The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Battery completely dead - no prior symptoms

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:34 PM
Reaction score
This morning I started charging the battery because it said less than 58%, my two battery monitors said nearly the same for both batteries.
After 8,5h charging, CTEK said full, monitor said full,
INEOS said….74%…5A, 8,5h…. should be more about 80-85% now.
I let the charger (MX5.0) now until tomorrow morning connected, and will see.
It’s a miracle.
lost 42% in 7 days, without using the car

PS: I bought now a jump starter and will not care anymore about the SOC until SoftwareUpdate is installed…..and in case of ….I have the jump starter.
View attachment 7829911View attachment 7829910View attachment 7829909
Update: after 22h charging 78% on Ineos screen. Stop now

WhiteBear

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
With new software and a Victron 15A charger I get 98% on the Ineos screen.
Hope for you it gets better with the software update.

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:34 AM
Reaction score
What country makes the batteries for Ineos. I would like to put some Aussie Made batteries in the Gren... I have run century batteries only for over 20 years in my vehicles and not one failure. I have plenty of mates who bought cheap imports and lucky to get 2 years from their battery.
Completely agree - I have a Century battery in my old Defender which is 10 years old (the battery that is) and still going strong - the one before that I got 8 years out of it.

Reactions: AWo

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I could not remember since my first car in 1986, and a history of really a lot cars, that I need a new battery and that I have to charge a battery at a new car.
I have the CTEK only, because my former Golf Alltrack, with aux. heating, Webasto, was one time on low battery, because my children uses 30min the heater, and drove 10 min…., after a few times the battery was discharged.

Reactions: AWo

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Tonight I had to leave my car at Kortrijk. Battery still at 10,2V. Didn’t drive a lot with the Grenadier the last 6 days, only a short trip to the supermarket. Went out to play pool with the boys this evening. When I parked the car, the vents were again at full speed, making a hell of a noise. But ok, I closed the car and went of to the Poolclub. For the guy in the street it would sound like parking your car but you forgot to shut down your engine. When I went back, Turning the key, lights came up. 1 clic and then all went black. Waited for 5 minutes, but the same. Managed after a wile to see the low voltage in the Off-road screen. So looks like that the ventilators just used all the power left in the battery. This is a bit ridiculous for a new car like this. I don’t understand how this is even possible, that INEOS allows the car to drain himself to dead. IMG_3532.jpeg

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:34 AM
Reaction score
Tonight I had to leave my car at Kortrijk. Battery still at 10,2V. Didn’t drive a lot with the Grenadier the last 6 days, only a short trip to the supermarket. Went out to play pool with the boys this evening. When I parked the car, the vents were again at full speed, making a hell of a noise. But ok, I closed the car and went of to the Poolclub. For the guy in the street it would sound like parking your car but you forgot to shut down your engine. When I went back, Turning the key, lights came up. 1 clic and then all went black. Waited for 5 minutes, but the same. Managed after a wile to see the low voltage in the Off-road screen. So looks like that the ventilators just used all the power left in the battery. This is a bit ridiculous for a new car like this. I don’t understand how this is even possible, that INEOS allows the car to drain himself to dead. View attachment 7830770
My vehicle has now been parked for over 2 weeks. I turned the key and it started immediately. However, I did not check the battery status.

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Think it was posted elsewhere here that it is very likely that early vehicles which suffered batch&hold plus months at the dealerships will have their batteries pre-damaged due to deep discharge during the long periods of not being charged.
Additionally, as reported at least 2 times here (including me), a faulty chassis ground connection to the transfer case prevented proper charging and, at the same time, caused very high discharge currents, mainly due to the power steering.
I don't believe that the Moll batteries are bad quality. Every battery will die prematurely if not treated decently.

Local time
Reaction score
Went to use my car yesterday afternoon and the remote key fob would not unlock it (car had been standing in the garage for three days). Thought it was a bit odd.

Changed the battery in the key fob - no difference, still would not unlock the car.

Got the spare key (never used from new) - no difference.

Had to leave the car and use another one to drive up to Liverpool for the football.

This morning had some time to investigate and the main battery is dead - showing 3volts on multimeter. (Auxiliary battery was at 12.16volts). Zero systems in the car working.

I called the dealer and apparently this is not the first report of such symptoms and they’ve had three others. It’s a problem with the battery and cells failing, so will need a new one.

If I learn anything interesting as it gets fixed, I’ll update further.

I have had the battery on charge all day and it is taking a charge, hopefully enough to start it in the morning so that I can get it to the dealer.

Not sure how you watch out for this one, because mine was perfectly well behaved ….. until it wasn’t.
Sorry to hear of the inconvenience. Just wondering, did you configure with a second battery? I know the back-up is supposed to be for auxiliary, but in a situation like this when the main battery goes, would the second help with getting your key fob recognized so you can start?

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:34 PM
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of the inconvenience. Just wondering, did you configure with a second battery? I know the back-up is supposed to be for auxiliary, but in a situation like this when the main battery goes, would the second help with getting your key fob recognized so you can start?
I do have the auxilliary battery (and it tested at 12.16v at the time). Main battery had an issue with one cell and would not hold a charge.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Wonder if this problem has mainly affected vehicles with twin battery option?

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My vehicle has now been parked for over 2 weeks. I turned the key and it started immediately. However, I did not check the battery status.
Just to be sure, keep an eye on it. If it’s ok, and you aren’t losing a lot of battery power in a week, then you will be fine. I think, it’s a battery fault. that’s probably also why my start stop system never works.

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Think it was posted elsewhere here that it is very likely that early vehicles which suffered batch&hold plus months at the dealerships will have their batteries pre-damaged due to deep discharge during the long periods of not being charged.
Additionally, as reported at least 2 times here (including me), a faulty chassis ground connection to the transfer case prevented proper charging and, at the same time, caused very high discharge currents, mainly due to the power steering.
I don't believe that the Moll batteries are bad quality. Every battery will die prematurely if not treated decently.
Most likely, I think that’s indeed the case. Its an early car, and has spend a lot of time on a parking lot before it came to us. Have an appointment with the dealer in a week. In the meantime battery is back charged at 100%. Used the day after a jump starter to get the car back alive. But did had a lot of fault messages afterwards on the screen, due to the low power of the battery.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just to be sure, keep an eye on it. If it’s ok, and you aren’t losing a lot of battery power in a week, then you will be fine. I think, it’s a battery fault. that’s probably also why my start stop system never works.
I will pay attention to that. Start/Stop works, but I usually switch it off when I start driving.

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Most likely, I think that’s indeed the case. Its an early car, and has spend a lot of time on a parking lot before it came to us. ....
Not even taking into account the actual production date of the batteries.
Looking at the long delays before Gren production even started, it is well possible that the batteries for the first vehicles stayed on shelf for a year or so until mounted in the vehicles....

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not even taking into account the actual production date of the batteries.
Looking at the long delays before Gren production even started, it is well possible that the batteries for the first vehicles stayed on shelf for a year or so until mounted in the vehicles....
Wel, the battery went from 100% yesterday evening to 94% in the morning. When i needed the car this noon, it was already at 91%.
So a dropdown of almost 10 % in less than 18 h.

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Wel, the battery went from 100% yesterday evening to 94% in the morning. When i needed the car this noon, it was already at 91%.
So a dropdown of almost 10 % in less than 18 h.
One thing to may be check ….

How much charge is your battery taking from the alternator? My faulty battery, after having been charged for almost 24 hours and showing a charge status of 80+%, was still taking 16amps and more all the way to the garage (45 miles).

Replacement battery was only taking 3/4amps, even though the charge state was about the same.

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
One thing to may be check ….

How much charge is your battery taking from the alternator? My faulty battery, after having been charged for almost 24 hours and showing a charge status of 80+%, was still taking 16amps and more all the way to the garage (45 miles).

Replacement battery was only taking 3/4amps, even though the charge state was about the same.
It’s the same. Even with everything off, only contact on. Motor not running. 15 to 16 amps decharging. But off cours you have the fuel pump running, All electronics under power, ….. I don’t know if this is normal or not.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It’s the same. Even with everything off, only contact on. Motor not running. 15 to 16 amps decharging. But off cours you have the fuel pump running, All electronics under power, ….. I don’t know if this is normal or not.
I think you got this wrong. Have a look what charge goes into the battery while driving.

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think you got this wrong. Have a look what charge goes into the battery while driving.
Well, Cn
Hi Bemax, Well. In between 90 and 100% full loaded. There is only 1 amp going to the battery during driving. But that can be normal as the battery is protected for overcharging. But between 80 and 90% it is stil 1 amp, occasional 2 amp loading to the battery.
I keep an eye on it to see what happens once it gets in the seventeens % range. Then the amps should go up.

Back
Top Bottom