The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

B58 service tools- Recommendations and suggestions

jrchrds

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:09 AM
Reaction score
Alright, I do all my own service on my vehicles, so I've been looking into the B58 as implemented on other vehicles. Since I've been a Toyota man since my first 1967 i-6 (aside from my BMW motorbike), BMW is quite the departure, not sure if that will be better or worse. On initial look, with the plastic cover I thought it might be worse, but after watching some youtube, the B58 might be easier to service in some regards than my current Toyota 5VZFE. That being said, here are some links to tools which I've determined will be on the list for building up an eventually comprehensive service kit. Please add any recommendations for other or better tools!

Here is a discussion of standard B58 service intervals. I'm sure the Grenadier will be similar.

With the oil change recommended on most BMW models with the B58 at 10k miles, this will be the most common service. The oil filter is...inconvenient is probably the best way to put it. Here is a tool to make it better. I hope IA left enough room under the hood to use it. Watch the very good video on the page for a comprehensive filter change example.

I can't get past the name of the connectors, but the B58 has similar connectors all over it, and the lock tabs are easily broken if mishandled. This economical tool can help prevent this damage.

Spark plugs are further down the time frame at 60k miles, but that's about once a year for me. So here's a specialized spark plug socket for the B58:

That's it for the short term stuff. But Since I just had to replace a couple of injectors and rail gaskets on my Tacoma, here are some injector tools for the B58- and you can rent them and get 90% of your deposit back (if that's your thing.)

Finally, I'm a HUGE fan of bluetooth/phone capable diagnostic tools- I use one to diagnose things on my Tacoma regularly, and you have to have one to service the brakes on the newer BMW motorcycles. Here's one that looks like a good start, at least it will have the engine modules, and eventually someone will expand to the rest of the ineos modules, I'm sure.

Jason

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:09 AM
Reaction score
Do you know if the oil filter tool is still required as the discharge valve doesn't really work; or is the discharge valve a recent BMW modification to solve the same issue?

Yes, B57 rather than B58 but aren't they modular so same parts applicable:

Screenshot_20230321_110241.jpg

jrchrds

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:09 AM
Reaction score
Do you know if the oil filter tool is still required as the discharge valve doesn't really work; or is the discharge valve a recent BMW modification to solve the same issue?

Yes, B57 rather than B58 but aren't they modular so same parts applicable:

View attachment 7806700
I don't know. The youtube videos are all B58s within the last couple of years, so hard to say. maybe someone who has one will know. The drawing of the B57 looks different than what is shown on the B58- if you watch the video included with the filter drain, it shows a B58 filter assembly removed from the vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom