The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Clicking Speed Warning

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
8:37 PM
Reaction score
Not stirring but genuinely interested: what are the speed rules when driving on US freeways? I have driven extensively in the US but have never quite grasped what the etiquette is on the freeways, it seems the speed limit is voluntary with the majority of the traffic travelling well above the limit. The presence of police does not cause the traffic to slow down, is there just a general tolerance for moderate speeding or is there a specific amount you can legally go over? The ADAS would very very frustrating in these circumstances.
It varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. US has laws about presumptive speed and absolute speed.

Presumptive safe speed may be higher than the posted speed, eg if the posted speed is 55 but flow of traffic is 60, then it can be argued that the safe speed is actually 60. Some jurisdictions in the US (I believe Florida is one of them) will give out tickets for not driving at a safe speed even if that means going over the posted speed limits.

Some things have absolute speed limits. In California you can't speed in a school zone for instance or at a railroad crossing, those laws are absolute.

And that kind of summarize it. The speed you can drive kind of depends on where you are, what environment you drive in and what the laws for that jurisdiction states. I think it's generally appropriate to follow the flow of traffic and avoid excessive speed. I suggest that if everyone is going faster then going 8-10% over the speed limit then it's generally safe to go along unless you're in an area full of children or other vulnerable road users, limited sight lines, rail road crossing etc (drive the speed limit in those locations)..

Last edited:

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I submitted an inquiry with mycarly.com which specializes in an OBD scanner/customizer app for many vehicles.
If anyone gets me the dbc file for the CAN network I can build an interposer that cleans up that specific message... 👹☠️👹
(I just realized that I hope they use CAN and not flexray like some bmw cars do).

(DBC files are hard to get from manufacturers).

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:37 AM
Reaction score
Its hard for people to understand when you don't have the vehicle yet or have the vehicle with this software. It i beyond a minor annoyance. I paid the money and own it and this is a PSA for those going down the path.

One of the other annoyances related to this issue ... when you are in an area that's not supported by ISA, you get two warning lights. One on the display and one on the warning area in front of the steering wheel. It goes off, eventually but this is triggered every time I pull into my neighborhood and every time I leave my neighborhood.

Again, Hear me know, believe me later.
It's a shame that something so silly will take away from your experience. Ineos should be embarrassed thinking this would not piss off customers..

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:37 PM
Reaction score
It varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. US has laws about presumptive speed and absolute speed.

Presumptive safe speed may be higher than the posted speed, eg if the posted speed is 55 but flow of traffic is 60, then it can be argued that the safe speed is actually 60. Some jurisdictions in the US (I believe Florida is one of them) will give out tickets for not driving at a safe speed even if that means going over the posted speed limits.

Some things have absolute speed limits. In California you can't speed in a school zone for instance or at a railroad crossing, those laws are absolute.

And that kind of summarize it. The speed you can drive kind of depends on where you are, what environment you drive in and what the laws for that jurisdiction states. I think it's generally appropriate to follow the flow of traffic and avoid excessive speed. I suggest that if everyone is going faster then going 8-10% over the speed limit then it's generally safe to go along unless you're in an area full of children or other vulnerable road users, limited sight lines, rail road crossing etc (drive the speed limit in those locations)..
As a follow up to my post - I'm basically +15 on major highways, about 9 over on rural highways, about 5 over on highways with lots of businesses on the sides (Rt. 22 in NJ for those who know) but never through school zones or neighborhoods (including my own).

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This situation is complex in this sense - IA has no choice but to include all this crap (they’re following federal law). However, they seem to have done so in an annoying manner that other 2024 vehicles did better. Global vehicle with global software is another layer of complexity to consider, but this will be addressed, it’s a bad as it sounds.
Right but they did this based on EU laws not US laws and they can say it’s made in England or whatever but they still do things based on market, like have a left hand drive.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Comment from dealer this morning:

Yes, I have heard about this. Unfortunately for right now that is something that has to be deactivated/adjusted every time the car is started. Ineos is aware of this though and have already told us there will be a software update coming soon to remedy this.

Thanks,

Michael Fiore
Sales Concierge
Curry INEOS Grenadier
203-448-1100
mfiore@curryineosgrenadier.com

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:37 AM
Reaction score
Yes, please. Fuses instead of the HAL9000.

“I used voice command to turn ADAS off in my Grenadier but it locked the doors on me and evacuated all the oxygen from the cabin.”
I could always be worse - they could have a joint venture with Weyland Corporation - next thing you know they release an alien under the seat....

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Yes, I have heard about this. Unfortunately for right now that is something that has to be deactivated/adjusted every time the car is started. Ineos is aware of this though and have already told us there will be a software update coming soon to remedy this.

Thanks,

Michael Fiore
Sales Concierge
Curry INEOS Grenadier
203-448-1100
giphy.gif

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Thanks,

Michael Fiore
Sales Concierge
Curry INEOS Grenadier
203-448-1100

Now, let’s do the maintenance network issue…

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I submitted a request to the developers for Carista, the app I used to disable some of the nannies on my Toyota. They do a few brands but not sure they'll have the bandwidth for a new one with relatively low volume. Fingers crossed.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As a follow up to my post - I'm basically +15 on major highways, about 9 over on rural highways, about 5 over on highways with lots of businesses on the sides (Rt. 22 in NJ for those who know) but never through school zones or neighborhoods (including my own).
AZ law has criminal speeding at 20 over, unless you're on the interstate in a posted 75, then it's anything over 85. Guess what I set my cruise at? 85, like the majority of other drivers.

S52

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Promising to read that Ineos is working on a software update. If these nannies don't get addressed (they should throw in the auto stop/start as well- the truck should remember my setting if I keep it off) then I am also on the boat of not going through with the purchase.

Back
Top Bottom