The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Anyone else considering returning their Ineos Grenadier?

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:16 PM
Reaction score
I agree customer service isn’t great. Simple things such as providing a correct invoice is difficult for them. I still don’t have mine.

However, jacket and waiting for accessories isn’t a big issue especially in the current climate due to shortages and inflation.

The door leak, shouldn’t have happened if they quality checked it properly. However I do think the outer door seals is a poor design. They should have attach the seals using clips/plugs instead of adhesive like my Jimny.

Anyway, your issue with water in the door sill is a very easy fix. One of the door seals has just come undone on a corner somewhere. Just stick it backdown gently using a hairdryer or heat gun. Job done, easy.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I was one of the first to order the Grenadier several years ago, as I was so pleased by the announcement of its release. I admired the concept and the way Sir James Ratcliffe went against the grain.

I was fully aware that, as a new company with a new car, there would be issues, and indeed, I encountered problems when placing my order, and my vehicle still lacks a number of optional components.

That is tolerable, but the fact that they refuse to communicate with me or my dealer with either no response or meaningless gibberish is intolerable.

I am aware that in the grand scheme of things this is unimportant, but this is an excellent illustration.

A couple of days ago I received an email informing me that I could claim my Belstaff Trialmaster jacket. I was ecstatic, so I went to order my jacket. However, when I went to the website to claim my jacket, I was unable to do so because the information provided did not work. I reread the email and used the email address they said to use if you have any issues, but the email bounced. I took photos of the scene and a copy of the non-delivery response and wrote a lengthy explanation to Ineos Customer Service. After several emails back and forth, I received the following response: " For now, we are having some problems with our website, We do apologize for any inconvenience caused, and we are grateful for your patience.”. I told them I already knew it was defective.

The next day it rained, and the side of the vehicle facing the prevailing wind and rain was the passenger side. I opened the passenger door and it was full of water contained in by the door seals. I believe the rain got in because the window seal failed to do its job, so I emailed and rang my dealer, and the response was deafening silence. I just felt he was embarrassed and could not add anything, so he said nothing. As you can imagine, I have had numerous conversations with them, but I do not hold them accountable because I believe they are as frustrated as I am by the dearth of a meaningful response.

I love the vehicle and the design concept; it drives well for what it is designed to do, it has character and is purposeful.

My dilemma is that the lack of meaningful engagement from Ineo Grenadier will destroy my enjoyment of the vehicle and make it extremely difficult if not impossible to formulate a resolution strategy.

The question is whether to return the vehicle for a full refund and search for another vehicle, or to keep the vehicle.
I feel very sorry for you and the bad luck you have endured. Fortunately for myself, I have had no need to contact Ineos. If Ineos fail to improve their customer service experience very soon, it will not take long for things to go pear shaped.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:16 AM
Reaction score

I was one of the first to order the Grenadier several years ago, as I was so pleased by the announcement of its release. I admired the concept and the way Sir James Ratcliffe went against the grain.

I was fully aware that, as a new company with a new car, there would be issues, and indeed, I encountered problems when placing my order, and my vehicle still lacks a number of optional components.

That is tolerable, but the fact that they refuse to communicate with me or my dealer with either no response or meaningless gibberish is intolerable.

I am aware that in the grand scheme of things this is unimportant, but this is an excellent illustration.

A couple of days ago I received an email informing me that I could claim my Belstaff Trialmaster jacket. I was ecstatic, so I went to order my jacket. However, when I went to the website to claim my jacket, I was unable to do so because the information provided did not work. I reread the email and used the email address they said to use if you have any issues, but the email bounced. I took photos of the scene and a copy of the non-delivery response and wrote a lengthy explanation to Ineos Customer Service. After several emails back and forth, I received the following response: " For now, we are having some problems with our website, We do apologize for any inconvenience caused, and we are grateful for your patience.”. I told them I already knew it was defective.

The next day it rained, and the side of the vehicle facing the prevailing wind and rain was the passenger side. I opened the passenger door and it was full of water contained in by the door seals. I believe the rain got in because the window seal failed to do its job, so I emailed and rang my dealer, and the response was deafening silence. I just felt he was embarrassed and could not add anything, so he said nothing. As you can imagine, I have had numerous conversations with them, but I do not hold them accountable because I believe they are as frustrated as I am by the dearth of a meaningful response.

I love the vehicle and the design concept; it drives well for what it is designed to do, it has character and is purposeful.

My dilemma is that the lack of meaningful engagement from Ineo Grenadier will destroy my enjoyment of the vehicle and make it extremely difficult if not impossible to formulate a resolution strategy.

The question is whether to return the vehicle for a full refund and search for another vehicle, or to keep the vehicle.
I am probably going to make a comment that has already been covered elsewhere below but..........................
  • Ordering only opened on 18th May 2022. Just over 1 year ago. Not several years ago.
  • I wasn't aware that when you buy a motor vehicle that you can just return it if you aren't happy, for a full refund.
  • I was fully aware
    That is tolerable
    I am aware that in the grand scheme of things this is unimportant
  • They refuse to communicate with you, or your dealer, and yet they sent you an email advising you can redeem your jacket.
  • After being unable to order the jacket online you took photo's and copies and wrote a lengthy explanation. Other people on here just tried again later.
  • Despite the fact neither you, or your dealer, are getting responses from Ineos at all, you received the following response, which sounds quite reasonable to me.
    " For now, we are having some problems with our website, We do apologize for any inconvenience caused, and we are grateful for your patience.​
  • Leak in external door seal is well documented on here, and it also how the interior seal stops the water from getting into the interior of the car. Most vehicles only have one seal so the water would have run straight out. You have just proven that the door sealing system will stop water coming in when wading, just as it stops water getting out.
  • Once again you emailed and rang your dealer, despite not talking with them at all, you had a "feeling" they were embarrassed. Could you please have a "feeling" what the lotto numbers will be next week.
  • Maybe don't communicate with your dealer or Ineos for a month or two and when you finally do keep it short, polite and to the point.

Last edited:
Local time
1:16 PM
Reaction score
But next year all the prices would be at least 10% more than he actually paid.
So what?
Maybe it is, maybe it isnt.
But he gets a brand new vehicle and hopefully a little less buggy.
Though Im not so sure about the last part.

Local time
Reaction score

Mate my wife has more faults than the Grenadier yet I kept her for 50 years. The grenadier is a great opportunity to make it your own. Go with your original gut feeling.

Camskii

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
I am probably going to make a comment that has already been covered elsewhere below but..........................
  • Ordering only opened on 18th May 2022. Just over 1 year ago. Not several years ago.
  • I wasn't aware that when you buy a motor vehicle that you can just return it if you aren't happy, for a full refund.

• They refuse to communicate with you, or your dealer, and yet they sent you an email advising you can redeem your jacket.
  • After being unable to order the jacket online you took photo's and copies and wrote a lengthy explanation. Other people on here just tried again later.
  • Despite the fact neither you, or your dealer, are getting responses from Ineos at all, you received the following response, which sounds quite reasonable to me.
    " For now, we are having some problems with our website, We do apologize for any inconvenience caused, and we are grateful for your patience.​
  • Leak in external door seal is well documented on here, and it also how the interior seal stops the water from getting into the interior of the car. Most vehicles only have one seal so the water would have run straight out. You have just proven that the door sealing system will stop water coming in when wading, just as it stops water getting out.
  • Once again you emailed and rang your dealer, despite not talking with them at all, you had a "feeling" they were embarrassed. Could you please have a "feeling" what the lotto numbers will be next week.
  • Maybe don't communicate with your dealer or Ineos for a month or two and when you finally do keep it short, polite and to the point.

Ship Navy GIF by World of Warships

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mate my wife has more faults than the Grenadier yet I kept her for 50 years. The grenadier is a great opportunity to make it your own. Go with your original gut feeling.
I have to ask, do you consider ever loaning out your Grenadier to anyone else?

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
1:16 PM
Reaction score
I think we have all gotten used to a certain level of service and customer care based on our previous dealings with huge multinational auto manufacturers. Ineos Automotive is not GM, Toyota, or JLR despite the personal wealth of its founder and I doubt Ineos will ever live up to that standard - at least not and remain profitable selling a few tens of thousands of vehicles per year. Ratcliffe appears to be a pragmatist and will shutter the works and walk away with a lifetime supply of Grenadiers or raise prices commensurate with customers demands for top tier attention and customer service. I don't want either of those outcomes.

IA is a small company and I will cut them a ton of slack because they appear to be trying and I don't see any other option out there anyway. Heck, they still have people in management that call their coffee table an office. My patience has been rewarded several times already with customer service team members calling back to double check some minor point or issue that I never expected to occur and I don't even have a vehicle. Who could ask for more?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My patience has been rewarded several times already with customer service team members calling back to double check some minor point or issue that I never expected to occur and I don't even have a vehicle. Who could ask for more?

It does sound like you have had the level of service that the OP was hoping for. I'd suggest your experience was not the norm however.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
OP is an early adopter, so it'll be 15% dearer plus any price rises next year.
plus more safety gizmos (to go wrong) as lane assist etc etc

Local time
Reaction score
As someone looking at purchasing one, I do find these threads interesting.

The challenge is to navigate between genuine concerns vs personal perception of what is acceptable.

I'm coming at this from a position of owning both classic Defenders (a few purchased new via JLR, the last one being a 2015 90) as well as owning other vehicles produced by small volume manufacturers, as well as classic cars (anything pre-80s).

Discounting the lack of jacket, which I view as an annoyance rather than an issue with the vehicle, then it boils down to quality issues / control.

Reading this forum, some owners seem to have had a problem with water ingress into the footwells - not a deal breaker but a frustration. One owner attributes it to a kink in the door seal, which fixing seems to have rectified the fault. As for the others, not sure whether they have gotten to the bottom of what is causing the problem and resolved it? If this is a reasonably common issue both Ineos and the ADs need to get on top of it because it will stop new customers from committing; given the available cars, I'd suggest the lacklustre reviews, which all seem to focus on: poor mgp, steering feel, wheel turns lock to lock and general below average build quality (including RHD driver's footwell hump) are all contributing to this. Lots of negative forum posts, vlogs and social media posts won't make it better.

I worked closely with an established small volume UK car manufacturer and they always (still do) had (have) quality issues; rarely things that would strand a customer but things that would niggle and frustrate. Price point was/is not dissimilar to the Grenadier. The worst problems stemmed from new to the brand owners because they compared their new car to Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, etc etc. The moment you did that, the downward trajectory in satisfaction was set. My advice, after studying the situation for years and across a broad spectrum of owners, was that the manufacturer needed to better educate dealers when it came to new owners and set realistic expectations. In other words: 'this vehicle may not be perfect from new but if there are issues, they will be addressed and rectified at the first, break-in, service.' Of course, this can be delivered more eloquently than my paraphrase but you get the point.

HOWEVER, there was always two issues: firstly, no sales person wants to be honest in the manner required because it could stop a sale. Secondly, even if the salesperson does try to bring expectations in line with reality, the possible owner may have their rose tinted glasses on and when issues occur the response will be 'you said there may be issues BUT I didn't think they would be this 'bad'!

Needless to say, it went nowhere.

Reading this forum, I hope Ineos isn't falling into the same trap - over promising and under delivering, made worse by unrealistic expectations and lack of realistic ones being voiced at purchase and delivery stage.

I will also add that I am a firm believer that people don't remember problems, they remember how they were resolved or not... and if comms are poor at dealer / head office level, this is simply going to exacerbate all of the above.

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'd suggest the lacklustre reviews, which all seem to focus on: poor mgp, steering feel, wheel turns lock to lock and general below average build quality (including RHD driver's footwell hump)
Hard to see the hump as a build quality issue?

I worked closely with an established small volume UK car manufacturer and they always (still do) had (have) quality issues; rarely things that would strand a customer but things that would niggle and frustrate. Price point was/is not dissimilar to the Grenadier. The worst problems stemmed from new to the brand owners because they compared their new car to Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, etc etc. The moment you did that, the downward trajectory in satisfaction was set.
Lotus?

I will also add that I am a firm believer that people don't remember problems, they remember how they were resolved or not... and if comms are poor at dealer / head office level, this is simply going to exacerbate all of the above.
This I truly believe. Take a major problem for a customer and delight them with a bespoke response and you have a customer with a higher commitment to the brand than one that had no problems but also no personal interaction.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As someone looking at purchasing one, I do find these threads interesting.

The challenge is to navigate between genuine concerns vs personal perception of what is acceptable.

I'm coming at this from a position of owning both classic Defenders (a few purchased new via JLR, the last one being a 2015 90) as well as owning other vehicles produced by small volume manufacturers, as well as classic cars (anything pre-80s).

Discounting the lack of jacket, which I view as an annoyance rather than an issue with the vehicle, then it boils down to quality issues / control.

Reading this forum, some owners seem to have had a problem with water ingress into the footwells - not a deal breaker but a frustration. One owner attributes it to a kink in the door seal, which fixing seems to have rectified the fault. As for the others, not sure whether they have gotten to the bottom of what is causing the problem and resolved it? If this is a reasonably common issue both Ineos and the ADs need to get on top of it because it will stop new customers from committing; given the available cars, I'd suggest the lacklustre reviews, which all seem to focus on: poor mgp, steering feel, wheel turns lock to lock and general below average build quality (including RHD driver's footwell hump) are all contributing to this. Lots of negative forum posts, vlogs and social media posts won't make it better.

I worked closely with an established small volume UK car manufacturer and they always (still do) had (have) quality issues; rarely things that would strand a customer but things that would niggle and frustrate. Price point was/is not dissimilar to the Grenadier. The worst problems stemmed from new to the brand owners because they compared their new car to Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, etc etc. The moment you did that, the downward trajectory in satisfaction was set. My advice, after studying the situation for years and across a broad spectrum of owners, was that the manufacturer needed to better educate dealers when it came to new owners and set realistic expectations. In other words: 'this vehicle may not be perfect from new but if there are issues, they will be addressed and rectified at the first, break-in, service.' Of course, this can be delivered more eloquently than my paraphrase but you get the point.

HOWEVER, there was always two issues: firstly, no sales person wants to be honest in the manner required because it could stop a sale. Secondly, even if the salesperson does try to bring expectations in line with reality, the possible owner may have their rose tinted glasses on and when issues occur the response will be 'you said there may be issues BUT I didn't think they would be this 'bad'!

Needless to say, it went nowhere.

Reading this forum, I hope Ineos isn't falling into the same trap - over promising and under delivering, made worse by unrealistic expectations and lack of realistic ones being voiced at purchase and delivery stage.

Hi Toady
I think if you need to be persuaded about the suitability of the Grenadier, this probably isn’t the vehicle for you, right now at least. Those of us who are advocates, seem to ‘know’ this is the right vehicle and approach the problems on a collaborative front believing these are things to be solved. If that isn’t you, perhaps wait to see how it pans out.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:16 PM
Reaction score
Hi Toady
I think if you need to be persuaded about the suitability of the Grenadier, this probably isn’t the vehicle for you, right now at least. Those of us who are advocates, seem to ‘know’ this is the right vehicle and approach the problems on a collaborative front believing these are things to be solved. If that isn’t you, perhaps wait to see how it pans out.
@Cheshire cat I agree with you wholeheartedly!

Reactions: Max

John Dean

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Sure, but in the original post only a jacket ordering issue and an external seal were mentioned.
The jacket issue was just to highlight how they operate. i have outstanding 10+ items that have not been delivered, and they just keep telling me it will be with me in a couple months, Now they are 7 months late They can't be specific about any item i have ordered. I have a list of faults, from steering, to the winch to various software issues, water ingress, etc. My issue is not the faults or the outstanding optional extras, it's just that they are incapable of having meaningful discussions about the plan to resolve the issues or to give me a heads up on my outstanding items.

Back
Top Bottom