The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Can We Move the Rear Wheel to the Right Please?

Local time
4:21 AM
Reaction score
With so much talk about people wanting larger wheels/tyres; one of the limitations seems to be with the location of the rear wheel on the large cargo door.  Currently using any larger wheel/tyre mounted in current location,  would seem to interfere with the operation of the small access door.  A simple solution would be revise the mounting location so you install the rear wheel where the Red-Dashed-Line is.  That new location would allow for larger wheel/tyre combinations as shown by the Green-Dashed-Line, and not interfere with the operation of the small access door.  This seems like such a simple issue to resolve by Ineos.

I guess the other question is:  How big a wheel/tyre combination can the vehicle handle in its stock trim (without a lift kit)?

dominicperry

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:21 AM
Reaction score
The bigger the wheel/tyre, to more it needs to move to the left to make sure you can open the big door to 90 degrees without snagging. 
There's probably an optimum position and a maximum wheel/tyre size based on the width of the door. No idea if they've got it right.

It also constantly bugs me that the rear light clusters are unprotected and there doesn't look like anywhere to attach cages for them. 

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:21 PM
Reaction score
Really big tyres - spare up in the roof rack I think or the small door can't be opened

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:21 AM
Reaction score
Is this a french fries basket? :cool:

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:21 AM
Reaction score
Until we have our own grenadier in our own workshop, all this is speculation. A simple offset spacer for the spare mount could resolve all these issues... or not.

All this aftermarket R&D is to look forward to

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I totally agree with Spjnr.

In a a few weeks this forum will be full of great ideas and solutions to all manner of upgrades

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
As others have said moving it to the right then reduces the open angle as the tire will butt up against the body. At a certain point it’s time to get something like a kaymar rear bar and get that wheel off the door entirely.

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:21 AM
Reaction score
A rear bumper that would remove the spare from the door is probably the go to solution that’d happen. It moves the weight down lower but two issues with a rear bumper tire carrier. 1. Now you have two additional latches to undo before being able to open the rear. 2. Rear bumpers themselves are heavy pigs. Another 200lbs to rob from the payload.

I was thinking about using spacers on the rear door mount to push the tire out a bit more. That way the smaller door swing angle might just have the clearance to open up

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
5:21 AM
Reaction score
Until we have our own grenadier in our own workshop, all this is speculation. A simple offset spacer for the spare mount could resolve all these issues... or not.

All this aftermarket R&D is to look forward to
On reading the original post this was my first thought. Seems simple enough as long as someone isn’t planning on turning it into a monster truck.

However I do look forward to the avalanche of extras, upgrades, and accessories that I hope the off road companies release In quick succession

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:21 AM
Reaction score
Moving the spare to the passenger side of the door would also take some forces off of the hinges. Little surprised it isn't shifted just a bit.

Back
Top Bottom