The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Auxiliary LEDs - Lightbars, Lights, Pods

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:19 PM
Reaction score
I have never owned auxiliary LEDs. Instead, my experience has been with the likes of bumper-mounted Hella 4000's, IPF 900's, or roof-rack-mounted Hella 500's. I've ordered the full Rhino rack but no the factory lightbar. My plan is to install my own roof lighting, and probably in the old school format - 2x forward cornering beams + 2x forward flood beams + LH/RH/Rear work lights.

Are LED lightbars any good? Were they just pushed to the market? Do they have legitimate advantages?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You definitely get what you pay for (to an extent), and everyone has their brand-camp that they are loyal to. I would generally say to run away from Amazon brands.

Personally, I'm a Diode Dynamics fan, and have been for many years. I'm a fan of their Stage Series light bars (had a 42" in the bumper of my Tundra, which was removed when I added an ARB bumper and went to a 50" on the front of our AT Atlas topper; my girlfriend's Tacoma has had their 30" bumper mount for a few years and just got my old 42" on her roof rack). What I will say though, lightbars just can't seem to get quite the distance that pods can. The 50" with all "driving/spot" lenses couldn't outshine (for distance or spread) my ARB Intensity Solis 36 spots that I had on the bumper. My Sprinter has a quartet of Diode Dynamics SS5 pods (outers in "driving", inners in "spot"), and bluntly is on the cusp of too much light (yes I understand people run 6-7 of these on the roof and another 6 on the bumper, but that's simply for the 'Gram).

Brands to lean towards for LEDs: Diode Dynamics, Baja Designs, Rigid, LightForce (for US/Canada people, I understand the Ozzies have their favorites that aren't readily available in the US)

Watch YouTube videos, talk to people/see them in person and read all the threads you can before blindly dumping big money on a lightbar; and honestly, see if it's actually something you need/want before ordering

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:19 AM
Reaction score
In Australia popular brands of LED lights include (in no order);
  1. Lightforce;
  2. ARB;
  3. Ultra Vision;
  4. Great White; and
  5. STEDI.
I have used Lightforce and Great White in the remote Outback for over a decade without any issues. They did not manage to survive a high speed head on collision though (but the Great White was in good shape) !

I know Lightforce and ARB are available in the US market, not sure about the other three.

LED bars are very good at flood light, less so for spot light at great distance. I used a combo consisting of an LED bar and two spot lights to great effect. Quality LED bars are amazing if you match them to your needs.

Spill light
Because of the amount of light output, I would not install an LED bar on my roof rack facing forwards, but happy to have it on the front front bumper or Roo Bar. I do not want flood fill light falling on my white bonnet at night.

Colour temp
You should also check the colour temperature of any LED you choose, it impacts eye fatigue.

Quality matters
Quality brands take care in choosing high end LEDs, properly sealing the unit, supply a good wiring kit and getting colour temp consistent.

On the INEOS I will use a 20 inch Lightforce LED Viper bar, installed on the bumper under my Roo Bar. Plus some camping lights on the roof rack.

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have never owned auxiliary LEDs. Instead, my experience has been with the likes of bumper-mounted Hella 4000's, IPF 900's, or roof-rack-mounted Hella 500's. I've ordered the full Rhino rack but no the factory lightbar. My plan is to install my own roof lighting, and probably in the old school format - 2x forward cornering beams + 2x forward flood beams + LH/RH/Rear work lights.

Are LED lightbars any good? Were they just pushed to the market? Do they have legitimate advantages?
LED are good and the bar format particularly on the front is probably more airflow friendly than a couple of great big round spotties in front of your radiator. They are also much lower power drain, something you probably don’t need to consider if just using one pair but if you are using multiple it adds up. If you are going for extreme distance then probably a set of focused HID style spotlights will outperform most LEDs but if you want just flood lighting with moderate to good distance good quality LEDs do a great job and likely will last longer.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
LED are good and the bar format particularly on the front is probably more airflow friendly than a couple of great big round spotties in front of your radiator. They are also much lower power drain, something you probably don’t need to consider if just using one pair but if you are using multiple it adds up. If you are going for extreme distance then probably a set of focused HID style spotlights will outperform most LEDs but if you want just flood lighting with moderate to good distance good quality LEDs do a great job and likely will last longer.
I want short to mid range lighting with a wide and bright light pattern.
Mos of my night time driving will be on country two lane roads (one lane in each direction) at between 60 & 100 kmh.
This includes on sealed and dirt/gravel roads.
My plan is to be able to switch on and off various combinations of lights depending on need.
There is really no need for me to be able top see 2 kms down the road, unless I am on the motorway.
I would rather see up to 1 km and 50 metres off to each side.
This guy may as well not have any lights on
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OJCkmFpqhk

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tua9RC7_oCI

1688856896727.png
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeojlkXJHtg
1688857214145.png1688857262524.png

1688856572663.png1688856619086.png1688856687509.png1688856723040.png
View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/bgq8lN14YXQ

Local time
5:19 PM
Reaction score
I do agree light bars have an aerodynamic advantage, but I've never reviewed one that had equal beam discipline to a round lamp. I also am not a fan of any roof-mounted lamps, both for aerodynamic reasons and hood glare, unless you're a racer and need pencil beams up there. I think a single high-quality pair of LED driving lamps is more than sufficient for most overland-oriented vehicles. They certainly add a safety factor in wildlife or livestock-dense areas. Our Troopy has two ARB Intensity lamps, which were all we needed in Oz.
AUS11 copy.jpg

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I do agree light bars have an aerodynamic advantage, but I've never reviewed one that had equal beam discipline to a round lamp. I also am not a fan of any roof-mounted lamps, both for aerodynamic reasons and hood glare, unless you're a racer and need pencil beams up there. I think a single high-quality pair of LED driving lamps is more than sufficient for most overland-oriented vehicles. They certainly add a safety factor in wildlife or livestock-dense areas. Our Troopy has two ARB Intensity lamps, which were all we needed in Oz.
View attachment 7819451
Whilst I’ve never had a lightbar, I’m probably going to go that way this time.

For me, I don’t want to see the road 1000-2000 metres in front, but I do want to see everything in front and 50 or more metres either side of the road for 500 metres in front of me.

From driving in other people’s vehicles fitted with good lightbars, I think rhey are a better option for this sort of result.

In terms of brands, because I want to fit a bar within my bullbar rarher than on the roof, I think despite what I would normally buy, I’ll probably just be looking at the best quality that I’m able to make fit in the limited space available.

Forgot to mention - the IG makes the choice of a lightbar easier given the auxiliary lights are sitting where a set of traditional spot lights would normally go.

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

For me, I don’t want to see the road 1000-2000 metres in front, but I do want to see everything in front and 50 or more metres either side of the road for 500 metres in front of me.

From driving in other people’s vehicles fitted with good lightbars, I think rhey are a better option for this sort of result.

In terms of brands, because I want to fit a bar within my bullbar rarher than on the roof, I think despite what I would normally buy, I’ll probably just be looking at the best quality that I’m able to make fit in the limited space available.

Forgot to mention - the IG makes the choice of a lightbar easier given the auxiliary lights are sitting where a set of traditional spot lights would normally go.
You just copied my post with less pictures?/

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I feel you owe me two drinks
One beer one scotch
I’m pretty sure, if I could be bothered to go back and find it, I’ve made the statement in my second paragraph (for which you accuse me of plagiarism) previously here, so in fact you may well have been quoting me. 😉

But I’m happy to share a beer and discuss it further.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses.

In my immediate area we have so many deer that the seasonal change to/from Daylight Savings Time leaves the roadways looking like a war zone. So aside from off-road use, I appreciate deep & wide road coverage. I'll have to see how the factory lights perform before I make any additional selections. Also, with no bull-bar available for the NA market, that hole is yet to be filled ( I have always installed non-SRS ARB's on my Rovers).

I have also never driven in a lightbar-equipped vehicle, but I have paid close attention to their growing popularity in my area - almost every pickup and jeep seem to have them. When I do see them in actual use or get to follow one, they appear intensely bright but do not seem to provide useful light (more a huge sphere of brightness). So my guess is these could just be the budget brands?

While forward roof lighting is not an off-road necessity, I do find the high source position allows me to see hidden traps significantly better. Our tight East Coast trails are full of rocks, gullies, washouts, holes and logs - all conveniently hidden behind tight turns and undulations. Like others who posted above, I do want wider coverage and less range. High speed and straight miles is not something I encounter often.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses.

In my immediate area we have so many deer that the seasonal change to/from Daylight Savings Time leaves the roadways looking like a war zone. So aside from off-road use, I appreciate deep & wide road coverage. I'll have to see how the factory lights perform before I make any additional selections. Also, with no bull-bar available for the NA market, that hole is yet to be filled ( I have always installed non-SRS ARB's on my Rovers).

I have also never driven in a lightbar-equipped vehicle, but I have paid close attention to their growing popularity in my area - almost every pickup and jeep seem to have them. When I do see them in actual use or get to follow one, they appear intensely bright but do not seem to provide useful light (more a huge sphere of brightness). So my guess is these could just be the budget brands?

While forward roof lighting is not an off-road necessity, I do find the high source position allows me to see hidden traps significantly better. Our tight East Coast trails are full of rocks, gullies, washouts, holes and logs - all conveniently hidden behind tight turns and undulations. Like others who posted above, I do want wider coverage and less range. High speed and straight miles is not something I encounter often.
Just like traditional lights, in quality lightbars you can get spot beam, or flood beam or a combination with spot in the middle and flood on the edges. But the best lightbar spots will not match the best HID for pure distance

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

In terms of brands, because I want to fit a bar within my bullbar rather than on the roof, I think despite what I would normally buy, I’ll probably just be looking at the best quality that I’m able to make fit in the limited space available.
The Lightforce Viper 20 inch should fit, that is my probable choice when the car arrives - single row version. Great White is another I am considering, I had that for over 11 years on the Patrol. Either brand will survive the Outback as I had both on the Patrol and neither failed in any way, after really rough trips over that 11 years (LF spots, GW LED). The Great White Lightbar was still intact after a 150-180kph head-on collision. The bracket broke but the light was still intact.

Last edited:
Local time
5:19 PM
Reaction score
Er . . . a "150-180kph head-on collision?" Care to elaborate? I can't imagine much on either vehicle, including the occupants, being intact after that.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Er . . . a "150-180kph head-on collision?" Care to elaborate? I can't imagine much on either vehicle, including the occupants, being intact after that.
Pictures here. The lens was not even cracked. The spotlights did not fair so well (not surprising).

Back
Top Bottom