The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

UK & Ireland Commercial and VAT reclaim

Status
Not open for further replies.

chriscroft

Production/Transit
Local time
1:46 PM
Reaction score
In the case of accounting for company vehicle tax, you couldn't be more wrong. The vehicles N1 class counts for absolutely nowt.

In the case for VED or "road tax", yes it does. More to the point for Ineos, in the case of how many "vehicles" it can sell with regards to emissions regulations it very much does.

Were it not for the N1 commercial Stationwagon, Ineos would have been pegged back at a maximum of 1700 cars registered per annum in the UK. Now though, it can legally sell 1700 cars and 4300 "commercial vehicles".

In the EU, Ineos can legally sell 10,000 cars and a further 22,000 "commercial vehicles".

This is the real reason there is a commercial version of the Grenadier. It's simply a way of getting around the emissions regulations which prohibit such inefficient cars. That many of us mistook this to mean the car would be classed as a commercial vehicle with HMRC is by the by. There's nothing wrong in getting it wrong as long as you realise your mistake. I made the mistake so I cancelled my order PDQ.

I repeat, none of this is of any interest to the tax man should you attempt to run any form of Ineos Grenadier (yes, including the two seater) through the books of a UK limited company as a commercial vehicle for the sole use of the employee, business use or private.

It's disingenuous to keep repeating this N1 class nonsense as some form of defence against incorrect accounting. People who believe it risk being thousands of pounds out of pocket as well as incurring the wrath of HMRC.
As I understand it:-
Do you really believe that Ineos put forward the Grenadier SW- 5 seat for N1 In dividual type approval to the DVSA which as I understand it is a big thing, on the basis of European Emissions?. No, the N1 variant met the N1 standard full stop, on its own merits.
It is a proper N1- 5 seat vehicle, but if you cannot prove you only ever use it for Business use; then you are in deep financial do do; as the BIK is horrendous for the 5 seat variant of the Grenadier, it is then classed as a car for BIK purposes, and there maybe `VAT issues as well (not sure)
The 2-seat variant is always a van, in terms of BIK, if BIK applies; then its Van-BIK
Use it 100% as a work Van, which you get absolutely no personal benefits from you are fine, so long as you have the records to prove it.
I agree there is a big difference to the SW 5 seater BIK, as there it will only be seen as a car BIK, and not a van BIK. if BIK applies.
The real difficulty is, do you definitely never get any BIK from the vehicle; for most of us, we could not answer no. 1 post on Facebook or this forum of you enjoying your vehicle in a non-business use and it's game over, you pay if HMRC comes across it.
I have 3 businesses; 2 of which are VAT registered; and I have an N1 SW 5-seater on order, I will run it as a private vehicle, and just claim mileage.
But there will be farmers and others whom I would think could make a successful N1 SW 5-seater claim.
My cousin runs a commercial LR discovery 5-seaters through his business and has done it for years, although it's now discontinued, and he will have to switch to a 2-seater next time he changes vehicle, if he wants another disco.

chriscroft

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
This may be useful to help with tax calculations 🤔
Not relevant if the N1 SW 5 seater has no BIK as you use it, and you can prove it.
A world of financial pain if you do use it for personal benefit. o_O, or can't prove absolutely no personal benefit at all.

