The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Power steering loss

nickelnoff

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:41 PM
Reaction score
I feel sorry for them, having this occur with a new vehicle.
Considering the relatively small number of these actually being driven compared to other vehicles globally, does anyone here know a person who has a proper 4X4 less than a few years old that has had steering failure? I sure have not... looking forward to getting mine still but I will be very weary of these problems. Only positive thoughts here!
Yeah gutted 🙁
Heading home after 4 days in to a 14 day break.
Ineos Recovery (AA) experience has been disjointed and confusing.
Seems that 3 days off-roading broke the Grenadier. Feeling a bit stupid to honest to have gone down this IG route.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:41 PM
Reaction score
That sounds very symptomatic. Did the switch out of the pump take a long time?
The pump failure happened on a Friday got diagnosed on the following Monday and replaced the following Friday ,so a week all in all. But I was pressing hard as had a shipping schedule to meet.
I feel real sorry for you breaking down whilst on holiday 😕

Vote:
Upvote 0

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah gutted 🙁
Seems that 3 days off-roading broke the Grenadier. Feeling a bit stupid to honest to have gone down this IG route.
My recovery experience wasn’t great either. I wasn’t impressed by the service of the AA at all although the staff on the ground were great.
Trying to arrange the complimentary hire car through the AA cover was a lost cause also.
I must admit after the third breakdown for the same power steering problem I was beginning to feel the same as you , thinking why did I buy this vehicle. Hopefully the issue is sorted now for good as I it’s a great vehicle otherwise.

Reactions: PBD
Vote:
Upvote 0

nickelnoff

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My recovery experience wasn’t great either. I wasn’t impressed by the service of the AA at all although the staff on the ground were great.
Trying to arrange the complimentary hire car through the AA cover was a lost cause also.
I must admit after the third breakdown for the same power steering problem I was beginning to feel the same as you , thinking why did I buy this vehicle. Hopefully the issue is sorted now for good as I it’s a great vehicle otherwise.
Thanks @Logsplitter - Yes, It "seems" to be a great vehicle however we're experiencing some serious trust issues since plans for a vehicle are long term going further afield.

Power steering pump issues aside electronics seem over engineered for a back to basics approach. Sure firmware updates will come but the software design is now set and only bugs can/will be addressed.

Interestingly following a battery disconnect/reconnect front and rear diff lock buttons are flashing and diffs are showing as engaged (IG is in unlocked High gearing).

Vote:
Upvote 0

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
With these two cases did it fail whilst on the move or on startup?

Vote:
Upvote 0

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks @Logsplitter - Yes, It "seems" to be a great vehicle however we're experiencing some serious trust issues since plans for a vehicle are long term going further afield.

Power steering pump issues aside electronics seem over engineered for a back to basics approach. Sure firmware updates will come but the software design is now set and only bugs can/will be addressed.

Interestingly following a battery disconnect/reconnect front and rear diff lock buttons are flashing and diffs are showing as engaged (IG is in unlocked High gearing).
Seems that’s normal after a battery disconnect.
Here is the reply I got when I inquired about disconnecting the battery for shipping
“No special procedure for this, just disconnect the earth cable and then reconnect when required. It may put the eml light on but should clear itself after a few drive cycles. Also the front and rear diff lock buttons, abs and esc lights may well also come on but will reset after a very short drive.”

Vote:
Upvote 0

nickelnoff

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not good. Definitely dangerous. Still that’s only two vehicles that we know of out of maybe 4000?
I'm not sure that a quick current count up is how a decision is made on the potential scale of a problem.

Vote:
Upvote 0

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Beside hidden and visible errors and flaws...I asked myself which QS manager signed that off? Who allows that a car with so much obvious flaws is send out to the customer? Even if they are only annoying, but there were reasons why they stood for weeks at the dealers. The steering issue might be something which didn't pop up during testing. But all the rest?

From my point of view that could only happen by an order.

AWo

Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not sure that a quick current count up is how a decision is made on the potential scale of a problem.
Takata Airbags anyone??? The inherent danger of this type of fault is simply not acceptable.

Vote:
Upvote 0

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah gutted 🙁
Ah that sucks - trip ruined. That is really disappointing. I hope, it's a single flaw in your vehicle and replacement is a better-quality part.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:41 AM
Reaction score
Takata Airbags anyone??? The inherent danger of this type of fault is simply not acceptable.
I agree with your Trobex (probably for the first time :D).
At least we know INEOS frequent this forum and know that we wont be putting up with this kind of crap.

Vote:
Upvote 0

nickelnoff

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I agree with your Trobex (probably for the first time :D).
At least we know INEOS frequent this forum and know that we wont be putting up with this kind of crap.
To be honest no one from Ineos has checked on what is going on. Silent observers at best. No proactivity from Ineos' part as far as I'm concerned just a palm off to the Ineos Service (aka AA) who have no procedure to follow for recovery.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
To be honest no one from Ineos has checked on what is going on. Silent observers at best. No proactivity from Ineos' part as far as I'm concerned just a palm off to the Ineos Service (aka AA) who have no procedure to follow for recovery.
I hope someone from Ineos is reading this , they’re sure need to and get a grip of this Issue.

Vote:
Upvote 0

nickelnoff

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I hope someone from Ineos is reading this , they’re sure need to and get a grip of this Issue.
Yeah, I sure would like to be ending the week sharing some positive news that Ineos pulled through and are actually able to get customers back on the road when needed.

Vote:
Upvote 0

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hopefully the issue is sorted now for good

I hope, it's a single flaw in your vehicle and replacement is a better-quality part.

There's a lot of hoping going on.

Swapping out a failed unit for another, possibly from the same batch isn't confidence inspiring for me. I'd rather Ineos shared the root cause analysis with the owners and they could come to a judgement on whether the replacement parts are subject to the same issues.

Vote:
Upvote 0

nickelnoff

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just to wrap this one up. Been back on the road since yesterday. Ineos + Hedin came through with and provided the necessary support including a replacement Grenadier delivered to us.
👍👍👍

Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom