The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

83 inch garage, figure 82inch max height- Can I realistically do anything?

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:19 AM
Reaction score
I guess a roof rack, lift and tires together are a no-go. Lift and tires probably not, and I’m not even sure if I can get bigger tires…

I did get the towing, but not the front winch- if that makes a difference. DIdn’t realize how close I was even on the stock reported height of 80.7 inches. Coming from a Tahoe, I didn’t think I’d have any issues. Glad I haven’t pre-ordered a lift, tires and rack..

Really wanted slightly bigger tires, but will I need a lift too?

Frick, this thing is tall.

***Crap, if I have the ‘sun roof’ windows open/ajar, how tall are those???

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
5:19 AM
Reaction score
Just do the math. My garage opening is 83" tall. I put 285/70's on AND the Leitner low profile rack and I have about 1/2 to 3/4" clearance to get in the garage. It is possible.

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I guess a roof rack, lift and tires together are a no-go. Lift and tires probably not, and I’m not even sure if I can get bigger tires…

I did get the towing, but not the front winch- if that makes a difference. DIdn’t realize how close I was even on the stock reported height of 80.7 inches. Coming from a Tahoe, I didn’t think I’d have any issues. Glad I haven’t pre-ordered a lift, tires and rack..

Brings back flashbacks of when I got my Raptor. Thank goodness the dealership was close and they let me drive to the house to make sure it fit. I had literally a few inches in height, width, and length.

Hope you get it sorted out.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just do the math. My garage opening is 83" tall. I put 285/70's on AND the Leitner low profile rack and I have about 1/2 to 3/4" clearance to get in the garage. It is possible.
How much does the LO-Pro rack add? Is the 80.7 inch for the height stock on the website maybe a bit tall?

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If I replace the rub strips on top with Delrin or UHMWPP..

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
255/80/17 pizza cutters give a nice look, add a little height, but not much. Somebody on the forum has done the Goodyear Duratrac RTs in this size and measured 80.5 inches tall. Leitner has a low profile rack that adds minimal height, can't remember the exact number, there is a thread with a video attached that gives the measurement, so maybe there is some hope of finding a combo that will work and still get it in the garage. Depending on the angle of your driveway you might squeak out a little bit more room as you pull in as well.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Hi MileHigh, If you have 83" clearance height you may be in better shape than you think.

Ineos says that the Grenadier is 80.7" tall, however just today I measured my Grenadier extremely accurately with a level and it is exactly 78.938" tall from the ground to the top of the plastic strips on the roof.
If the safari windows are opened, that adds exactly 2.4" in height over and above the plastic strips on the roof, giving you a total height of 81.34".

If you decide to go up from a stock 31.9" tire to a 33" tire, you will only add 1/2 of the difference in tire height, which will only lift the vehicle by .55".
With 33" tires on, then the height to the top of the 4 plastic roof strips is 79.488" and to the top of opened safari windows would be 81.89".

If you decide to put on a low profile Leitner Design Rack, that will add 2.25 in height above the plastic roof strips.
If running stock 31.9" tires, your total height with a Leitner Design Rack will be 81.188" high and if you decide on 33" tires,
your total height with the Leitner Design Rack will be 81.738" tall.

Here's a bit of info about my Grenadier, as it's height may be different than yours.
Trial Master with most options including winch, side steps, ladder, dual battery set up.
I have the stock 17" alloys with the BF Goodrich KO2's, which are the stock height of 31.9".
All the tires are aired down to 37psi for a softer ride.
Leitner Design rack is not yet installed.
I had approximately 1/4 tank of gas. No passengers in vehicle when measured.
Perhaps 35 pounds of stuff in the rear boot.

DaBull

Korg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:19 PM
Reaction score

Time for a new house?
or
Excavate your garage floor?
or
Add a new concrete slab and third/fourth garage or car port?
or
Add a barn?
or
First Grenadier convertible?

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have made the same calculations for my future Sprinter. It also has a higher chassis, BF Goodrich, roof hatches and solar panels on the roof. Unless I've miscalculated, I still have 2.8in to the garage door crossbar. Tight, but should be enough.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Time for a new house?
or
or
or
Add a barn?
or
I hope it won’t be an impromptu convertible conversion…. I did joke with my wife about shaving down the slab a little bit. We actually right now our car, heavy, with two garage spots and three cars. I was just planning on keeping the grenadier undercover.

Local time
1:19 PM
Reaction score
I
Hi MileHigh, If you have 83" clearance height you may be in better shape than you think.

Ineos says that the Grenadier is 80.7" tall, however just today I measured my Grenadier extremely accurately with a level and it is exactly 78.938" tall from the ground to the top of the plastic strips on the roof.
If the safari windows are opened, that adds exactly 2.4" in height over and above the plastic strips on the roof, giving you a total height of 81.34".

If you decide to go up from a stock 31.9" tire to a 33" tire, you will only add 1/2 of the difference in tire height, which will only lift the vehicle by .55".
With 33" tires on, then the height to the top of the 4 plastic roof strips is 79.488" and to the top of opened safari windows would be 81.89".

If you decide to put on a low profile Leitner Design Rack, that will add 2.25 in height above the plastic roof strips.
If running stock 31.9" tires, your total height with a Leitner Design Rack will be 81.188" high and if you decide on 33" tires,
your total height with the Leitner Design Rack will be 81.738" tall.

Here's a bit of info about my Grenadier, as it's height may be different than yours.
Trial Master with most options including winch, side steps, ladder, dual battery set up.
I have the stock 17" alloys with the BF Goodrich KO2's, which are the stock height of 31.9".
All the tires are aired down to 37psi for a softer ride.
Leitner Design rack is not yet installed.
I had approximately 1/4 tank of gas. No passengers in vehicle when measured.
Perhaps 35 pounds of stuff in the rear boot.

DaBull

I wonder if the difference between the height Ineos lists (80.7") and the height of your Grenadier (78.938") is a consequence of the weight-adding options you have (winch, side steps, dual batteries). As you know, Ineos has different springs for different configurations, and you would have gotten a stiffer set of springs to off-set the weight of the winch, etc., but maybe these springs don't bring it back to "unladen" ride height. Just a thought.

Another possibility... did you measure on a really cold day before driving the vehicle? If so, its possible your tires had low pressure.

Three decimal places in your measurement... sounds like you used a

austin-powers.png
😄

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I wonder if the difference between the height Ineos lists (80.7") and the height of your Grenadier (78.938") is a consequence of the weight-adding options you have (winch, side steps, dual batteries). As you know, Ineos has different springs for different configurations, and you would have gotten a stiffer set of springs to off-set the weight of the winch, etc., but maybe these springs don't bring it back to "unladen" ride height. Just a thought.

Another possibility... did you measure on a really cold day before driving the vehicle? If so, its possible your tires had low pressure.

Three decimal places in your measurement... sounds like you used a

View attachment 7848309
😄
Hi stickshifter, I did not use a laser, however I did use a 6' long level and placed it across all 4 roof strips and used shims to get it perfectly level in order to get an accurate measurement. I then measured everything to 1/32" and in the case of my Grenadier being 79.938" in height, that equals 79 15/16", which I then converted to 79.938", when I should have just rounded it up to 79.94", however that would not have been 79 15/16", LOL. As noted, my tire pressures front and back were 37 psi. and they were cold, perhaps 60 degrees. (Yes I know 60 degrees is not cold). I am not the only one on the forum to report Ineos having the height too high.
I was surprised that for my build they were too high by 1.762" or should I say 1.76" . 🤣 DaBull

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I have made the same calculations for my future Sprinter. It also has a higher chassis, BF Goodrich, roof hatches and solar panels on the roof. Unless I've miscalculated, I still have 2.8in to the garage door crossbar. Tight, but should be enough.
Yowza, you must have a tall garage!

TRAILMASTER

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:19 AM
Reaction score
Precisely the reason I bypassed ordering a roof rack as my city garage barely provides 82" clearance.
Built a garage at my "2025" retirement garage with an 8' & 9' tall garage doors for the IG and boat

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Time for a new house?
or
or
or
Add a barn?
or

You missed one !! Build a carport 😃

I am completely stating the obvious here and I am sure you have thought of both of these if it’s possible, but could the garage door be adjusted. From on the inside wall of garage so it gave a bit more height, or the concrete floor be broken out and a slant downwards be added again to give an extra inch or so.

My partner says that an extra inch can make all the difference…..I didn’t know she knew much about garage doors !! 🤔

Gaffer

Production/Transit
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
There is often a horizontal strut at the base of the garage door. This can be lower the clearance by a couple of inches. However I believe that it can be safely moved higher on the same panel. It is likely we will do this.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Also, with the garage door raised, check how much clearance you have between the door and the ceiling. This will give an indication if a taller garage door will fit (note you may need 8-inches for the header). For example, my garage has 8 foot doors and 12 foot ceiling, so I could install 10ft. doors.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There is often a horizontal strut at the base of the garage door. This can be lower the clearance by a couple of inches. However I believe that it can be safely moved higher on the same panel. It is likely we will do this.
If the garage door is a bit low and the limiting factor and not the garage door opening, it may be possible to
simply adjust the stops on the opener rail so it opens a bit more and or shorten the garage door opener arm and or move the garage door opener back another inch or so. DaBull

Back
Top Bottom