The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Accredited tires ?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:33 AM
Reaction score
Is there any information about tires to be allowed?

In particular the BFG KM3 are interesting me. They seem to be mounted in some videos.

What do you think - will they be on the list of accredited tires?

dominicperry

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:33 PM
Reaction score
I wonder if you've seen the KM3's on videos where they are using 35" tyres? There's been no official mention of 35's anywhere, but they are clearly fitted by Ineos for some of their videos, along with the wider flared wheel arches. 
I'm guessing we can work out what is appropriate once we know the vehicle weight and various other capacities. I would also expect that any approved KO2 size can be replaced by its equivalent KM3 without concern - although I'd check with BFGoodrich first.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:33 AM
Reaction score
Thank you, good points.

> ... if you've seen the KM3's on videos where they are using 35" tyres?

I have no idea whether they had 35" sizes.
But for the KM3s, I just assume they used them because in the side view the tires looked more aggressive than the KO2s.

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:33 AM
Reaction score

d1rty

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:33 PM
Reaction score
Looking at the configurator, it looks like it says Deuler AT 001 on the side.  From what I can tell, the US doesn't get that model, but the tread pattern is similar to the Deuler Revo 3.  Looks like the Revo 3 has the "brodozer" sidewall treatment, though - gotta look good in the mall parking lots!

In all seriousness, though, the Revo 3 gets good reviews from consumers and testers at TireRack, as an AT that is road biased.  I'm betting that the Ineos spec is likely tuning of the sidewall strenth and maybe tread compound to get the results they're looking for.  Will be interesting to see if the Deuler AT 001 makes it to the US market, or if we get Revo 3s here.

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Awesome D1rty - I tried to look on the configurator for any codes on the side of the tyre, but only got as far as Dueler.

I look forward to knowing a bit more about the Dueler, only because based on all reading, the K02's aren't getting much love out there at the moment as a tyre based on online reviews.
On road handling seems to be way down, wet tarmac grip is bad, life span perhaps isn't what it once was.
I could dismiss these reviews quite easily, if it wasn't the experience of two of my best mates who have had them on their vehicles recently too.
I appreciate that the KO2's are great as an AT offroad - which is what the Gren is built for - but most of the time is still spent on the tarmac - so it is a bit of a factor in the decision making process.

d1rty

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Well, I'm just a titanium endoskeleton on the internet, but add my KO2 gripes to the list.  I had a set for about 50k miles on my Toyota Tundra.  Replaced Michelin LTX ATII (OEM) and replaced by Cooper Discoverer AT3 LTX.  The KO2s are BAD on wet tarmac.  I live in an area that gets a lot of rain (Norther Virginia), and it was not fun when the KO2s were on the truck.  I had them offroad several times, and they truly excel in that use.  I had them in Death Valley, running fast over lava rock trails.  They held up great, no punctures (couldn't say that for the rest of the crew), great traction.  The other big negative is the noise.  They are loud on the road.  Not as bad as dedicated mud tires, but on the loud side for ATs.

The current Cooper Discoverer AT3 LTX are amazing.  Superb on wet and snowy/slushy tarmac, super quiet.  I have had them offroad - though not on stuff as gnarly as the KO2s went through - and they have traction that is nearly on par with the KO2s.  I would love to put them on a torture test like that 80MPH blast across lava rocks and see if they're as tough as the KO2s.  But in every other measure that I have to compare them to the KO2, they are close to equal (off-road) or clearly superior (on-road) in my mind, and are my new go-to tire.  One close friend also made the move from KO2s to Coopers after riding in my truck, and is just as happy.

So all that said, I'll probably spec my Grenadier with 17" steelies and KO2s.  I don't think I could live with myself with minivan tires on such a machine.  Then I'll put some money away to eventually upgrade to some new alloys (Method/Baird/Rays) and Coopers.

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:33 PM
Reaction score
I’ve had KO2s on my truck since day 1 and have been very happy with them. Admittedly I don’t have any experience with other AT tires but they felt decent in the wet as long as you respect the fact that they are off road tires on a vehicle weighing over 5000 lbs. At some point physics will win. 
I am mulling switching to Cooper STT ATs when I replace the KO2s. Sidewall strength is a key factor in my decisions and the KO2s are ace here. 
@d1rty like you I might spec the Grenadier with steelies and KO2s and replace them with a set of Methods or Braids and 33s

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:33 AM
Reaction score
@Paachi id personally steer clear of the Cooper ST MAXX all terrain hybrid tyres, had some on my jeep and they were horrendous when hitting water at speed! NEVER been so violently dragged sideways by a puddle as I used to be with them.

