The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Coil Springs (specs v build)

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:15 PM
Reaction score
Are there many rumours or just several repetitions from the same source?

I can't for the life of me understand what significance150kgs on the roof or 150kgs in the rear loadspace make when it comes to coil springs. Do they have a stiffer sidewall to compensate for the higher centre of gravity?
Totally agreed. Your GVM is your GVM regardless of roof load.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:15 AM
Reaction score

I can't for the life of me understand what significance150kgs on the roof or 150kgs in the rear loadspace make when it comes to coil springs. Do they have a stiffer sidewall to compensate for the higher centre of gravity?
I think the springs would only change if the load is going to be localised.
So a winch hanging out the front multiplies the weight/pendulum effect it would have on the pitching of the vehicle.
So spring rates would change
The roof is designed to carry 150kg dynamic and 420kgs static without a rack.
It is assumed this will be evenly distributed.
Therefore the standard springs should be ok

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I have zero idea either - it makes no sense. They would be opening themselves up for massive lawsuits by allowing an aftermarket rack to be added but not having appropriate springs/flux capacitors etc - to support it.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Very much doubt if a roof rack makes any difference. The thing I would be concerned anout with my spec is that I have winch, roo bar, brush bars and side runners. This adds a lot of weight up front and without a spring upgrade the front will sag. On traditional vehicles where you add this stuff afterwards you would also do a front suspension upgrade, effectively a lift, but one which basically returns you to stock height. I hope ajd assume ajd have been informed that this is what comes with that order spec from INEOS

Reactions: AWo

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Very much doubt if a roof rack makes any difference. The thing I would be concerned anout with my spec is that I have winch, roo bar, brush bars and side runners. This adds a lot of weight up front and without a spring upgrade the front will sag. On traditional vehicles where you add this stuff afterwards you would also do a front suspension upgrade, effectively a lift, but one which basically returns you to stock height. I hope ajd assume ajd have been informed that this is what comes with that order spec from INEOS
I agree - here is what Ineos responded last night:

Screenshot 2023-08-10 at 1.43.46 PM.png

After several replies - I was told they spec different springs if you order the RR and they must be done in the factory- which makes no sense when the Gross weight limits do not change.

Reactions: PBD

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7823024

After several replies - I was told they spec different springs if you order the RR and they must be done in the factory- which makes no sense when the Gross weight limits do not change.
That’s odd, and does that inly apply to the full rack, or the crossbars as well, and what about towing? I would have thought 350 kg towball weight right at the rear was a bigger impact than 150kg soread across the roof so do they uorate for towbar as well and is it the same uprate or an additional one?

Local time
10:15 AM
Reaction score
Very strange. As someone asked; what happens when a roof rack is added by the owner? How are they informed by IA that they must upgrade their coil springs?

AWo

Local time
7:15 PM
Reaction score

View attachment 7823024

Ahh, could make sense...what @AnD3rew wrote, to get it back on stock height. I put my 90ty 3,5 cm higher for exactly that reason when travelling. Could not forsee that there will be another car for travelling at this time.

But if you order a roof rack that will probably mean that you put load on it and a different spring means it will not go down much or it will be higher without load and lowers to stock height when loaded. Just like my 90ty.

AWo

Last edited:

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ahh, could make sense...what @AnD3rew wrote, to get it back on stock height. I put my 90ty 3,5 cm higher for exactly that reason when travelling. Could not forsee that there will be another car for travelling at this time.

But if you order a roof rack that will probably mean that you put load on it and a different spring means it will not go down much or it will be higher without load and lowers to stock height when loaded. Just like my 90ty.

AWo
Ok - but what are the odds a customer does not buy a rack from the Ineos - and later buys one aftermarket. So now if they put the 900# load capacity on the roof will the springs be inferior? Issues like this are why God invented Bourbon....

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The default springs, I am certain, can carry the payload for which the vehicle is rated. Ineos is apparently just adjusting the spring rate for vehicles it knows to have permanent loads of significance like a winch or bullbar. It costs them little extra and apparently it is pushing people into ordering accessories they don't otherwise necessarily want or need.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The default springs, I am certain, can carry the payload for which the vehicle is rated. Ineos is apparently just adjusting the spring rate for vehicles it knows to have permanent loads of significance like a winch or bullbar. It costs them little extra and apparently it is pushing people into ordering accessories they don't otherwise necessarily want or need.
Agree Bruce - Winch and Bull Bar will get the higher rated springs on the front only - the winch alone weighs some 150#'s

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Agree Bruce - Winch and Bull Bar will get the higher rated springs on the front only - the winch alone weighs some 150#'s
Don’t think it’s that much can’t find the actual number at the moment but don’t think its over 100lbs

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Could never find the winch weight in the Ineos pfds but Red Winch had 38kgs for a similar rated one.

Last edited:

AWo

Local time
7:15 PM
Reaction score
Ok - but what are the odds a customer does not buy a rack from the Ineos - and later buys one aftermarket. So now if they put the 900# load capacity on the roof will the springs be inferior? Issues like this are why God invented Bourbon....
Yes, you're right but that is out of control of Ineos. When you ad 1644 PS horsepower to your car Ineos is not responsible to add better brakes. If they do, they are.

God is Irish?

AWo

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The youtube Ineos factory tour video posted by Stu elsewhere shows the production line assembly of the front suspension at around the 5m 22 sec. mark. No yellow painted springs. The coils are gloss black.
US market?

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The youtube Ineos factory tour video posted by Stu elsewhere shows the production line assembly of the front suspension at around the 5m 22 sec. mark. No yellow painted springs. The coils are gloss black.
US market?
The video was posted 6 months ago, and was probably shot forever ago considering it included footage of the old defenders in production. Unlikely that they're US builds as those won't start until after the summer break at the earliest. None of us even have a build month assigned yet.

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Springs normally have an identification number, might be worth a crawl under our cars and see what they are? With winch, not with and roof racks.

Apologies if already suggested.

Back
Top Bottom