The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Black (infotainment) screen

Pat

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:18 PM
Reaction score
Update 14.02.2024

Today it’s two months. Week 10 starts tomorrow and no progress, no replacement ECU has been provided to the dealer, nothing. Not to mention the missing communication from IA. We are devastated and disappointed. 😞
Send an email or linkedin message to Lynn Calder - somebody from the forum UK) did it already. Or contact Marco Salvatori - Technical Support Engineer based in Duesseldorf.

Reactions: IGL

IGL

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You are in GERMANY! Near the plant and cannot get the part. Thats crazy.
In fact hard to believe, it's only a 160 km / 100 mi tour from Hambach/France to my dealer, and 80% of it is on the Autobahn.
But the ECU is not in stock (IA told dealer), anywhere. That's even harder to understand.

Last edited:

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
To send a part out you need to have the part....on stock, not on production line. In additon there is no spare parts ordering system available for the dealers, except the phone...

AWo

• Sad

2wheelfish

Production/Transit
Forum Supporter
Local time
1:18 PM
Reaction score
So sorry to hear this. I know we get emotionally invested due to the long wait, but I’d have a hard time not demanding a full refund. I know that doesn’t really solve the fundamental problem, but it holds Ineos accountable for deplorable customer service.

IGL

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Wherever a new ECU comes from, I can't believe that there isn't a new ECU for the Gren on the whole planet. After all, new Gren are produced every day. So there is at least one manufacturer of this ECU, and they should be able to produce one more ECU.

Who knows why this ECU is defective. Perhaps there is a serious underlying problem that is not yet known or is not being discussed? At least in this forum, it seems to be the only case so far with a black infotainment screen. 🤞

Asking for a full refund is the last option and we have set a final date for a repair. Until then, we live with hope.

IGL

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Update 19.02.2024

Hello everyone,

this morning we received a call from the dealer's managing director. Ineos delivered the new ECU on Friday! 😲

It will be installed and programmed today, followed by extensive testing.

With a bit of luck, we'll be able to pick up our Gren this week.

But after more than nine weeks of uncertainty, we won't be really happy until we're sitting in our Gren and driving off.

Please keep your fingers crossed that it finally works out. Thanx :)

Pat

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Update 19.02.2024

Hello everyone,

this morning we received a call from the dealer's managing director. Ineos delivered the new ECU on Friday! 😲

But after more than nine weeks of uncertainty, we won't be really happy until we're sitting in our Gren and driving off.

In my case they did not really test anything after they did swap the ECU. They will run the diagnosis tool which most likely will deactivate the passenger airbag (in my case). Please remember or remember them if the passenger airbag. It can only be done with ignition ON and gear box in P. Well, and finally have some fun. To be honest I would ask for an adequate compensation like free service for four years, an offroad training ...

A1B2C3D4

Production/Transit
Local time
4:18 PM
Reaction score
Update 19.02.2024

Hello everyone,

Did the new ECU fix the problem?

A1B2C3D4

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
In my case they did not really test anything after they did swap the ECU. They will run the diagnosis tool which most likely will deactivate the passenger airbag (in my case). Please remember or remember them if the passenger airbag. It can only be done with ignition ON and gear box in P. Well, and finally have some fun. To be honest I would ask for an adequate compensation like free service for four years, an offroad training ...
Was the ECU your issue as well? Did it fix the issue?

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Update 19.02.2024

Hello everyone,

You have the patience of a Saint or your process to get your money back is incredibly complicated and time consuming, because there is no way I could wait that long for a newly delivered, un drivable vehicle to be fixed from Day 1.

I hope it all works out for you🤞🏻🤞🏻

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:18 AM
Reaction score
Welcome in the new world of modern extrem rough cars, where everything is deeply designed to be on purpose, withstanding the harshest and most extrem conditions, only no-nonsens parts are used....

....until the display fails and you car is stuck.

I can't imagine that all these modern cars will ever get 30 years old to become a veteran and still running strong...sometimes I'm really happy to have my analog dials and bulbs and when the speedo fails I have the tacho and vice versa...

AWo
Yes, I agree with you. I’ve arrived at the same conclusion and what was initially intended to be a life long keeper with my Grenadier I’ll now turn it over before the warranty runs out.

I’ve joked that you need two vehicles, one as a backup (for use and parts).

IGL

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Did the new ECU fix the problem?
No further information from the dealer since Monday. I assume they haven't installed it yet, or the ECU is not the (only) rootcause or faulty as well, who know's. I'm fed up with asking what's going on. It's the dealer's job to inform me, isn't it?

Last edited:

Pat

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Was the ECU your issue as well? Did it fix the issue?
It did happen during the SW upgrade to the latest SW version. The upgrade did stop and the reason was that the ECU has been 'fried'. After the new ECU mounted no issues at all - so no bing bang bong with faulty error messages. I am now at 18k km since August last year without any problems apart from the bing bang bongs at the beginning.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
is your black screen for the entire screen or just the section where the CarPlay should be showing? I have a loaner and the screen turned black today. Not the whole screen, just the CarPlay section.

IGL

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
is your black screen for the entire screen or just the section where the CarPlay should be showing? I have a loaner and the screen turned black today. Not the whole screen, just the CarPlay section.
Hi Chadd, dealer told us that the entire screen is black. We've never seen the vehicle, it was already in the workshop on the handover day.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Chadd, dealer told us that the entire screen is black. We've never seen the vehicle, it was already in the workshop on the handover day.
Mine miraculously started working again today. My full screen was never black. Such a frustrating gremlin for you I'm sure. Just shows you how vulnerable the vehicle is if that screen ever fails. Wish we had the old school analog gauges.

IGL

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Update 27.02.2024

Hi everyone,

no handover last week, a lot of necessary adjustments, (re-)programming and tests. Dealer rang today and said the Gren now has the new ECU installed, latest SW updates and that the tests and test drives were successful. No bings and bongs, difflocks, winch, TPMS & Cie and the infotainment screen are working fine.

Well, same statement as on 14/12/2023, so fingers crossed that the new ECU or anything else won't break and the handover can take place. 🤞

The (second) attempt for the handover is now on Friday 01/03/2024. We are cautiously optimistic. :)

Back
Top Bottom