Local time
Reaction score
As I understand it:-
Do you really believe that Ineos put forward the Grenadier SW- 5 seat for N1 In dividual type approval to the DVSA which as I understand it is a big thing, on the basis of European Emissions?. No, the N1 variant met the N1 standard full stop, on its own merits. We can agree to disagree
It is a proper N1- 5 seat vehicle, but if you cannot prove you only ever use it for Business use; then you are in deep financial do do; as the BIK is horrendous for the 5 seat variant of the Grenadier, it is then classed as a car for BIK purposes, and there maybe `VAT issues as well (not sure) The N1 Class has baring on HMRC or BIK
The 2-seat variant is always a van, in terms of BIK, if BIK applies; then its Van-BIK No it isn't, not yet anyway. Is a car with no rear seats.
Use it 100% as a work Van, which you get absolutely no personal benefits from you are fine, so long as you have the records to prove it. Debatable-see below
I agree there is a big difference to the SW 5 seater BIK, as there it will only be seen as a car BIK, and not a van BIK. if BIK applies. OK
The real difficulty is, do you definitely never get any BIK from the vehicle; for most of us, we could not answer no. 1 post on Facebook or this forum of you enjoying your vehicle in a non-business use and it's game over, you pay if HMRC comes across it. This is the debate from above, HMRC will most likely pick hoes in any evidence you show them IMHO
I have 3 businesses; 2 of which are VAT registered; and I have an N1 SW 5-seater on order, I will run it as a private vehicle, and just claim mileage. A wise move
But there will be farmers and others whom I would think could make a successful N1 SW 5-seater claim. Extremely unlikely and liable to be expensive to prove otherwise
My cousin runs a commercial LR discovery 5-seaters through his business and has done it for years, although it's now discontinued, and he will have to switch to a 2-seater next time he changes vehicle, if he wants another disco. Whataboutism. modern commercial Discoverys are two seat only and most importantly, are on HMRCs recognised list of commercial vehicles (as 2 seaters). The Ineos Grenadier in any form is not. You can retro fit 5 seat conversions to Discos but there are insurance complications and guess what if HMRC find out?
Your comment of "as I understand it" is the most important part of your post-it lets us know you don't understand it :)

I'll spell it out again, in the eyes of HMRC every Ineos Grenadier is seen as a car.

For a business to own one and not be liable for BIK the onus is on the business to PROVE there is no incidental private use. Its is so rare in accounting terms that HMRC are well versed at any supposed reasons.
Not relevant if the N1 SW 5 seater has no BIK as you use it, and you can prove it.
A world of financial pain if you do use it for personal benefit. o_O, or can't prove absolutely no personal benefit at all.

Not relevant? Of course it's relevant as mentioned throughout the previous pages, the potential cases of no BIK for any Grenadier are vanishingly small.

chriscroft

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Your comment of "as I understand it" is the most important part of your post-it lets us know you don't understand it :)

I'll spell it out again, in the eyes of HMRC every Ineos Grenadier is seen as a car.

For a business to own one and not be liable for BIK the onus is on the business to PROVE there is no incidental private use. Its is so rare in accounting terms that HMRC are well versed at any supposed reasons.

Not relevant? Of course it's relevant as mentioned throughout the previous pages, the potential cases of no BIK for any Grenadier are vanishingly small.
If you only use for the business which owns the vehicle, and you can prove it; there is no BIK, this bit is very easy? There is no personal benefit. Who will pay the BIK if nobody benefits? Who will HMRC charge?

Local time
Reaction score
If you only use for the business which owns the vehicle, and you can prove it; there is no BIK, this bit is very easy? There is no personal benefit. Who will pay the BIK if nobody benefits? Who will HMRC charge?

This bit is not very easy. Proving to HMRC there is no personal benefit is incredibly hard when you are dealing with something they class as a car. Van, car derived van or dual purpose vehicle may be easy, not a car.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Everyone’s situation is different. What might work for one business might not be appropriate for another. We have 7 commercial vehicles in my company, they are fitted with trackers. This means we dont need to do milage logs as the trackers collect all that information. If we were inspected by HMRC we can just hand over all the tracking data. Staff take some vans home, some stay at the yard, we operate a call out service so taking vans home is ok. Also vans are driven by different drivers so that is ok too. We could also do this with a car if we wished, we just haven’t as yet. The grenadier will be the first ‘car’ that we have owned. It will be a pool car and used as such, any personal milage will be charged at the rates I posted earlier.
One thing to note here is that the rates at which you charge personal milage will be best calculated in different ways according to the milage that you do annually. So with a high annual milage you’d be better charging personal miles by the mile. With a low annual milage you’d be better doing it by the day.
There are lots of tax advantages to running your own business compared with someone who is paye, this is just one of those situations where you’ll have to suck it up, the trick is sucking up as little as possible.

