The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Alu-cab grenadier

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:40 PM
Reaction score
FR 3
Taz,
What Rack / RTT combo have you decided to go with?
Looking at a FR Slimline II 3/4 rack to accommodate for my safari windows doesn't leave much room to play with unless I choose to overhang the front portion of an Alucab or iKamper BDV. The Bundutec is about the only one that perfectly fits a 3/4 rack profile.

Thanks!
FR 3/4 ; Darche RTT (soft top)

LeftCoastOverland

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
FR 3

FR 3/4 ; Darche RTT (soft top)
Ok thanks for the reply!
Looking at say Their Intrepidor 2 ( for example) I'm seeing 2400mmLx1400mmW for the dimensions.
Compared to the FR 3/4 being 1964 L x 1575 W
Does the Darche model you've chosen hang off either end of the rack or is it a perfect fit?

I'm worried about overhang impacting the use of those safari windows.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the reply!
Looking at say Their Intrepidor 2 ( for example) I'm seeing 2400mmLx1400mmW for the dimensions.
Does the Darche model you've chosen hang off either end of the rack or is it a perfect fit?

Haven't got my car yet , but will hang it off the side.
Opposite side gers a 270 awning.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the reply!

When folded out sideways to the Front Runner rack, the Darche RTT is 2400mm but when folded back for travelling it's only 1210mm so it sits inside the width of the Frontrunner (1575mm). Along the tent is only 1430mm long and the rack is 1964mm long, there is no overhang, in fact there will be 530mm of additional rack space for other stuff.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
When folded out sideways to the Front Runner rack, the Darche RTT is 2400mm but when folded back for travelling it's only 1210mm so it sits inside the width of the Frontrunner (1575mm). Along the tent is only 1430mm long and the rack is 1964mm long, there is no overhang, in fact there will be 530mm of additional rack space for other stuff.
Seems to match my calculations 🙂

StevieG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:40 AM
Reaction score
I saw a video where the Alucab guys drove one of the original prototypes and they said they were looking at the CAD files already.
They said the roof switch panel might be an issue
I installed an Alucab rooftop tent 3R on a Frontrunner three quarter length roof rack. In order to preserve the flexibility of using the safari window the tent was set up to overhang the rear. Now after ten days off extreme off-roading along the Skeleton Coast of Namibia I can report the following. Because of the position of the fastening brackets on the tent itself there is a longer unsupport section at the front. This causes the tent to rattle against the rack on rough roads which makes the use off the safari windows very noisy. Also, if you also install the 270’degree Alucab awning which needs to b fixed to the side of the tent, the tent is off centre due to the width of the vehicle. This needs some attentions also.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:40 AM
Reaction score
I installed an Alucab rooftop tent 3R on a Frontrunner three quarter length roof rack. In order to preserve the flexibility of using the safari window the tent was set up to overhang the rear. Now after ten days off extreme off-roading along the Skeleton Coast of Namibia I can report the following. Because of the position of the fastening brackets on the tent itself there is a longer unsupport section at the front. This causes the tent to rattle against the rack on rough roads which makes the use off the safari windows very noisy. Also, if you also install the 270’degree Alucab awning which needs to b fixed to the side of the tent, the tent is off centre due to the width of the vehicle. This needs some attentions also.
Would love to see some pics of your set-up with the Safari Windows open, since I was also thinking about an Alu-Cab Gen 3R tent.

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:40 AM
Reaction score
Would love to see some pics of your set-up with the Safari Windows open, since I was also thinking about an Alu-Cab Gen 3R tent.
+1

Back
Top Bottom