Switched to TOYO MTs and then Cooper STT PRO muds (both far more aggressive tread pattern) and neither were any way near as bad.

As for KO2s, i don't think they last as long any more due to the rubber compound being noticeably softer than the KO1s. This would give them more grip when rock crawling though

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
@Spjnr thanks. That’s good feedback. I am actually surprised about the feedback on the STT MAXX. Do you think their poor performance was correlated to the stiff sidewall and relatively low flex due to the lighter weight of the Jeeps? Or do you think the compound sucks? I haven’t heard many people complain about them. 

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:33 AM
Reaction score
Paachi said:
@Spjnr thanks. That’s good feedback. I am actually surprised about the feedback on the STT MAXX. Do you think their poor performance was correlated to the stiff sidewall and relatively low flex due to the lighter weight of the Jeeps? Or do you think the compound sucks? I haven’t heard many people complain about them. 

I think it was just the tread pattern of the ST Maxx. The Toyo mud terrains were far heavier construction with stiffer sidewalls and didn't have the same issue.

Apart from the water issue they weren't bad tyres, but that alone was enough to put me off them.

The STT Pros were very good all-round, and a potential tyre choice for my Grenadier 

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I have been running ST Maxx on my 06 Tundra. I like the tires but they certainly don’t last long. Last set was just under 30k. Have K02 on our GX460 currently. Absolutely no complaints and that is 99% on road. I tried Cooper AT3 for about 10k miles. Worst tires I have ever been on in snow. On any side slope you would simply slide down the hill. Very very scary. They came off quickly. I don’t know how they can say they are snow rated. 

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
It’s really interesting to see varied views on the tires. KO2s definitely score well on off-road capabilities across the board on subjective evaluations. Maybe there is some manufacturing shifts or one off aberrations which leads to varying on road performance feedback. In any case they are still right now my AT tire of choice. 
I have been intrigued by MT tires like the Cooper STT Pro but for daily driving I fear they’ll be too noisy and the weight would rob some of the acceleration. 
Any thoughts on the group on Falken Wildpeak At3W or MTs? I have been hearing some reviewers talk about them a lot recently. I don’t know if it’s the media cycle or if Falken has truly made some good progress in tire design

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I currently have the Falken Wildpeaks AT3W on my Amarok V6 - and have done 10,000 kilometers on them.
I mainly purchased them after reading many good reviews from happy customers, friends who had used them, and the tyre shop who recommended them.
The independent tyre shop was shopping them up against the BFG K02 when talking to me, and he was  big seller of the K02's as well.

There on tarmac handling has proved to be exceptional in every facet, noise, grip, wet handling.

My main focus is towing and offroad towing, (not 4x4ing) and to date I cannot report anything bad.

Interestingly I noted that Andrew St Pierre White, put the Falken muddies on his latest build.  

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I use wildpeaks and love them.  Great in the woods, towing and wet PNW days.  I run the F load  and  sidewalls have held up to low pressure jagged rock sections.   

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have been a lover of the Cooper ST for 15 years. Have worn through 3 sets of them in that time, they lasted 80,000 km's each time, never had a puncture, I am fastiduous about my tyre pressures.

My latest tyres are Mickey Tompson ATZ P3 (done 10,000 k's). These basically have the same carcuss as the ST's, MT is owned by Cooper after all. However they are better in almost every way than the Coopers. Better on rocks (traction and less chipping), dirt, mud, bituman (wet and dry), maybe not so good in soft sand - still undecided about that one.

They are especially good on gravel roads, where they stick like glue even at highway pressures. Only downside is they are a bit noisier than the ST's on bituman.
I own a 4WD for its off-road ability, am willing to put up with reduced 4WD vehicle, and tyre performance on-road.

Yes they are expensive, but realiability is paramount for me. These tyres are way tougher than cheaper variants, so I only need to carry one spare (and a plug kit), thus a nice weight reduction.

Back
Top Bottom