The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Creating a shift lever worthy of the Grenadier

GrenadierUSA

CNC Machine Shop
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Local time
4:35 AM
Reaction score
I purchased a used BMW unit to dismantle and see if we could machine a better form. Harder than I thought. I actually damaged the ribbon cable while taking it apart. I was hoping to make a different style on a 5 axis mill but the engineering is a bit more involved than I have time for. Would definitely be a fun project though!!

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:35 AM
Reaction score
Just why? Why would you spend time and money, buggering around with something that works?You have got too much time on your hands?

Reactions: Max

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Dog bless the hackers of this world. We all benefit from what they create... knowledge, entertainment, aesthetic, utility, etc. 🤘

Agreed, for many this kind of thing IS their hobby, and what keeps their mind ticking over. Way out of my remit but I hope someone does does it out of sheer interest.

Last edited:

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:35 AM
Reaction score
I purchased a used BMW unit to dismantle and see if we could machine a better form. Harder than I thought. I actually damaged the ribbon cable while taking it apart. I was hoping to make a different style on a 5 axis mill but the engineering is a bit more involved than I have time for. Would definitely be a fun project though!!
Did you notice if the ribbon cable plug was the same between the IG and the BMW? I assume so, and the disassembly video posted above in this thread makes me think the ZF shifters should be swappable, but it's a costly mistake if I'm wrong.

GrenadierUSA

CNC Machine Shop
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Local time
Reaction score
Did you notice if the ribbon cable plug was the same between the IG and the BMW? I assume so, and the disassembly video posted above in this thread makes me think the ZF shifters should be swappable, but it's a costly mistake if I'm wrong.
Ill post photos of the one i took apart in a few days.

GrenadierUSA

CNC Machine Shop
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Local time
Reaction score
Just why? Why would you spend time and money, buggering around with something that works?You have got too much time on your hands?
No. But i have an undeniable urge to take things that don’t feel perfect and try to make them better. And i have a killer set of tools….

Attachments

• IMG_4587.jpeg
    IMG_4587.jpeg
    351.6 KB · Views: 66

BenTN

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Why throw shade on someone else's pet project? Have you got too much time on your hands?

This is a big world. Plenty of room for lots of energy and enthusiasm to be aimed at this new vehicle. I fail to see how criticizing anyone else's effort on this forum is a worthwhile contribution. Personally I enjoy the wide range of talents and approaches here.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:35 PM
Reaction score
Why throw shade on someone else's pet project? Have you got too much time on your hands?

This is a big world. Plenty of room for lots of energy and enthusiasm to be aimed at this new vehicle. I fail to see how criticizing anyone else's effort on this forum is a worthwhile contribution. Personally I enjoy the wide range of talents and approaches here.
I have said it many times.
This is the beauty of the vehicle
We all have different wants, needs and tastes.
The Grenadier is just a base for each of us to build on.

The difference between men and boys is the cost of their toys.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@BenTN Any ideas on an upgrade for the transfer case ball. I'd still want something black but maybe of a higher quality.

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:35 AM
Reaction score
“…A few things that were revealed:

- I don't need the PRND/M indication on the lever, since it is displayed larger up on the screen anyway (where your hand is not in the way of seeing it)…”

I would disagree on this point because the aforementioned PRND/M shift pattern is not displayed on the larger touchscreen until the shifter is moved out of the Park Position. The DIRECTION of that initial movement is quite critical, in that the shifter must be pushed FORWARD to engage Reverse Gear. This is exactly the opposite of the traditional PRNDL ‘pull BACK one notch to go back in Reverse’ arrangement.

In my Grenadier I rely on the shift pattern, as initially illuminated on the Shift Lever itself, to guide me to push it forward to back out of my garage (which is exactly the opposite of the shifter in my ‘97 Defender 90 that is parked alongside).

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
TBH, you get used to it. LR has had it for years. You’re right though in the beginning it’s counterintuitive.

I find a similar issue in some vehicles when you shift over to M / “Manual”. I normally think down shifting is associated with pulling the stick down, like going from 5th to 4th using a 5-speed, but in many of the automatic M modes, down shifting is achieved by pushing the stick forward. Because I’ve never owned an automatic till recently, it’s definitely required purposeful thought to avoid doing the opposite of what I want to happen.

Last edited:

BenTN

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

- I don't need the PRND/M indication on the lever, since it is displayed larger up on the screen anyway (where your hand is not in the way of seeing it)…”

I would disagree on this point because the aforementioned PRND/M shift pattern is not displayed on the larger touchscreen until the shifter is moved out of the Park Position. The DIRECTION of that initial movement is quite critical, in that the shifter must be pushed FORWARD to engage Reverse Gear. This is exactly the opposite of the traditional PRNDL ‘pull BACK one notch to go back in Reverse’ arrangement.

In my Grenadier I rely on the shift pattern, as initially illuminated on the Shift Lever itself, to guide me to push it forward to back out of my garage (which is exactly the opposite of the shifter in my ‘97 Defender 90 that is parked alongside).

This is a valid point.

In fact I have had more than one person try to move my car and be confused by the shifter, even in stock form without the cover in place. It is usually the unlock button that initially throws them off, but hiding the shift order can only make it more difficult.

I think that we will end up making it optional to leave the indicator/graphic on the lever exposed.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

I don't even look at the shifter
Press the button on the side with your thumb, pull back to go into drive and push forward to go into reverse.
Having done it hundreds of times I don't need to see it to know what to do.
When i had a three on the tree I didn't need to read anything to know what was where.
Floor shift manual,. never looked.

Last edited:

Greg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I actually like the shifter.
Its short, precise movements come in handy when trying to get into those tight parking spaces.
Swapping between drive and reverse is fast and positive without having to look.

Back
Top Bottom