The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

4x4 self drive guided African Safari

tartan shepherd

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
3:42 PM
Reaction score
The Grenadier Namibia videos looked an amazing option for a holiday.
I’m not really much of a holiday person but the thought of off roading, camping and opportunity to see such wildlife is just what could tempt me.

Has anyone done something similar? Self drive but guided in a small group? Any recommendations?

Thanks

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
4:42 PM
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I requested a quote for car transport from Germany to South Africa. My idea was to drive through ZA/Namibia with our Grenadier.

One way: 2650€ + 850€ aux costs, all inclusive no extra costs. But not by container, just RoRo. Two way is thus around 7000 Euros. Not including fuel, food and accommodoation. Let alone tickets for this and that.

All in all too expensive. For the money, I can explore entire south Europe or UK, the Highlands and Scandinavia.
And driving with a rental car is not an option for me.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
8:42 AM
Reaction score
You could ship the Grenadier to SA and drive it back?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I am lacking two things to do so:

- Experience. Self driving such a long distance through many African countries is for sure not for beginners. It's not harmless (from a political point of view), and would require some real expedtion skills and equipment. I am old, but I'm not stupid. 😉
- Time: that is (at least) a 15'000 km trip, 10'000 of which are likely pure off road or at least off tar. If you manage to cover 170 km per day (as an average), it will take you about three months to get home, without repairs, extra time for bad weather and authority problems (border crossings, visa, customs etc.). A challenging idea, but reality quickly overtakes naive daydreams from the living room.

And from some friends which flew to the Serengeti with their Cessnas, Pipers ... I know, that each of them had $10'000 cash money with them for "baksheesh" of all kind. So money is for that idea a not to neglect factor as well.

Last edited:

tartan shepherd

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score

- Experience. Self driving such a long distance through many African countries is for sure not for beginners. It's not harmless (from a political point of view), and would require some real expedtion skills and equipment. I am old, but I'm not stupid. 😉
- Time: that is (at least) a 15'000 km trip, 10'000 of which are likely pure off road or at least off tar. If you manage to cover 170 km per day (as an average), it will take you about three months to get home, without repairs, extra time for bad weather and authority problems (border crossings, visa, customs etc.). A challenging idea, but reality quickly overtakes naive daydreams from the living room.

And from some friends which flew to the Serengeti with their Cessnas, Pipers ... I know, that each of them had $10'000 cash money with them for "baksheesh" of all kind. So money is for that idea a not to neglect factor as well.
I'm not interested in doing it in my own vehicle. Fly into country, drive an organised/fleet/hire vehicle on an organised and guided tour with back-up. I want it to be enjoyable and relatively stress free.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Why not? If that's you'r idea, it's the right thing to do.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve done a few self drive safaris and was in Namibia as covid hit in 2020. If you’re going for a few months it’s worth shipping your own vehicle Southern Africa is easy to do self guided self drive tours. Shipping a kitted out vehicle via ro-ro is a big risk.
we shared a container both ways with other people. Two Landrovers in a 40’ high cube container. Relatively easy to do but you need to be fully self sufficient if you strike out on your own.
or you could drive through Spain and catch a ferry from Algeciras to Tangier Med in Morocco then drive down through west Africa , as we did in 2019. 10,000 mile round trip from UK to southern Guinea and back via Guinea Bissau , Senegal, Gambia , Mauritania. West African countries tend to be a bit harder to travel in than Southern Africa, bad roads and corrupt officials!
We plan to Ship our Grenadier to South Africa next autumn, as long as our March/April delivery date comes to fruition
happy travelling 😎

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Valuable insights!
Which shipping company do you have in mind? My quote was from Caravan Shippers.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
We did every thing through African Overlanders based just outside Stellenboch . At the time £2000 each way although I imagine rates have gone up a bit. We shipped December 2019 for three month Jan to March tour. All very easy.
the guy who runs it is called Duncan Johnson ( African Overlanders) this end we loaded at Port of London Tilbury and the other end they sort everything and store you’re vehicle for arrival. Of course you need a carnet to ship into SA

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
By the way my Swiss friend who is 72 has returned this year having driven from Switzerland to Cape Town then back up to Tanzania. and finally back across to Namibia to ship the vehicle home. 70 years old at the start of the journey ,on his own and in a discovery td5. Anyone can do it. You just need the will. Just do it 👍

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Loading at Port of London

Attachments

• D6F2DFB1-87B5-4ABE-A042-9C0A1CB04749.jpeg
    D6F2DFB1-87B5-4ABE-A042-9C0A1CB04749.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 412C309D-70C0-4558-8982-40DB3C2A382C.jpeg
    412C309D-70C0-4558-8982-40DB3C2A382C.jpeg
    898.8 KB · Views: 17

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
> By the way my Swiss friend who is 72 has returned this year having driven from Switzerland to Cape Town then back up to Tanzania. and finally back across to Namibia to ship the vehicle home. 70 years old at the start of the journey ,on his own and in a discovery td5. Anyone can do it. You just need the will. Just do it

Perhaps he has already gained experience before that which I still lack. I'd rather try to overestimate the problems than overestimate my abilities.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom