The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diff locks (operation)

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:57 AM
Reaction score
Pretty simple .. the way the lockers work there is only little chance that both locking elements are in exact position to engage. This means in most situations some yards or wheel turns straight are required to engage.
Finally I agree to all other posters, be always terrain aware. Engage before you get in trouble. And avoid risks.. the transfer case and locks support you to minimize the risk.. at the end its always the ability of person in control. I never received professional off road trainin. Most I learned by doing and sheer luck to never got stuck so far, what happened to me on a grass road uphill I got slowly sliding backwards.. Indeed a tyre topic .. the Disco was at that time my company car and I had no choice then. The other topic was similar.. where I nearly got stuck but managed to back out rear with aid of electronic and a soft foot on accellerator.
Offroad means at first get driving experience, pay attention to terrain and appropriate tyres. 4WD and all other wont help if there is no link between vehicle and terrain

Local time
12:57 AM
Reaction score
Yes, but is it correct? 🤔

You think I just made it up ? :whistle:
Is it only Ineos personel who know these things ? no one else has any clue about anything ?

@DCPU is right, actually there is a grainflat return sping and a flummox plate that intertwine with a grippen ring that grabs the planet gear and holds the crown in a vice grip.
2 longitudinal rods rotate next to the gripen ring which allows the 5 internal cogs to stay in line with the external rotating wheels (not the 'wheels' that wou;ld be silly) so the grainflat spring can feel where each of the halfshafts are.
Keeping them in alignment to each other is the key and by holding one of the 5 cogs (the baby weights) it's easy to ensure there is no rotational forces disrupting the chain and holds the vehicles wheel still.

It's an Ineos invention and is propriatory to them, only thier service center personel really understand how the diff-lock works which is why they charge you over £100 an hour to do all of those neccesary jobs (like check the baby weights and ensure the flummox plate hasn't smoothed).

Mitchell300

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Tested my diff locks yesterday. Initially indication of engagement and disengagement of rear and front diff’s didn’t show for approximately 20 metres. When tested again the indication showed engagement and disengagement as soon as the wheels moved. This was the first time I had tried them. All working as expected.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Tested my diff locks yesterday. Initially indication of engagement and disengagement of rear and front diff’s didn’t show for approximately 20 metres. When tested again the indication showed engagement and disengagement as soon as the wheels moved. This was the first time I had tried them. All working as expected.
that's great to hear. when did you take dely and what is the VIN's last 4 (2xxx???)

Local time
Reaction score

You may find that after the locks are engaged, if you were to drive in a figure of eight, that you may need to reverse a small distance to get them to 'unlock', which is normal.

If there is any tension in the longitudinal rods, the grippen washer and flummox plate hold the baby weights to ransom.
Reversing will relieve the tension and the planet will release its grip on the crown (called a Megan moment in some circles).

Mitchell300

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You may find that after the locks are engaged, if you were to drive in a figure of eight, that you may need to reverse a small distance to get them to 'unlock', which is normal.

If there is any tension in the longitudinal rods, the grippen washer and flummox plate hold the baby weights to ransom.
Reversing will relieve the tension and the planet will release its grip on the crown (called a Megan moment in some circles).
@Miki any chance of an exploded diagram showing the parts you mentioned ? It would be easier for me to understand, thanks. Tried looking online but couldn’t find anything. 😃

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well goodbye, your the first person I’ve blocked
Hm. if he has information - and passes it on as good as possible but content is confidential - so I understand. To me its the same. There is some information that I can tell verbally to get an idea - but not disclose written or pictoral form. This is regulatory.. - I ve got customers who want a solution, - but do not tell for what it is intended. - What they do is, please imagine the following situation. Then they explain this and want a solution. What I do is similar...

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:57 PM
Reaction score
Is the manual available in PDF form online? I hadn’t seen that.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:57 PM
Reaction score
Just tried my Lockers and all worked great. Took a little time to disengage them though!
Your lockers were saying "are you sure? Are you really sure, you want us off?"

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Good news! Today at Matzker Offroad test drive event, my rear and front Diff Locks work as they should. On the Offroad trail, they were not really needed, but a surface on the trail which allow to use.
So now all Locks, Modes tested and everything do the work, they have to do🤗

Battery was this morning around 89%, after approximately 200km drive over the day, back to 95%. this morning a collection of false error messages, this afternoon nothing. At my car, I am really sure, that the messages are connected to the level of power from battery.

P.S. Met @Maxwell at the event 👋

Local time
Reaction score
🤗
Battery was this morning around 89%, after approximately 200km drive over the day, back to 95%. this morning a collection of false error messages, this afternoon nothing. At my car, I am really sure, that the messages are connected to the level of power from battery.

That's interesting..
Are you getting your battery info from the Grenny console ?

I would reccomend one of these (2 if you have the 2nd battery).
They attach to the battery directly and then you download an app which tells you the status of the battery.
Not in a % scale, but the actual voltage.

My Aston slowly discharges so it was usefull for keeping an eye on the status and I now have one in my old Defender to keep an eye on things too.
As the cars are parked within Bluetooth distance from my office and the app runs on my phone, I can check regularly.

Addendum:

Just found one that does an SoC too ...

Back
Top Bottom