The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diesel Diesel Oil Specification Thread (B57 Engines)

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:25 PM
Reaction score
I certainly won’t be tied to a particular brand as long as it meets the right specifications 👍🏼
I'd tend to agree. I just wanted the details of the nominated oil to better understand what the specification is.

The fact that it may not be available in the UK might also be a factor is what is used.

I wonder if the agent's can tell us what they are using? I recall Lotus specifying a very particular Castrol product but the local servicing dealer refusing to use it because they were also a Ferrari dealer and were mandated to use Shell products. When challenged, the response was "if it's good enough for a Ferrari V12 engine then it should be fine in your 4 cylinder Rover one."

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
if you use the right spec oil regardless of the brand in my case sae 0w-20 bmw ll-17fe it will be suitable for all operating temperatures that I will operate in including high ambient temperatures which as per the manual all the recommended viscosity grades of oil are suitable for. That’s suits me

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:25 AM
Reaction score
In addition to engine oils it would also be useful to get fluid/oil specs and capacities for power steering, brakes, transfer case, auto transmission, diffs, and coolant.

Cheers
Steve

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So this morning's answer from my Petronas helpline (Technical Support UK) after getting a reply from their HQ in Italy:

Screenshot_20230331_095836.jpg
The link given is this:

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think the issue with the factory oil is that it’s thin to aid with fuel economy. This however compromises its ability to lubricate under high pressures and temperatures. I’d say that for a hard working engine the 0w40 would be better. So long as it is a low SAPS oil.

What is the spec for Australia? SA? Middle East? Is it still 0w30 in the desert?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think the issue with the factory oil is that it’s thin to aid with fuel economy. This however compromises its ability to lubricate under high pressures and temperatures. I’d say that for a hard working engine the 0w40 would be better. So long as it is a low SAPS oil.

What is the spec for Australia? SA? Middle East? Is it still 0w30 in the desert?
Australian Owner's Manual lists the same oil for the diesel ~ Petronas Syntium 0W30 DG.

Local time
Reaction score
Wonder what BMW who made the engine recommend?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Good question.

I do know that I have seen two mentions that BMW LL-12FE (the oil referenced on the bonnet label) is not suited for engines with 2 or more turbochargers. The first is in post #9: "Not for diesel engines with 2, or 3 TC's." and the second in post #44 link from Opie Oils: "Not suitable for engines with 2 or 3 turbos."

I thought I'd read that the B57 has two turbos?

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:25 AM
Reaction score
Good question.

I do know that I have seen two mentions that BMW LL-12FE (the oil referenced on the bonnet label) is not suited for engines with 2 or more turbochargers. The first is in post #9: "Not for diesel engines with 2, or 3 TC's." and the second in post #44 link from Opie Oils: "Not suitable for engines with 2 or 3 turbos."

I thought I'd read that the B57 has two turbos?
Have you got a reference for that? If you do a lookup on Hi-tec oils or Valvoline against the quad turbo B57 engined X7 M50D both suggest an LL-12FE spec oil…

Reactions: PBD

ARF

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
7:25 AM
Reaction score
Increased viscosity = more fuel use, but less oil consumption, but obviously better in high temp.
Sir Jim is a chemical engineer so he might off had some input in to oil spec, it is his area of expertise.
Higher viscosity can lead to increased wear, fuel and oil consumption in a modern engine developed with tight tolerances.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:25 PM
Reaction score
I believe cars should be vegetarian. Only the finest oils for my ride:

1680265610730.png

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Except the Motul data sheet is quite clear:
View attachment 7807466
Yep, spelt out in words of one syllable so to speak. Which is now making me wonder if the diesel is a twin turbo. I'm sure I've seen Ineos literature stating it is though, conflicting information in respect of the same vehicle. ??.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
2:25 PM
Reaction score
Well, this thread is going monograde.

It's quickly become apparent that we are going to need a thread for petrol and diesel variants.

This thread is now the Diesel thread.

I'll copy any special posts over to the petrol thread which will run separately.

If anyone wants to start doing any oil analysis then that will be a stand alone thread.

So the rabbit hole goes deeper....

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Official current oil supplier for US is BP (formulations are based on Castrol Edge)

But I think BMW don't do diesel engines there now?

Official oil supplier for EMEA (Europe, Middle East & Afria) was Shell

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yep, spelt out in words of one syllable so to speak. Which is now making me wonder if the diesel is a twin turbo. I'm sure I've seen Ineos literature stating it is though, conflicting information in respect of the same vehicle. ??.
I've definitely seen it described as a twin turbo *; but I'm unclear whether it's a genuine twin turbo or a twin scroll turbo. Often the latter is called a twin turbo in marketing literature whilst technically being a single turbo.

* "The carefully calibrated characteristics help the driver to confidently manage the vehicles momentum and grip without stressing the engine, ensuring full control when tackling tricky terrain. The refined turbo petrol engine produces 286PS (210kW) and 450Nm (332 lb ft) of torque, while the twin-turbo diesel generates 249PS (183kW) and 550Nm (406 lb ft), for even greater pulling power. Start/stop is built-in, increasing range and preserving air quality when the vehicle is stationary.
[INEOS Grenadier Press Kit - UK - 29 April 2022.pdf]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom