The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

CTEK SMARTPASS 120S and 250SE DC to DC charger basic features and install information

Xrford

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
5:12 AM
Reaction score
CTEK would not provide a customized 120 product to Ineos that had different performance/features than the regular consumer version and then give the product the same Model number. It would be a liability to ctek as that product could be removed from the vehicle and sold to someone else, who would not know that there was any difference from the regular consumer version because the product model number is the same. One way to check is if there were a manual provided in the ctek box left in the vehicle, from the factory, and see if it is the same as the online consumer product manual. My bet is CTEK‘s bid on the contract and decided the requirements did no require the jumper connections so they saved 20 cents per 120 by not including them and pocketed the profit.

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:12 PM
Reaction score
CTEK would not provide a customized 120 product to Ineos that had different performance/features than the regular consumer version and then give the product the same Model number. It would be a liability to ctek as that product could be removed from the vehicle and sold to someone else, who would not know that there was any difference from the regular consumer version because the product model number is the same. One way to check is if there were a manual provided in the ctek box left in the vehicle, from the factory, and see if it is the same as the online consumer product manual.
Well in @Tomdoc 2 seater version they don’t give it any name by the looks of it.
1692218558166.jpeg

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So I emailed customer service with this question

And got this somewhat unsatisfactory response which avoids the question of “is there any reason I shouldn’t connect this?”
Debating whether I should ask again.

View attachment 7823553
So I decided to follow up with
Maybe I should have been more specific, will it cause any issues or harm if I do choose to connect it?

And got this which once again didn’t answer my question directly
IMG_4519.jpeg

Had to be said that the consistency and quality of their responses is a bit 💩

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:12 PM
Reaction score
Well in @Tomdoc 2 seater version they don’t give it any name by the looks of it.
View attachment 7823621
I don’t know where the label has gone but my two seater petrol with dual battery system has the Ctek 120 S with label intact and the box is a standard box for a Ctek 120S so I really can’t imagine it would be anything exclusive to the Grenader IMG_1634.jpeg

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
check the model number on the back. There should be a sticker on the back with the model number. Perhaps ctek/Ineos decided to remove the branding to save an extra 10 cents per smart pass.😀
I do recall there being writing there. In fact I have a picture - slightly fuzzy but it definitely says CTEK

1692250584221.png

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Here is my message to customer service:

1692272173058.jpeg

1692272185761.jpeg

The reply is not very helpful as you see. Not sure Laura understands the question. Just got off the phone with them - they have no further info but are sending me an email contact. I am concerned about the veiled reference to "warranty" but remain absolutely convinced that the CTEK D250SE is a suitable addition to the vehicle. I was at pains to point out that there are lots of additional things and devices that we will all be adding to the car - when does such activity void the warranty?

For instance, if I put the missing connectors on the footwell wiring myself - is that a violation? Just an example.

Not going to deter me but it's another example of the disconnect with customer service.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ineos seem asleep at the wheel with regard to the extremely poor information and approach taken by their (outsourced?) customer services function.

It seems to directly contradict the ethos of the brand they've strived to establish.

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have separately emailed my agent - really what I want is a sensible chat with a technical person to clarify a simple point. It's not that complex really.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Here is my message to customer service:

View attachment 7823709

View attachment 7823710

The reply is not very helpful as you see. Not sure Laura understands the question. Just got off the phone with them - they have no further info but are sending me an email contact. I am concerned about the veiled reference to "warranty" but remain absolutely convinced that the CTEK D250SE is a suitable addition to the vehicle. I was at pains to point out that there are lots of additional things and devices that we will all be adding to the car - when does such activity void the warranty?

For instance, if I put the missing connectors on the footwell wiring myself - is that a violation? Just an example.

Not going to deter me but it's another example of the disconnect with customer service.
That’s a shit response. It was specifically stated in the beginning that they knew people would modify their vehicles and they effectively said they supported this. It’s also effectively against the consumer law in Australia to void a warranty unless you can prove a link between the modification and a failure. It’s also ridiculous to install a device in a vehicle that is designed to be paired with another device and provide neither specific advice on how to do it, nor specific advice to not do it and why. This shouldn’t be a complex question.

If anyone from INEOS is reading this. DO BETTER.

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That’s a shit response. It was specifically stated in the beginning that they knew people would modify their vehicles and they effectively said they supported this. It’s also effectively against the consumer law in Australia to void a warranty unless you can prove a link between the modification and a failure. It’s also ridiculous to install a device in a vehicle that is designed to be paired with another device and provide neither specific advice on how to do it, nor specific advice to not do it and why. This shouldn’t be a complex question.
Yes it is :poop:. I have already had a reply from my dealer (they really are very responsive (sorry @Jean Mercier ! :)) and they are contacting the technical dept at Ineos for me.

As is usual I will wait for a few days before emailing a more thoughtful reply to the customer service people asking for a senior technical person's contact address - the "email address" they promised me turned out to be the website page for Ineos warranty!!

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
5:12 AM
Reaction score
I wonder if 120 versions without a model number were intended to be installed as Ineos factory components (the paper label on @Tomdoc 's says Ineos and Ctek) but they ran out during the pandemic? Maybe they were forced to grab them off the shelf or from third party vendors. Didn't some folks get a factory Ctek 120S box in the boot or under a seat?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It is clear the INEOS No Help Desk is a waste of time on this issue. I will go to an auto electrician as part of the build out and lose no sleep over the lack of real help from the No Help Desk.

When I am remote I have to find a solution, it is a lot easier when I am home.

Local time
Reaction score
I wonder if 120 versions without a model number were intended to be installed as Ineos factory components (the paper label on @Tomdoc 's says Ineos and Ctek) but they ran out during the pandemic? Maybe they were forced to grab them off the shelf or from third party vendors. Didn't some folks get a factory Ctek 120S box in the boot or under a seat?
Yes got a ctek box

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have complained to customer service and they say they sent my original question to the technical team.

1692371133908.jpeg
I don't think they get the question - you can't use the existing 120S to add solar charging

Back
Top Bottom