The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

3rd party Videos Defender v Grenadier

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:12 AM
Reaction score
@Stu_Barnes could you change the spelling of Grenadier in the thread title please. I can’t work out how to change 👍🏼

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The steering looks pretty good to me. This guy takes his hands off of the wheel at speed and takes his seatbelt off 😳😂😂

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Love the sound ; I wasn't able to gun the proto I drove in the rough.
I've probably said before , I can't wait , well I'll repeat myself. I CAN'T WAIT!
Great sound. I guess I’ll be driving it a bit faster than my defender just for the sound effect 😂

jamgolf

Forum Supporter
Local time
3:12 AM
Reaction score
This is a good side by side comparison. Everyone's needs are different and for this reviewer's needs Defender makes more sense or perhaps its just an emotional attachment or nostalgic type of choice for him. For me, based on this comparison, it would be the Grenadier without hesitation.

Last edited:
Local time
2:12 AM
Reaction score
Good video. The on-road experience looks good, but... at about 10 mins in he has to fumble with the door, seatbelt and BMW shifter to get the car to agree to go into drive!

I really hope that some of those safety checks can be disabled - it shouldn't take that much cognitive load just to get a car to start moving.

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Great sound. I guess I’ll be driving it a bit faster than my defender just for the sound effect 😂
The defender makes the same sound but it is drowned out by the rattles and road noise. :)

I will always have a soft spot for the Defender, Just like my favourite cat who passed away, he was super naughty and destructive but a wonderful character.

Years ago I met a guy form a large Japanese off-roading magazine, he had 5 or 6 Toyotas but said the Defender was his favourite as its a hobby car, there is always something to do on the Defender. The Toyota's just always worked.

Last edited:

PanoramaJJ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:12 AM
Reaction score
...the Defender was his favourite as its a hobby car, there is always something to do on the Defender. The Toyota's just always worked.
Good friend of mine LOVES his 110TD5 - and the often lies under the car, and works and repairs and repairs again... there is always something to do, that is right. He will never sell it. As I don´t like to repair, I drive a Toyota - it just works - and I will never sell my Toyota, too.
Now I hope that the INEOS will be the same car for me - it will just work.

ATP

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:12 PM
Reaction score
A James May quote...
"And as one Australian put it to me: "If you want to go into the Outback, take a Land Rover. But if you want to come back out again, make sure it's a Land Cruiser." And I *hate* having to say that."

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:12 PM
Reaction score
Good video. The on-road experience looks good, but... at about 10 mins in he has to fumble with the door, seatbelt and BMW shifter to get the car to agree to go into drive!

I really hope that some of those safety checks can be disabled - it shouldn't take that much cognitive load just to get a car to start moving.
3 tons on the move.. one's cognitive faculties should always be sharp... mental check-lists should be "part and parcel" of the privilege of being in the driving seat!

Local time
2:12 AM
Reaction score
3 tons on the move.. one's cognitive faculties should always be sharp... mental check-lists should be "part and parcel" of the privilege of being in the driving seat!

Absolutely - my point isn't that he should drive away with the door open and seatbelt off, it's that the car appears to be nannying him. There are also off-road situations where I would want to move the car with the door ajar and seatbelt off, and I don't want to be messing around with belt buckles etc. And more importantly: could those safety checks result in the car refusing to drive if a sensor fails?

In a BMW sedan, that kind of problem might make the owner late to a business meeting. In the Grenadier, it might result in the unfortunate owner being vulture food. ;) (or getting the satellite phone out for an expensive rescue)

But if off-road mode disables the safety checks then this isn't really a problem.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:12 PM
Reaction score
"Land Rover executives believe its respective model brands are strong enough to stand alone, "

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... Yeah right.
They only got where they are on the back of the green oval's core values.

Local time
Reaction score
I believe Land Rover SHOULD have built a
Grenadier type replacement, in fact they could have most likely used the original Defender pressings so it would have looked even more like the original.

However their market has become luxury vehicles and the "Defender" that they have built is designed for that market. lt's selling extremely well despite large price hikes.
So Land Rover would say it's a success. l
don't doubt that if they'd made a "a Grenadier" it would have also sold very well, but they probably don't want the Utility image any more.

Look at it this way, you now have a choice, new Defender or Grenadier (or keep your old one) and that's got to be a good thing.

Personally l love the look of the Grenadier, and plan to order one. l currently have a new Defender having traded my 2005 110 TD5 after 90,000 miles in eight years of ownership.

Back
Top Bottom