The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Custom Camper Works

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:17 PM
Reaction score
I actually trust mine more than most of the ones I have seen out there.
Not sure how things are handled downunder, but if you lose cargo, break something, … with a rack you bought from the market, the maker will blame things on you anyways, so it does not make a difference after all.
Take a 50kg rack. Go offroad, which cuts the 150kg into half for most makers. As soon as you pack more than 25kg on top, no insurance or warranty will do you any good.
Here the problem will be that if you get pulled over for a roadside check and the cops see no ADR compliance then you will be putting your vehicle on a tow truck or taking the roof rack off on the side of the road.
Same problem with using rope to hold stuff on if the rope doesn't have a listed load rating.
A few years ago a guy went to Bunnings hardware and got some treated pine posts.
He tied them to his home made roof racks with some straps and when he hit the brakes they came off and killed two pedestrians on the footpath.
He went to jail.

Reactions: PBD

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:17 PM
Reaction score
Here the problem will be that if you get pulled over for a roadside check and the cops see no ADR compliance then you will be putting your vehicle on a tow truck or taking the roof rack off on the side of the road.
Same problem with using rope to hold stuff on if the rope doesn't have a listed load rating.
A few years ago a guy went to Bunnings hardware and got some treated pine posts.
He tied them to his home made roof racks with some straps and when he hit the brakes they came off and killed two pedestrians on the footpath.
He went to jail.
I understand. But a sticker does not prevent dummies from using things wrong.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
4:17 AM
Reaction score
Here we go -> svg vector file with all my parts. Can not upload svg files here, so hope this works.
  • The oak sliders and connectors are all 20x20mm and not listed here.
  • I rounded most corners when sanding, but only captured the big ones with 50mm radius here.
  • Levels are 12mm. Walls are 9mm.
    Total weight, wood and screws, is 40kg so far.
  • Drawer and boxes excluded.
  • Still have not made up my mind on milling pockets. Need to run numbers to understand of saving that few kg makes a difference.
For clarification. I am not a professional carpenter, but just a bloke who loves working with wood after spending days at the desk. So some pros out there might find my choice of material and approach weird. I picked what I use to work with and felt confident getting it up quickly for the upcoming trip.

Looking forward what ideas you come up with based on my first attempt.

Final touch after mounting it in the Gren will be some wooden triangles in the back corners for additional side support, some foam protection on those corners that sit close to car elements, some sort of pins to stop the toilet and boxes to slide backwards. The wooden drawer bottom left for our kitchen stuff is next.

Future post first trip additions will be a table in the back door with some shelfs inside. Saw a very nice one on the Abenteuer & Allrad this week that was very close to my plans, but at 650€, I chose to build it on my own. Might even be able to make some more and offer them here. At least if they turn out great and cheaper than the ones hitting market…

View attachment 7815793

View attachment 7815794

Greetings!
Here’s a link to the svg file for download from the forum resources section. Thanks again @das mo for providing this.

This could be the first shelving unit in a Grenadier by a real owner.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
UPDATE: I have removed the dxf file because thanks to the hint of @das mo it turned out that I have to correct the scaling.

I have exported it to an Autocad R12 dxf.

No changes, just an export. Convenient for librecad, Autocad and many other applications.

If this helps anyone I'll be happy to upload it. However, @Stu_Barnes would have to allow the upload of *.dxf files.

It is easy to take and annotate the dimensions that way (example, not complete):

Last edited:

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have exported it to an Autocad R12 dxf.

No changes, just an export. Convenient for librecad, Autocad and many other applications.

If this helps anyone I'll be happy to upload it. However, @Stu_Barnes would have to allow the upload of *.dxf files.

It is easy to take and annotate the dimensions that way (example, not complete):

View attachment 7818315
Hm. I am pretty sure the base plate is 1020mm and not 817mm between the wheel arches.

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all.

Quick update from my setup after few days in the field.

IMG_8112.jpeg

IMG_8102.jpeg

Rack is solid. Slept up there with the 4 of us. Also tested the setup by hanging on the rack above esch foot and movement was in the 1-2mm range. Let‘s hope that will stay that way.
IMG_8130.jpeg

Had quiet some wind noise caused by the little gap between rack and RTT, so milled another oak piece to decorate the car.

IMG_8132.jpeg

All smooth aside the known software circus.

Safe travels

Timo

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Hm. I am pretty sure the base plate is 1020mm and not 817mm between the wheel arches.
I didn't look at the numbers as I thought that the export is scaled correctly.

I'll have a look and correct the scaling factors if necessary. There is no save software, it seems ...

Thank you for the hint.

I have removed the wrong dxf file and will post a new one if I have time.

Pat

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all.

Quick update from my setup after few days in the field.

View attachment 7818960

View attachment 7818962

Rack is solid. Slept up there with the 4 of us. Also tested the setup by hanging on the rack above esch foot and movement was in the 1-2mm range. Let‘s hope that will stay that way.
View attachment 7818961

Had quiet some wind noise caused by the little gap between rack and RTT, so milled another oak piece to decorate the car.

View attachment 7818959

All smooth aside the known software circus.

Safe travels

Timo
Timo, you are an artist. Chapeau.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
@das mo
I have seen that your svg is shown in inkscape in pixels. When I set it to millimeters, the numbers change, but are still wrong as the resulting millimeters of course depend on the DPI value.

But if you tell me the exact millimeters of just the two magenta lines below then I can scale it correctly.

To avoid such problems (between software versions or whatever), I suggest to add a horizontal or vertical line in the drawing with a length dimensioning.

Only one line, either horizontal or vertical, is necessary, the longer the better. But I have asked for both to just cross check my scaling.

Screenshot_20230704_181038.jpg

Last edited:

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@das mo
I have seen that your svg is shown in inkscape in pixels. When I set it to millimeters, the numbers change, but are still wrong as the resulting millimeters of course depend on the DPI value.

But if you tell me the exact millimeters of just the two magenta lines below then I can scale it correctly.

To avoid such problems (between software versions or whatever), I suggest to add a horizontal or vertical line in the drawing with a length dimensioning.

Only one line, either horizontal or vertical, is necessary, the longer the better. But I have asked for both to just cross check my scaling.

View attachment 7818974
IMG_7495.jpeg

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Moin.

Seems my rack and RTT do not add much to the gas consumption.

Driving 80-100 km/h was taking 11,2L Diesel.

I logged 11,4L on the Autobahn in Germany up North driving 100-120km/h.

IMG_8269.jpeg

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, it seems to be quite aerodynamic.
And no fluttering due to airstream. (y)

Back