The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Had to have vehicle towed today - editing title - found out not Ineos' fault!

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:05 PM
Reaction score
Well, don't cancel your order based on my situation.... this is going to be a very embarrassing post :rolleyes:

Since the keyhole is hard to see, I placed a ring around the outer edge, like you can find on amazon that go around typical start stop buttons as our key outer opening is the same size . I added it this past Thursday evening and it would not start Friday morning. Apparently by the addition around the key hole, the key could not go all of the way in in order for it to make contact enough to start the vehicle. Guessing the first time it started with the new ring on and jumping it, it was purely by chance that the key made the connection . I have not yet seen my car in person after this to really take a look at it, but it must be a minute amount of distance it is off as the car electrical all came on and I could turn the key fully, it just would not turn over. None of us caught it during the attempts to jump it (and believe it or not, I actually am mechanically inclined, but apparently not last week). I have been told I get the double dumba** award for this one (I agree!)

Power steering error came on during the jump process with road side assistance. Turns out the fuse is blown.... It is not a standard fuse and needs to come from europe so could take a week.

Moral of the story - Ineos does not work with a generic key ring that goes around a standard start stop button!
Your thought of placing a luminescent ring around the engine keyhole was not wrong. Another Forum member did it months (last yr) ago , posted photos etc and reported no issues. Do agree Ineos could have supplied some simple lite ring around the keyhole - simple and "purposeful"!
Thank you for sharing!
Cheers!

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:05 PM
Reaction score
Thanks! Believe all should be fine. Looking forward to getting it back!!! A bit embarrassed and definitely laughing about it (and FAR better than having a lemon)
I would like to congratulate you for your honesty. Everybody makes mistakes, this isn't a shame. Shame is ... not admitting it. Thanks for sharing :)

bikesandguitars

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
3:05 PM
Reaction score
What a funny outcome! I had a high mileage 2000 Lexu LX470 that, for the first time ever, left me stranded. It wouldn’t do a thing when the key turned. I had it towed to a Toyota dealership and expected a giant repair bill thinking I had some catastrophic failure.

The dealership called me thirty minutes later and said, “Your car’s done. Pick it up anytime.” I asked how they fixed it so fast. The Toyota person said, “Your key was worn out. We made a new key.” 🤣🤣🤣

The little things matter!

Efatl

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I would like to congratulate you for your honesty. Everybody makes mistakes, this isn't a shame. Shame is ... not admitting it. Thanks for sharing :)
Thank you....I love my vehicle (as most of us do in the forum). I was definitely concerned on Friday when it would not start.... After finding all of this out, I couldn't let anyone think it was an Ineos issue. It's a good thing I have a good sense of humor about how I caused it!

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well, don't cancel your order based on my situation.... this is going to be a very embarrassing post :rolleyes:

Since the keyhole is hard to see, I placed a ring around the outer edge, like you can find on amazon that go around typical start stop buttons as our key outer opening is the same size .

Moral of the story - Ineos does not work with a generic key ring that goes around a standard start stop button!

I applaud your coming back and letting us know. Enjoy your many miles to come!

Efatl

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Hope it’s been long enough you can have a chuckle at that, because it’s a good story - and you’ve probably managed to save several of us from doing the same.
Oh, I have had LOTS of good laughs over this. Couldn't resist telling some friends ... likely still more to come 🤦🏼‍♀️🤣 I'm sure the service department at the dealership had quite a few too!

dradtke

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
We live 700km from the dealer in Toronto. With so many reports of problems that result in disabled vehicles
I’m seriously considering cancelling my order. Roadside assistance only covers towing to 300 km.
I live close to the Toronto dealer.Took delivery April 10 of my Fieldmaster.Was concerned about previously reported issues.2000 km on now.Not a single issue.Runs great.Love it.

CRH

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:05 PM
Reaction score
Sounds like we should start a thread of 'I've had no problems with my Grenadier-buy one as they are reliable', sadly I won't be able to add mine, but still very pleased with it.

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:05 PM
Reaction score
We live 700km from the dealer in Toronto. With so many reports of problems that result in disabled vehicles
I’m seriously considering cancelling my order. Roadside assistance only covers towing to 300 km.
There is clearly a risk on being an early adopter for any product and the Grenadier is no different. I am holding back any judgement on the vehicle until I find out what happened to it in Mexico as it would not be a Grenadier problem if I picked up water in my gas for example. Sure I am not thrilled having to pay for shipping the truck from the tip of Baja to San Diego, extra plane flights home and back to pick it up etc. and that could well be a major financial burden for many people, something that has to be taken into account.

As I mentioned in my "why I bought it" video on YT I broke a lot of my car buying rules buying this vehicle because I felt it was an extremely compelling package and only time will tell if I made (imho) a good or bad decision.

rur42

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
2:05 PM
Reaction score

Since the keyhole is hard to see, I placed a ring around the outer edge, like you can find on amazon that go around typical start stop buttons as our key outer opening is the same size . I added it this past Thursday evening and it would not start Friday morning. Apparently by the addition around the key hole, the key could not go all of the way in in order for it to make contact enough to start the vehicle. Guessing the first time it started with the new ring on and jumping it, it was purely by chance that the key made the connection . I have not yet seen my car in person after this to really take a look at it, but it must be a minute amount of distance it is off as the car electrical all came on and I could turn the key fully, it just would not turn over. None of us caught it during the attempts to jump it (and believe it or not, I actually am mechanically inclined, but apparently not last week). I have been told I get the double dumba** award for this one (I agree!)

Power steering error came on during the jump process with road side assistance. Turns out the fuse is blown.... It is not a standard fuse and needs to come from europe so could take a week.

Ok, thats strange… I ‘m not all that familiar with vehicle tumblers, but typically if a key turns everything should work, I don’t see how not fully seating the key would only give you partial functionality, such as not engaging the starter motor. But, whatever… as long as it’s fixed.

Another possible cause would be the immobilizer. Not fully seating the key could cause the RFID reader to fail, they can be pretty sensitive. I have no idea how the Grenadier’s immobilizer works, so this may not be relevant.. but I’ve had problems before with a slight change in key geometry (new plastic case) causing the RFID reader to fail.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:05 PM
Reaction score

Hi Efatl, I found the same thing out about placing a ring around the outer edge of the key opening. It won't let the key be inserted far enough to work. So I came up with another solution to put a stainless steel washer inside the inner key opening. See the link below that includes photos. @Jean Mercier posted afterwards that using a polished copper washer that was sprayed with a clear lacquer might look nice and even be more visable. Either way it's helpful except when it is pitch black out. DaBull
https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/wheres-the-key-slot.12415328/

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:05 AM
Reaction score
Ok ok, now that we are truly being honest about things... whilst travelling outback last year towing a van I departed a camp.. had it in low range to get me up a steep incline. Stopped and put back into high - all good. Got to 30klm/h and a very loud and incessant bong bong bong alarm started... crikey, what have I done I thought? I slowed down and it went away, up to 30k and alarm again - just like overspeed warning. I thought it's another software issue although I had the 1946 update that basically fixed all that. Checked everything, stopped and restarted number of times but no solution. I had intermittent mobile reception that dropped in and out but eventually spoke with my dealer some 1500klms away who was right on to it. I drove on with alarm sounding whilst my dealer was finding a solution, my good wife not amused... mobile reception dropping in and out. Dealer had me send video with alarm in background when I could. Dealer contacted support here is Aus and then Ineos HQ but no luck with further suggestions. Then I said to my wife after an hour or so many loud bong bong bongs.. 'can you really try and track down where it's coming from'. Then it clicked... the Wolfbox rear view mirror has a speed alarm feature and I was messing around with it the night before... (which is another story linked to the PWR overhead switch that when 'on' seems to power up lots of other stuff and in turn drains the starter battery if left on a few days) anyway, sure enough I had set a 30klm/h overspeed alarm in the Wolfbox mirror... Faaaaaaar*k or words to that effect I said, out of mobile range and not able to call dealer... eventually I did and dealer was at least very polite on the phone to me but perhaps not amused. Made sure I sent a box of beer to my dealer for all the trouble I'd caused.... but what a fantastic vehicle it is and has certainly met or exceeded all my expectations. :)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:05 AM
Reaction score
@bakepl that can be filed with the other cases of " and what was the last thing you fiddled with?" easy solutions box 😁
We've all got stuff in that box 😊

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was thinking of installing a tiny accent light on the side of the steering column and aimed at the ignition switch. Have it come on with the interior light as door is opened, closed, etc.

CRH

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I was thinking of installing a tiny accent light on the side of the steering column and aimed at the ignition switch. Have it come on with the interior light as door is opened, closed, etc.
I just lean in and put the key in before I get in the, it's so easy to see as it's just the right height

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I just lean in and put the key in before I get in the, it's so easy to see as it's just the right height
Currently, just use my forefinger which rests on the tip of the key. I can then guide the blade in quite easily.
Quite difficult to explain without a few childish giggles. 🤭

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:05 PM
Reaction score

Can you please take a pic of that fuse or describe where it’s located that needs to come from Europe? Any other fuses like that should be prepurchased and carried in the glove box. If you’re caught in the boonies and it blows (literally) that would be a horrible surprise to find out in the moment that the local auto parts store doesn’t have that kind available. Another “boobytrap” dammit?

Back
Top Bottom