The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steering and Poor Stability

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
2:20 PM
Reaction score
Each of the Grenadier's driveshafts has two CV joints in it. Jeep has been using this design for a long time now.

But not in any Jeep I've owned. I see the value but I wonder (along with others here) why the double cardan at the swivels?

Local time
5:20 PM
Reaction score
But not in any Jeep I've owned. I see the value but I wonder (along with others here) why the double cardan at the swivels?
Yea, that was one of those design choices I was surprised to see, but didn't figure it made any real difference. Perhaps that's the reason they set the steering stops so far out.

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not sure - you mean CV joint in the axleshafts? I don't think I ever saw double-cardan joint in the swivels.
CVs at both ends of the driveshafts are awesome. Maybe they need a bit more maintenance or care, but they [should] solve all driveline vibration issues.
About the Jeeps - JK-JL Wranglers have them. I've seen several torn apart on Rubicon in two days - but likely due to drivers being very throttle-happy and using giant tires without diff gearing change.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Yea, that was one of those design choices I was surprised to see, but didn't figure it made any real difference. Perhaps that's the reason they set the steering stops so far out.

My thinking as well.

Not sure - you mean CV joint in the axleshafts? I don't think I ever saw double-cardan joint in the swivels.

Yes, in the front axleshafts. I saw them in the demo vehicles but I've never checked again to see if there was a change for production models.

CVs at both ends of the driveshafts are awesome. Maybe they need a bit more maintenance or care, but they [should] solve all driveline vibration issues.

All the years of sweating driveline angles now straight out the window :ROFLMAO:

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
All the years of sweating driveline angles now straight out the window :ROFLMAO:
Honestly, I don't know why Tom Woods still offers double-cardan driveshafts. I'd still buy one if I didn't have a CV option - still may buy one for the LWB Classic to replace the garbage single-U-jointed rear driveshaft from BPUtah, but just for the lack of a proper CV option.
Check this: https://4xshaft.com/collections/jeep-wrangler-jl-products
"Our model solves all your torn CV boot problems and includes the required output yoke for the transfer case at no extra cost. "
Torn CV boot problems? One shouldn't be using driveshafts as rock sliders.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't know why Tom Woods still offers double-cardan driveshafts. I'd still buy one if I didn't have a CV option - still may buy one for the LWB Classic to replace the garbage single-U-jointed rear driveshaft from BPUtah, but just for the lack of a proper CV option.
Check this: https://4xshaft.com/collections/jeep-wrangler-jl-products
"Our model solves all your torn CV boot problems and includes the required output yoke for the transfer case at no extra cost. "
Torn CV boot problems? One shouldn't be using driveshafts as rock sliders.

I've had Woods do a few driveshafts in years past before he became a big name. Still have a 3.5" heavy wall long spline between a 205 and a 14 bolt. Definitely quality equipment. Back then he'd pick up the phone himself.

I'm looking forward to having the CVs in the Grenadier.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:20 PM
Reaction score
I haven’t got into this thread to any detail as yet. I need to study the setup further but, in the meantime. Have any of these components as fitted failed as yet?

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:20 AM
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom