The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Custom load bed fabrication resources in NA? Dog friendly idea

Eyedogtor

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:33 PM
Reaction score
Hey there,

So I've spent a couple days with the new rig and logged a couple hundred miles - and fortunately for me, no issues - just fun.

So, my mind had turned to mods. We have two Goldens (and I'm sure there will be a third soon), and looks like I'll need a ramp for them to get in.

I've seen the storage solutions for the back that are about 18 cm high, so when you put the back seats down there is a completely flat flloor. Many of them have gaps around the sides that could trap a leg or paw and wouldn't be dog friendly. I'd love to have a complete raised deck divided into thirds below it, with two pull out storage drawers on the left and right, and a deployable dog ramp in the center. It could pull out, and then unflod.

Thought on this? Wouldn't be a huge modification from whats already available from some outfitters.

Thanks,

Pat

Rubicon Maybe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:33 AM
Reaction score
I agree completely. Been hunting for a dog friendly drawer system that would be flush with the rear seat (when it is folded down). I loved the one, Big Country 4x4's industry-leading Savute Drawers. Unfortunately they are too tall and extend above the folded seats. But they did a wonderful design that has no gaps. Wish they had designed one that was a bit more shallow, it would be in my Grenadier already, lol.

Rubicon Maybe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:33 AM
Reaction score
I like these drawers…still allows for some storage after the wheel wells.

Diabolical, Inc drawers
I would agree that they are nice and apparently endorsed by Overland Guy, lol. Unfortunately there are gaps along the sides that a dog could step into and potentially break a leg. It also has a raised edge running fore and aft on both sides that could also be stepped on by my dog which could result in injury.

But they are a nice option for others no doubt.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:33 AM
Reaction score
I would agree that they are nice and apparently endorsed by Overland Guy, lol. Unfortunately there are gaps along the sides that a dog could step into and potentially break a leg. It also has a raised edge running fore and aft on both sides that could also be stepped on by my dog which could result in injury.

Hi Rubicon Maybe, I ordered the Diabolical, Inc Drawers. Waiting for them. Perhaps you could put a 3/4" piece of plywood across the top to span side to side, however leave the middle open for a pull out aluminum or plywood walk up for a dog. Additionally, the rails on the side do not have to be installed. My plan with the side rails is to mount them flush with the top and use them to help span to either side. Alan, who owns Diabolical, Inc uses aluminum in his drawer system and lifetime warranted Accuride Drawer Slides.
Perhaps something to consider.
DaBull

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I understand. I keep my dogs in the backseat on a hammock. they don't move around too much and I can keep a better eye on them there. I have the luxury of typically only having 1 other person in the vehicle with me so keep the dogs a bit more contained in the back seat works better for me and I can keep all my gear and other "crap" in the cargo area.

Do your dog(s) move around a lot in the cargo area when you are driving? If not then having that space may not be that much of a concern.

Local time
Reaction score
Hey there,

So I've spent a couple days with the new rig and logged a couple hundred miles - and fortunately for me, no issues - just fun.

So, my mind had turned to mods. We have two Goldens (and I'm sure there will be a third soon), and looks like I'll need a ramp for them to get in.

I've seen the storage solutions for the back that are about 18 cm high, so when you put the back seats down there is a completely flat flloor. Many of them have gaps around the sides that could trap a leg or paw and wouldn't be dog friendly. I'd love to have a complete raised deck divided into thirds below it, with two pull out storage drawers on the left and right, and a deployable dog ramp in the center. It could pull out, and then unflod.

Thought on this? Wouldn't be a huge modification from whats already available from some outfitters.

Thanks,

Pat
Goose Gear guy is on this forum. Let him know what you're looking for. I had a gap with a DIY floor and injured my Bruno. I posted some ramp and step information on AngusMcG build thread.

Last edited:

Eyedogtor

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I agree completely. Been hunting for a dog friendly drawer system that would be flush with the rear seat (when it is folded down). I loved the one, Big Country 4x4's industry-leading Savute Drawers. Unfortunately they are too tall and extend above the folded seats. But they did a wonderful design that has no gaps. Wish they had designed one that was a bit more shallow, it would be in my Grenadier already, lol.

Goose Gear guy is on this forum. Let him know what you're looking for. I had a gap with a DIY floor and injured my Bruno. I posted some ramp and step information on AngusMcG build thread.
Thanks very much - and sorry to hear about Bruno!

Local time
Reaction score
Painful but not serious. The skin on his leg got pinched between two sections of deck that weren't screwed down. I learned my lesson.

Last edited:

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
9:33 AM
Reaction score
Hey there,

Thanks,

Pat

I made a dogbox for my pups in the backseat of my truck, and I used aluminum extrusion. In my case I bought it in lengths from a place called Faztech, but as a person in the USA you will be able to get it off Amazon or directly from the company 80/20 Inc.

This stuff is billed as "an erector set for industry" and that's exactly what it is. It's aluminum and very strong (much stronger than square tubing) because of the profile. Its very easy to cut with wood tools because the aluminum is soft, and because of the extrusion it's easy to mount things to like hinges for a folding ramp.

You could build a very simple, lightweight frame with the extrusion, elevated to allow for drawers, and then cut a piece of plywood to serve as the lid, and have either a slide-out ramp or a fold out ramp to support the pups entry and exit. The extrusion will be plenty strong even in it's smallest dimensional size, I suspect.

Local time
Reaction score
I made a dogbox for my pups in the backseat of my truck, and I used aluminum extrusion. In my case I bought it in lengths from a place called Faztech, but as a person in the USA you will be able to get it off Amazon or directly from the company 80/20 Inc.

This stuff is billed as "an erector set for industry" and that's exactly what it is. It's aluminum and very strong (much stronger than square tubing) because of the profile. Its very easy to cut with wood tools because the aluminum is soft, and because of the extrusion it's easy to mount things to like hinges for a folding ramp.

You could build a very simple, lightweight frame with the extrusion, elevated to allow for drawers, and then cut a piece of plywood to serve as the lid, and have either a slide-out ramp or a fold out ramp to support the pups entry and exit. The extrusion will be plenty strong even in it's smallest dimensional size, I suspect.

That's what I would have liked. Modular is better! Make sure to use SS screws because zinc reacts with aluminum and degrades. The Owens were high quality but clunky single purpose welded aluminum boxes. Eventually I wound up taking apart a large collapsible steel mesh dog crate and hinging the pieces over the camper windows. The bottoms attach to the bed rail with T-nuts. That made the whole truck bed one big dog crate and added a security mesh to the awning windows.

Attachments

• IMG_9579 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_9579 - Copy.JPG
    200.5 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom