The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

B58 Reliability

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:16 AM
Reaction score
I am nervous about turbos; recognizing they do improve power and emissions-per-HP, they also introduce additional mechanical complexity to the unit. But, it's one of the compromises we have to make. The fact is everything breaks eventually, my main concern is how devastating the break is to continuing a journey.

So a scenario, based on what I understand is a common issue with Turbocharged Ford motors for a spell - they were regularly failing at 100k kms because of failed turbos:

I'm cruising up through Alaska at a steady 100 KPH, turbo screaming the whole way. I put in a 12 hour day, pull into camp and kill the motor, and since my vehicle has been "rode hard and put away wet", that's the day the turbo really needed help cooling down gently but because I didn't do that, I wake up the next morning to an awful sound of a siezed turbo and a motor that won't mote.

What's my solution, assuming I've got a robust set of handtools?
I agree with you there. I don't like turbos either. That's because I blew up the turbo in the Defender TD5. And that's despite the fact that I always drive my engines gently. Warm up, don't use full throttle, always let the engine run down after a long drive and high revs.

And where did it happen to me? Not in a place where there are appropriate garages, no, in the middle of the Faroe Islands.

My Disco 2 also has the TD5 engine. And as I have already written here, the odometer now shows 335 Tkm.
Engines can lead such different lives.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve only owned one turbo vehicle - 2nd gen F-150 Raptor. That has a twin-turbo setup on a 3.5L V6. Had it for a few years but only put 16,000 miles on it. Never had any issues and that thing hauled ass.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:16 PM
Reaction score
And where did it happen to me? Not in a place where there are appropriate garages, no, in the middle of the Faroe Islands.
Well that's one way to find something to do there. Were you waiting for the ferry to return?

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well that's one way to find something to do there. Were you waiting for the ferry to return?
No, unfortunately that was not possible. Because the ferry doesn't go back from there. I had to wait until it came again and took me to Iceland. There I stood in the harbour until the next return trip to Denmark.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:16 AM
Reaction score
I agree with you there. I don't like turbos either. That's because I blew up the turbo in the Defender TD5. And that's despite the fact that I always drive my engines gently. Warm up, don't use full throttle, always let the engine run down after a long drive and high revs.

My Disco 2 also has the TD5 engine. And as I have already written here, the odometer now shows 335 Tkm.
Engines can lead such different lives.
Is there a "bush fix" for that situation, or how did you get the rig mobile again? Could it even be limped home?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:16 AM
Reaction score
I am nervous about turbos; recognizing they do improve power and emissions-per-HP, they also introduce additional mechanical complexity to the unit. But, it's one of the compromises we have to make. The fact is everything breaks eventually, my main concern is how devastating the break is to continuing a journey.

So a scenario, based on what I understand is a common issue with Turbocharged Ford motors for a spell - they were regularly failing at 100k kms because of failed turbos:

I'm cruising up through Alaska at a steady 100 KPH, turbo screaming the whole way. I put in a 12 hour day, pull into camp and kill the motor, and since my vehicle has been "rode hard and put away wet", that's the day the turbo really needed help cooling down gently but because I didn't do that, I wake up the next morning to an awful sound of a siezed turbo and a motor that won't mote.

What's my solution, assuming I've got a robust set of handtools?
Both my car and my wife's have turbo's and the electric fan keeps running after the vehicle is turned off until the temperature drops enough.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is there a "bush fix" for that situation, or how did you get the rig mobile again? Could it even be limped home?
There is a workshop on the Faroe Islands, but as the turbocharger and the engine were broken, they could only tow me onto the ferry. There is no workshop in the harbour town in Iceland. The harbour workers towed me with their forklift. It was only in Denmark that I was picked up by the ADAC.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:16 PM
Reaction score
Both my car and my wife's have turbo's and the electric fan keeps running after the vehicle is turned off until the temperature drops enough.
The problem in reading something in a language which is not your own is that there are misreading from time to time for example I read:
„Both my car and my wife have turbos…“
I really tried to get the information straight for me but I had to read it three more times to find my little error…

Back
Top Bottom