The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Difficult to reach low range...

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:06 PM
Reaction score
After a bit of use the high low shift and centre diff lock go in and out quite easily but still a little clunky as was the old Defenders. Have not had the need yet for back and front diff locks so can’t comment on that.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:06 AM
Reaction score
Unfortunately today I entirely failed to be able to get mine into low range. I have had in low range with centre diff unlocked before and it went in quite easily but today I could lock the centre diff but no low range. This is potentially a big problem, I was on a track with some pretty knarly bits and there was some risk that I could get stuck, unfortunately that also means that there are no front and rear diff lockers available to you either because INEOS in their wisdom have made it a condition of use to be in low range. Fortunately the car is impressive enough that it managed even some quite knarly bits in high range with centre diff locked. I also had shovel, Maxtrax and winch and recovery gear if it came to that. But a bit bummed about this, tried all the tricks mentioned in this thread but nothing worked so I guess it’s off to the Agent to look at it. 😡

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Unfortunately today I entirely failed to be able to get mine into low range. I have had in kow range with centre diff unlocked before and it went in quite easily but today I could lock the centre diff but no low range. This is potentially a big problem, i was on atrack with some pretty knarly bits and there was some risk that I could get stuck, unfortunately that also means that there are no fromt and rear diff lockers available to you either because INEOS in their wisdom have made it a condition of use to be in low range. Fortunately the car is impressive enough that it managed even some quite knarly bit in high range with centre diff locked. I also had shovel, Maxtrax and winch and recovery gear if it came to that. But a bit bummed about this, tried all the tricks mentioned in this thread but nothing worked so I guess it’s off to the Agent to lool at it. 😡
So are you still unable to enter low range mode when you got home?
Is it the cable?

Oskar

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:06 PM
Reaction score
We all know it is hard to get it into low. I guess this smooth out over time. This time I pulled the whole lever of and did hold it in my hands. This was scalie. Fortunately you can just push it back. I think nothing got destroyed.

My advice: Be careful not to apply any pull force.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So are you still unable to enter low range mode when you got home?
Is it the cable?
No can’t get into low range, literally can’t apply any more force, it just isn’t going to go. Don’t know why, will take it to agent next week

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
No can’t get into low range, literally can’t apply any more force, it just isn’t going to go. Don’t know why, will take it to agent next week
Someone needs to get the innards posted online.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
sorry to hear that, sounds like something has come amiss down below. mine rarely goes in unless the wheels rotate, a cm or two is usually sufficient to hit home. mine seems far from ideal. High and low un-locked are positive from the get go and once wheels rotate the lever seems very solid, same for Low locked. High locked however seems vague whether selecting or selected and rolling. All a bit 'off'. I got the awful grating sounds twice on the second day of operating the lever so I'm always very wary now. It's not like you can feather the clutch to 'test', you are all 'in' with automatic and then have to try not panic and find N or P.

Good luck and keep us posted how you get on.

Wonder if those with changed transmissions found any difference in smoothness of operation??

Coco

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:06 AM
Reaction score
Latest news on the range change front: I drove back from town (about 5 minutes) and on a whim, tried to get into low range. It was not exactly easy, but I was able to get smoothly in and out half a dozen times. Drove 10m and...it wouldn't repeat. Anyway, I live in hope that it will eventually decide to cooperate. I'm treating it as a win!

Unfortunately today I entirely failed to be able to get mine into low range. I have had in low range with centre diff unlocked before and it went in quite easily but today I could lock the centre diff but no low range. This is potentially a big problem, I was on a track with some pretty knarly bits and there was some risk that I could get stuck, unfortunately that also means that there are no front and rear diff lockers available to you either because INEOS in their wisdom have made it a condition of use to be in low range. Fortunately the car is impressive enough that it managed even some quite knarly bits in high range with centre diff locked. I also had shovel, Maxtrax and winch and recovery gear if it came to that. But a bit bummed about this, tried all the tricks mentioned in this thread but nothing worked so I guess it’s off to the Agent to look at it. 😡
Hi Guys, I just got a delivery 2days ago and today tried to put her into off road mode. then encountered the same problem described here. I rolled a car a little, but the same result. so I wonder how you guys solve the issue. any suggestion/advice are welcome. my dealer is 330mile away, hoping a solution without visiting them..

Vineyard Matt

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I had ALL of your pain, and to be honest ('flame all you like with the 'yer its a like an old defender and a bit hit and miss') it wasn't right and no matter what shifting, shunting, rolling and whatever you fancy just didn't work, mine is one of the early cars, from March 2023 and registered May 2023 and in the end the dealer just changed the transfer box and things were much better (after 3 visits). They did make a mistake and not 'code' the new box with the main computer so it had to go back in as all sorts of bings/bongs and gearbox warnings were created which were basically 'false', as in it was mechanically fine but the software thought there was a problem.

At the end of the day it is a new vehicle, but it is an expensive vehicle, and I was using a lot of force to try to engage low range which was just indicative of a problem. I am used to heavy machines (I have a vineyard and tractors, old and new!) but I know when a gearbox was not doing what it should.

Since it was changed, it is much better, I make sure to select low range once a week and have a roll back and forth on the gravel even if I'm not doing a lot of muddy stuff.

Honestly folks, it shouldn't be an arm wrestle and a juggle and a worry about am I going to snap something on a brand new car... so take it in, have the dealer try and change gear, fail... and fix it...

Thats my UK two pennies :)

PS. to be clear I absolutely LOVE my car, I am a superfan if you like, but honestly the gearbox was f*cked on delivery and needed attention.

Matt

LeeroyJ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:06 PM
Reaction score
Incase its not clear to people, the shifter moves in a box pattern. It doesn't matter if you go clockwise or counter-clockwise when you are going from high to low center lock or no lock, but you must move the shifter along the edges of the "box", not diagonally or through the middle.

Vineyard Matt

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Incase its not clear to people, the shifter moves in a box pattern. It doesn't matter if you go clockwise or counter-clockwise when you are going from high to low center lock or no lock, but you must move the shifter along the edges of the "box", not diagonally or through the middle.
A fair point, I'd describe it as moving in straight lines , side to side or down and up (not dragging across the centre), but if the box is never able to select low range with all manner of doing it when rolling at slow speed, uphill, downhill, in neutral, in park, then all the bings and bongs start (saying gearbox problem) then it probably wasn't right at the start. As I say, they changed the transfer box, probably correctly fitted the tensions on the cables and with a bit of 'use' it works. There are people out there who are trying to use a LOT of force to change the range, or select the centre diff. It shouldn't be that hard.

My advice, before you drive the car away from your dealer, especially if it's far, at least have a try to select low range or have them do it. Likely it will be on the parking lot and not gravel or mud so don't go ripping it up... but at least have them show you it can be done without a crazy arm wrestle... :)

Matt

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I just got a delivery 2days ago and today tried to put her into off road mode. then encountered the same problem described here. I rolled a car a little, but the same result. so I wonder how you guys solve the issue. any suggestion/advice are welcome. my dealer is 330mile away, hoping a solution without visiting them..
In my case I had to get a new transfer case.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have used low box a lot recently, it is definitely easier to get in and out of gear than it was at the start. Whether that is due to the car loosening up or just me getting a feel for it I can’t say. Just like the old defenders it’s easier to get into gear if the car is rolling slightly, so on a hill allowing a slight roll forwards of backwards makes a difference. If you’re on the flat it can be trickier.
Choosing when to engage low box is the key, do it before you need it not once you’re stuck.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:06 AM
Reaction score
Many correct tips have already been given. I don't want to repeat everything, but I would like to share the following experience:
My vehicle was built in January 2023 and the transfer case has just been replaced (yes, it shifts better). But:
I was also able to shift well with the previous gearbox. On an incline, I let the vehicle roll very slowly in position N and shifted into LOW or HIGH with feeling. On level ground, I drove in D, shifted to N at slow speed and just before the vehicle came to a standstill, I pulled the lever to LOW or vice versa to HIGH with feeling.
I always use the gear reduction once a week. Over time, it has also become easier to shift gears.
Incidentally, a friend of mine also claimed that he couldn't shift his gearbox or could only do so with great force (never do it!). I have now driven his vehicle. He was sitting next to me. I did it as I always do and didn't notice any difference to mine. It works for him now too.

Coco

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:06 AM
Reaction score
Update- after many trials, I could manage it. I was able to move H to H Lock somehow, and figured how much force I needed. then tried H to L a couple of times, then probably 3rd time, I was able to put it to L! In my case, when I pull down from H to L, if I pull down 1-2mm toward right side, success rate went up:).
As someone mentioned this shouldn't be this hard, but had a great feeling of conquering!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom