The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Any thoughts about mounting spare on roof to improve rear visibility?

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:43 AM
Reaction score
I know many have had great success with the Wolf box, but Just wondering if it made any sense to mount the spare onto the roof so it no longer obstructs the rear view. Would that be difficult? I'm assuming we'd need some kind of bracket to secure it. Maybe it makes no sense because of how heavy it is? Just thinking about getting the spare off the roof in the event of a flat gives me pause.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If I’m honest, there’s no way I could easily and safely get a wheel/tire combo with that mass up or down. I’m not the biggest guy by any means, but even so it’s an awkward ask at best.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If I’m honest, there’s no way I could easily and safely get a wheel/tire combo with that mass up or down. I’m not the biggest guy by any means, but even so it’s an awkward ask at best.
makes sense. seems dangerous haha.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:43 PM
Reaction score
think @Logsplitter has one maybe two up there. could ask him for views.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:43 PM
Reaction score
I know many have had great success with the Wolf box, but Just wondering if it made any sense to mount the spare onto the roof so it no longer obstructs the rear view. Would that be difficult? I'm assuming we'd need some kind of bracket to secure it. Maybe it makes no sense because of how heavy it is? Just thinking about getting the spare off the roof in the event of a flat gives me pause.
It's hard enough to wrangle the tyre off the existing mount and replace as it is...

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Great thoughts thanks. bad idea. I do think the rearview mirror would suffice if I didn't have the spare back there. I like the Wolf Box, but I absorb enough blue light as it is. :)

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:43 AM
Reaction score
IMO, the left/right door split is more intrusive to reward view than the spare tire.
With the left (larger) side of the 60/40 rear seatback folded flat I actually have some rear view mirror visibility out the vehicle’s right rear window (the one in the 70% door).

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I wish that we could replace the passenger and driver side rear headrests with the same headrest as the center seat. This would increase some visibility.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:43 AM
Reaction score
I've put a 65 pound tire on the roof of my L663. I used the work smarter not harder mantra and used one of the collapsible ladders to roll it up. That was easy part, getting it down was the hard part. You fling off the roof and you could wreck the rim. You roll off the roof and you have a rolling away cannonball. I ended parking my truck next to our brick fireplace chimney and rolled it off. It's a lot of work either way. If I would do it again, I would leave it at home and just bring my tire repair kit and fix a flat.

LeftCoastOverland

Production/Transit
Local time
11:43 PM
Reaction score
I've put a 65 pound tire on the roof of my L663. I used the work smarter not harder mantra and used one of the collapsible ladders to roll it up. That was easy part, getting it down was the hard part. You fling off the roof and you could wreck the rim. You roll off the roof and you have a rolling away cannonball. I ended parking my truck next to our brick fireplace chimney and rolled it off. It's a lot of work either way. If I would do it again, I would leave it at home and just bring my tire repair kit and fix a flat.
If going remote always carry an aired up spare. Hard to fix a busted rim, especially if it’s alloy. Ask this guy…
View: https://youtu.be/1O_HXTV_V08?si=8WAjKR__sQ-ycK9Q

Back
Top Bottom