The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Damaged Touch Screen

jamesfielding

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:47 PM
Reaction score
Okay, lets get the obvious out of the way.
Yes, I was driving with a tube between the front seats, no I wasn't intelligent enough to put a lid on said tube, no I don't have a screen protector (despite owning one and constantly saying I must put it on the screen) and finally yes I know all of the above are ridiculous as individual failures, never mind compounded with all 3.

Now to business;
- In said tube between the seats was a sample section of aluminium profile, which, when I braked rather sharply, slid down the tube and straight into the touch screen. I am thankful its only a surface cut, but with only 4k miles on the clock, still very disheartening.

Question;
- Does anyone know if the top layer of the screen is replaceable or am I looking at a full new screen to bring it back to new status?

Hard to take a macro picture with an iPhone, but hopefully you can get the gist of the damage. Not critical but super annoying.

Attachments

• IMG_9037.JPG
    IMG_9037.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_9036.JPG
    IMG_9036.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_9035.JPG
    IMG_9035.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 68

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
10:47 AM
Reaction score
I feel your pain... Sorry I have no advice to give, just sympathy. This is something I could have done on my car, now I'll think about it.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Okay, lets get the obvious out of the way.
Yes, I was driving with a tube between the front seats, no I wasn't intelligent enough to put a lid on said tube, no I don't have a screen protector (despite owning one and constantly saying I must put it on the screen) and finally yes I know all of the above are ridiculous as individual failures, never mind compounded with all 3.

Now to business;
- In said tube between the seats was a sample section of aluminium profile, which, when I braked rather sharply, slid down the tube and straight into the touch screen. I am thankful its only a surface cut, but with only 4k miles on the clock, still very disheartening.

Question;
- Does anyone know if the top layer of the screen is replaceable or am I looking at a full new screen to bring it back to new status?

Hard to take a macro picture with an iPhone, but hopefully you can get the gist of the damage. Not critical but super annoying.
Knowing Ineos I doubt they do just a replacement screen face part. But you may get lucky.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:47 PM
Reaction score
really upsetting. This will not help you but there are glass shield like the one for mobile phones accessible at aliexpress an other sources.
I "installed" one as I don´t want to have catches on the display in 20 years. Leave alone the dangers I obviously didn´t have in mind till now!
it is no rocket science but an easy way to avoid such trouble.

(I do not participate in any way)

jamesfielding

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I've spoken to a dealer who basically said what everyone is thinking;

It's a £1,800 part to replace the screen as it needs to be the whole head unit.
Its a fairly easy swap with (from memory) 6 screws and a plug.
However, he did say, the head unit software may need to be flashed which may take longer.

Thanks for all the sympathy / abuse :ROFLMAO:

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:47 PM
Reaction score

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
🧐
Wasn’t I referring to a glass cover for the display?
But anyway I don’t know whether the glued light protectors are a wise or a stupid idea. Maybe it’s better to loose one than to have a serious body repair.
sorry bemax, yes you correctly linked the screen protector. I just went down an aliexpress rabbit hole after clicking your link. The front light protectors are screwed in, though the rears look to have to be glued. Would like some rear ones but not those ones, the rear light cluster imo is very exposed, less so the front ones.

Back
Top Bottom