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:46 AM
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
This bit is not very easy. Proving to HMRC there is no personal benefit is incredibly hard when you are dealing with something they class as a car. Van, car derived van or dual purpose vehicle may be easy, not a car.
This is already a well travelled path - no personal benefit = pool use. If you don't want to keep logs and don't want to leave it at work overnight, there IS a personal benefit, (and the world of pain that goes with it).

My 5 seat commercial station wagon will be a private vehicle and I will charge the business my fixed profit car scheme mileage, (my company not being VAT registered makes the decision making easy, as getting the VAT back was never a realistic prospect).

chriscroft

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score

As I understand it.
An N1 commercial vehicle is NOT a car. This applies to both the 2-seater and 5-seater Station wagons, it is a Commercial vehicle. It has quite clearly been assessed by DVSA under their Individual Type Approval scheme as an N1 commercial vehicle. It is a commercial vehicle, and as such is subject to all that this entails, and because of its net weight is subject to lower speed restrictions, etc. It is a commercial vehicle full stop. Generally, a company can recover VAT on this vehicle (although there may be a pro-rate deduction for personal use if applicable); and can also claim a first-year 130% capital allowance super-deduction, because it's a van.
My full loaded SW 5 seater is £67k, if I didn't have personal use for it I could reclaim all the VAT (about £11k) and then save 19% corp tax on 130% of the value therefore £87k = £16,5k so the net cost to the company is £67k-£11k-£16.5=£39.5k for a £67k van, saving of £27.5k on year 1 of ownership to the company over a private buyer.
If there is no private use, no benefit and I can prove it through mileage records there is no benefit for me to pay. But the system is brutal as I understand it, if I took it once on holiday that year and was paying marginal tax at 40% my personal BIK tax that year would be around £9k, that's me having to pay HMRC an extra £9k for that year alone, in personal tax.
A 2 seater Grenadier SW you only pay the van BIK which is much lower.
But I agree, who has a 5-seater Grenadier SW and never uses it for personal use?, very few I would guess, but there will be some. My cousin has a similar 5-seat vehicle LR Discovery Commercial, tows a 3.5 trailer with some of his men on board across farmers' fields, to carry out security automation, and also has a nice car for private use. He is a genuine user in this category, I think.

However, an N1 (such as a 5-seater Grenadier SW) can be subject to BIK personal tax as a car; if there is BIK, or you fail to be able to prove business use only, through accurate record keeping. It is still a commercial N1; but is subject to car-type BIK, but is still an N1 the log book doesn't change. If you stop having the personal benefit of the vehicle, then the BIK tax stops. Each year you/your employer declares on your P11D for that year what your benefits have been. Generally, a company can reclaim VAT on this vehicle; and can claim the 130% capital allowance super deduction this year.

A Belstaff is accessed as M1, and is a car; this is a car full stop. It can be fully tax deductible and have no BIK assigned if its a pool car; owned by a car rental company, taxi company (i think) etc etc etc. But in most cases, somebody will pay a BIK because they take it home at night etc etc. Generally, a company cannot claim VAT recovery or 130% super deduction in year 1 on an M1 vehicle.

Right I'll shut up now, 🤣.

Local time
Reaction score
As I understand it.
An N1 commercial vehicle is NOT a car

In the eyes of HMRC, as you’ve been told in numerous posts, it is in the case of the Ineos Grenadier.
Right I'll shut up now, 🤣.

Your first proper piece of advice in the subject!

Jeremy gets it. For anyone else reading this thread if you’re tempted to put one through the books, don’t listen to unsubstantiated tax advice one the internet (including mine) or the absolute toss that an Ineos salesman will tell you.

Please get sound advice from an accounting professional. Or face the consequences.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:46 PM
Reaction score
In the eyes of HMRC, as you’ve been told in numerous posts, it is in the case of the Ineos Grenadier.

Jeremy gets it. For anyone else reading this thread if you’re tempted to put one through the books, don’t listen to unsubstantiated tax advice one the internet (including mine) or the absolute toss that an Ineos salesman will tell you.

Please get sound advice from an accounting professional. Or face the consequences.
Good advice
Stop guessing and ask your accountant about your situation.

chriscroft

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score

That is a pretty poor comment, and I think you have failed to understand most of what I've said, with your wild statements.
I haven't given anybody any advice; and everything I've said I have cavitated and believed to be true.

Local time
Reaction score
That is a pretty poor comment, and I think you have failed to understand most of what I've said, with your wild statements.
I haven't given anybody any advice; and everything I've said I have cavitated and believed to be true.

Two questions...

1/ which comment of mine do you consider poor?
2/ which of my statements do you consider "wild"?

One comment;

1/ you have given advice. You continually advise that the Ineos Grenadier is a commercial vehicle in a thread pertaining to VAT and BIK when it plainly isn't (despite it being classed as a commercial for VED and speed limits). You may believe that to be true in continued evidence to the contrary but you are wrong and anyone who reads your comments and takes them at face value is being mislead by you. That might be fine in your book, it's never going to come back on you, you won't be sued for bad advice. It's just words on the internet.

Yes there will be a minuscule amount of businesses that can rightly claim to own an Ineos Grenadier and expect to pay no BIK and reclaim VAT on the purchase price but these will be so isolated they may as well not count. In fact, they will be so isolated that every company who can will already know that they can, there will be no grey areas nor any need to check with their accountants.

I'll once again clarify the point...

If you currently run, or could possibly run a 4x4 pickup/van and reclaim VAT on the purchase and either have no BIK or van type BIK and expect the Grenadier "Commercial" class to be the same, you're wrong. It won't.

If you can currently put a standard road car through your books and not incur any BIK then the Grenadier should be no different.

If you can't get a road car through your books without incurring BIK then don't think a Gender is any different.

Until HMRC inform any of us any differently there's no getting around the two (in bold) statements above.

If anyone wishes to take HMRC to court to prove otherwise, I'm more than happy to wish you well. Should you succeed at great cost you'll be making a lot of us Ineos fans much better off :)

chriscroft

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Two questions...

1/ which comment of mine do you consider poor?
2/ which of my statements do you consider "wild"?

One comment;

1\

As I understand it:- ( and now I think I can see our differences)
I think the big difference between our perspectives is:-

(1) Whether a VAT-registered company owns the vehicle and if an individual has, or has not a BIK use (This is what I'm talking about)...or...
(2) Whether the vehicle is owned by the individual sole trader or partnership; who uses it for private and/or business use. (This is what you are talking about, is it?)
The above two scenarios are completely different; and why we might be at variance.
Companies don't pay BIK; Individuals who benefit from using a vehicle do pay BIK as personal tax; they work for the company as either an employee or director or who benefit in some way.
Individual sole traders or partnerships pay Income tax based on their profits
Sole traders / Partnerships are taxed completely differently compared to Limited companies and their Employees/Directors/Beneficiaries

There is not 1 Grenadier; There are 3 different Grenadier Variants with regard to HMRC:- And BIK-personal tax & VAT & Capital Allowances & Income tax (sole traders/partnerships) treatments are different.:-
N1 - Commercial (2 seaters)
N1 - Commercial (5 seaters)
M1 - Car
You can't make the statement a "Grenadier" in terms of HMRC, it's just wrong; it's a wild statement. There are 3 different Grenadier Varients and their cost/benefit varies depending on their status and their assessed financial amounts are mostly all different.

I clearly stated in my case as a Director of a company I will buy the 5-seater Commercial N1 myself and not through the company as in my case there would be a BIK which is just too expensive for me in terms of personal tax.

That is it, I can't be tempted to respond anymore...............🤐.... glad it's all sorted out.

Last edited:

Crofthead

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’m following this debate with interest. Currently running a 2021 Defender 90 Hard Top (van) with three seats. I recovered the VAT, get Capital Allowances and pay commercial vehicle BIK, my Limited Co. owns the vehicle and buys all the fuel (recovering VAT) and I pay a further tax amount for this benefit. Happy days.
I ordered what was originally termed a 5 seat Utility Wagon, a ”certified commercial vehicle”, to replace the Defender but it would appear I am wrong to assume it can have the same tax treatment. I also notice Ineos, at some stage, have stopped referring to the five Seat N1 vehicle as the “Utility” and now call it the “Station Wagon” which sounds like they are trying to put some distance the two and five seat models.
I’m feeling a bit of a mug for mis-identifying Ineos’s emissions dodging strategy as way for businesses to run a “commercial vehicle“ in a tax-efficient manner. As it stands I might just as well pay for the five seat N1 vehicle myself but now I‘m questioning whether I should be buying an M1 model instead or changing to a two seat utility model. I basically resent being simply an enabler of the Ineos quota fiddling when ownership of the five seat N1 has no real benefit other than light commercial vehicle road tax rates.
The uncertainty surrounding this issue has certainly tainted what should be an enjoyable experience. No doubt when I speak to my dealer I’ll find I’m now at the back of the queue if I want to make any changes. Perhaps I’ll just keep the Defender.

Local time
Reaction score
There is not 1 Grenadier; There are 3 different Grenadier Variants with regard to HMRC:- And BIK-personal tax & VAT & Capital Allowances & Income tax (sole traders/partnerships) treatments are different.:-
M1 - Car
You can't make the statement a "Grenadier" in terms of HMRC, it's just wrong; it's a wild statement. There are 3 different Grenadier Varients and their cost/benefit varies depending on their status and their assessed financial amounts are mostly all different.

I clearly stated in my case as a Director of a company I will buy the 5-seater Commercial N1 myself and not through the company as in my case there would be a BIK which is just too expensive for me in terms of personal tax.

That is it, I can't be tempted to respond anymore...............🤐.... glad it's all sorted out.

I'll snip some of your post if you don't mind as it's nonsense, your point about the commercial classification is again, as it has been throughout this thread-wrong. Yes there are 3 variants registered with the DVLA for VED. In the eyes of HMRC for the purpose of BIK and VAT reclamation there is only one definition-they are all treated as a car and are subject to the same rules on BIK and VAT as any other car.

It would be great if you didn't respond as you're simply spreading misinformation.

I’m following this debate with interest. Currently running a 2021 Defender 90 Hard Top (van) with three seats. I recovered the VAT, get Capital Allowances and pay commercial vehicle BIK, my Limited Co. owns the vehicle and buys all the fuel (recovering VAT) and I pay a further tax amount for this benefit. Happy days.
I ordered what was originally termed a 5 seat Utility Wagon, a ”certified commercial vehicle”, to replace the Defender but it would appear I am wrong to assume it can have the same tax treatment. I also notice Ineos, at some stage, have stopped referring to the five Seat N1 vehicle as the “Utility” and now call it the “Station Wagon” which sounds like they are trying to put some distance the two and five seat models.
I’m feeling a bit of a mug for mis-identifying Ineos’s emissions dodging strategy as way for businesses to run a “commercial vehicle“ in a tax-efficient manner. As it stands I might just as well pay for the five seat N1 vehicle myself but now I‘m questioning whether I should be buying an M1 model instead or changing to a two seat utility model. I basically resent being simply an enabler of the Ineos quota fiddling when ownership of the five seat N1 has no real benefit other than light commercial vehicle road tax rates.
The uncertainty surrounding this issue has certainly tainted what should be an enjoyable experience. No doubt when I speak to my dealer I’ll find I’m now at the back of the queue if I want to make any changes. Perhaps I’ll just keep the Defender.
Correct.

However I wouldn't feel a mug about it, I personally think Ineos dealers here in the UK have led people down the garden path with their description. As late as last week my dealer was still towing the company line "it's certified as a genuine commercial vehicle N1 class, however I'm a car salesman and I'm not here to give financial advice". When challenged that I can't be the first customer to question the VAT and BIK issues, only then did they admit some people were struggling. Once I'd cancelled they admitted I wasn't the only one.

In reality, if you still want to buy your N1 commercial it really isn't very different. I was told the seat mounting points aren't unique so if you want to move the seat back to the none commercial position it should not be a huge amount of work. You get the cheaper VED "road tax" rates albeit with reduced speed limits. With regards to speed limits I've never had an issue in my VW Amarok though your experience may differ.

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This is exactly the position I find myself in. The 'N1' Grenadier has gone from a superb and tax efficient option to a potentially really expensive headache. I still want the vehicle, though whichever way around I go, I think the experience will be slightly tainted from the outset.

I'm with you that I feel a bit of a mug for going along with it for this long without question. Perhaps more annoyingly, our local and very affable Land Rover dealer could have supplied me with the Defender Hard Top I wanted within this time frame but I didn't order it, leaving all my egg's in the Ineos basket. A fall through on the purchase of the Grenadier will lead me back to the green oval with a not inconsiderable amount of egg on my face.

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As I understand it:- ( and now I think I can see our differences)
I think the big difference between our perspectives is:-

(1) Whether a VAT-registered company owns the vehicle and if an individual has, or has not a BIK use (This is what I'm talking about)...or...
(2) Whether the vehicle is owned by the individual sole trader or partnership; who uses it for private and/or business use. (This is what you are talking about, is it?)
The above two scenarios are completely different; and why we might be at variance.
Companies don't pay BIK; Individuals who benefit from using a vehicle do pay BIK as personal tax; they work for the company as either an employee or director or who benefit in some way.
Individual sole traders or partnerships pay Income tax based on their profits
Sole traders / Partnerships are taxed completely differently compared to Limited companies and their Employees/Directors/Beneficiaries

M1 - Car

The N1 will be taxed at a fixed £3500 for bik purposes so even for a higher rate tax payer, it’s still worthwhile v the passenger variant. I’ve not read the full thread so this may have been dismissed already and my accountant is proceeding on this basis if the firm buys it and not me

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This whole thing is about as clear as mud. I’m pretty sure that in the eyes of HMRC all 5 seat grenadiers are classed as cars. The two seat one qualifies as a van. But then I have read stuff that appears to contradict this from apparently reputable sources. I’m going to talk to my accountant today and see what he says. Paying full rate BIK would make the car unaffordable for me. I really want one though so I will find a way of making it work. So long as it can still be a pool car like our other (commercial) vehicles then it will be fine. I also need to be able to reclaim the VAT which I’m pretty certain that I can. To be fair to INEOS I don’t think that they could have made the vehicle 700kg lighter without seriously compromising build quality, so the fault for this mess lies with HMRC. They need to have some way of preventing people using range rovers as vans, as has been mentioned above, I’m not sure that this is the best system but its the one we have. I’ll post what my accountant says.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:46 PM
Reaction score
This whole thing is about as clear as mud. I’m pretty sure that in the eyes of HMRC all 5 seat grenadiers are classed as cars. The two seat one qualifies as a van. But then I have read stuff that appears to contradict this from apparently reputable sources. I’m going to talk to my accountant today and see what he says. Paying full rate BIK would make the car unaffordable for me. I really want one though so I will find a way of making it work. So long as it can still be a pool car like our other (commercial) vehicles then it will be fine. I also need to be able to reclaim the VAT which I’m pretty certain that I can. To be fair to INEOS I don’t think that they could have made the vehicle 700kg lighter without seriously compromising build quality, so the fault for this mess lies with HMRC. They need to have some way of preventing people using range rovers as vans, as has been mentioned above, I’m not sure that this is the best system but its the one we have. I’ll post what my accountant says.
Why don't you just buy the vehicle you want
Pay the tax that is owing
Claim on tax return whatever you can
Pour a scotch or beer or gin of your choice.
Sit back in front of a good fireplace and enjoy your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom