The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Anyone followed this JLR case - nice outcome

tartan shepherd

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
11:55 AM
Reaction score
WORLDWIDE PRESS RELEASE Friday 24th March 2023
Swedish C-type replica builder won in court against Jaguar Land Rover
Karl Magnusson (70), a lifelong Jaguar enthusiast who built a replica of the Jaguar C-type, has won an extensive copyright dispute against Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) in the Svea Court of Appeal. The judgment states that JLR has given consent to Magnusson's replica manufacturing and that they will not have to scrap the car nor pay one million in damages.
JLR has never before raised any objections to replica manufacturing of their historic models, and instead have accepted and supported the independent, world-wide replica industry, growing since the 1970s. Mr Magnusson and his wife, being avid classic car enthusiasts their entire life, were well aware of this relationship during the nine years they spent researching and building their C-type replica.
Magnusson was even invited to JLR where he reported in detail his planned replica C-type project and was encouraged by JLR to continue. Suddenly and without warning, JLR’s attitude changed, and they sued Magnusson for his hobby business in the villa garage. JLR demanded one million in damages and that the then almost-completed car be destroyed.
JLR won the first round in the Stockholm District Court in 2020, but now lost in the higher Svea Court of Appeal in a very important judgment for the classic car community. The court says in its judgment that JLR has no right to claim copyright infringement in the already-built replica. The court finds that for several decades, there has been a global replica market that Jaguar has accepted and supported and that this constitutes a general consent.
- It is both incomprehensible and distasteful that JLR, as a large international automotive group, would threaten the lives of two private individuals in a peripheral market with a legal process. This has created tremendous economic and mental pressure for more than five years, says Mr. Magnusson.
Mr. Magnusson does not want to speculate why JLR chose to sue him and his wife in Sweden, considering that there are thousands of C-type replicas in the world. Perhaps JLR thought it would be an easy win that would set a precedent worldwide.
- But worse is that Jaguar, with its heritage and position, chooses to put its entire trust at stake and make itself infinitely unpopular in the classical car community, which they themselves benefit from. It is surprising, to say the least, says Mr. Magnusson.
The court states that JLR's general consent can be withdrawn. This is a prejudicial warning bell, not only for replica Jaguar enthusiasts but for all replica owners of other brands worldwide.
For further information, contact:
Karl Magnusson, creareform@gmail.com, +46 73 399 44 37

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes been aware of this case for a while. Not seen this result though. 👍

It's all symptomatic of how JLR had lost it's way under Speth and there were some very undesirable people appointed to senior roles within the organisation.

For others who might not know the story ~ its worth a bit of Google time.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:55 PM
Reaction score
Speth et al were employed because they were a good fit for a flawed culture which has typified JLR for decades.... it permeates their operations down to the showroom floor world wide according to various LR forums. It speaks volumes about the values and attitudes of the JLR board of directors who were most probably aware of the legal strategy. I hope the court awards the Magnussons all their legal costs plus interest!!

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:55 PM
Reaction score
WORLDWIDE PRESS RELEASE Friday 24th March 2023
Swedish C-type replica builder won in court against Jaguar Land Rover
Karl Magnusson (70), a lifelong Jaguar enthusiast who built a replica of the Jaguar C-type, has won an extensive copyright dispute against Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) in the Svea Court of Appeal. The judgment states that JLR has given consent to Magnusson's replica manufacturing and that they will not have to scrap the car nor pay one million in damages.
JLR has never before raised any objections to replica manufacturing of their historic models, and instead have accepted and supported the independent, world-wide replica industry, growing since the 1970s. Mr Magnusson and his wife, being avid classic car enthusiasts their entire life, were well aware of this relationship during the nine years they spent researching and building their C-type replica.
Magnusson was even invited to JLR where he reported in detail his planned replica C-type project and was encouraged by JLR to continue. Suddenly and without warning, JLR’s attitude changed, and they sued Magnusson for his hobby business in the villa garage. JLR demanded one million in damages and that the then almost-completed car be destroyed.
JLR won the first round in the Stockholm District Court in 2020, but now lost in the higher Svea Court of Appeal in a very important judgment for the classic car community. The court says in its judgment that JLR has no right to claim copyright infringement in the already-built replica. The court finds that for several decades, there has been a global replica market that Jaguar has accepted and supported and that this constitutes a general consent.
- It is both incomprehensible and distasteful that JLR, as a large international automotive group, would threaten the lives of two private individuals in a peripheral market with a legal process. This has created tremendous economic and mental pressure for more than five years, says Mr. Magnusson.
Mr. Magnusson does not want to speculate why JLR chose to sue him and his wife in Sweden, considering that there are thousands of C-type replicas in the world. Perhaps JLR thought it would be an easy win that would set a precedent worldwide.
- But worse is that Jaguar, with its heritage and position, chooses to put its entire trust at stake and make itself infinitely unpopular in the classical car community, which they themselves benefit from. It is surprising, to say the least, says Mr. Magnusson.
The court states that JLR's general consent can be withdrawn. This is a prejudicial warning bell, not only for replica Jaguar enthusiasts but for all replica owners of other brands worldwide.
For further information, contact:
Karl Magnusson, creareform@gmail.com, +46 73 399 44 37
Yes have been following and I am a Jag enthusiast, I have 4, and know many with amazing replicas. This was dastardly of JLR and didn’t hurt in my decision making process to buy a Grenadier instead of a New Defender

Bushguide

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
7:55 AM
Reaction score
Yes have been following and I am a Jag enthusiast, I have 4, and know many with amazing replicas. This was dastardly of JLR and didn’t hurt in my decision making process to buy a Grenadier instead of a New Defender
It makes me wonder???

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes after losing their way with the defender going up market, they are going the same way with the jaguar. It's lost its sporting luxury image into a mundane family car. I understand that the sporting F- Type ( only 5L left) is to go as well. Speth's policy seems to be sue anyone that gets tradition right instead of acknowledging he may have got it wrong.

Back
Top Bottom