The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Winding, grinding noise behind dashboard

Sonei

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:43 AM
Reaction score
Hi.
I have a winding, grinding noise behind the dashboard in the steering wheel area. The noise starts approximately after 15 minutes of driving. The other day, after laying on my horn, the noise started up. Maybe a steering damper issue?
I feel as though aggressively moving the steering wheel left and right while driving affects the noise. The noise ceases when at a full stop.
I do have a service appointment in a few weeks but figured I would throw this info out there for some possible insight.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi.
I have a winding, grinding noise behind the dashboard in the steering wheel area. The noise starts approximately after 15 minutes of driving. The other day, after laying on my horn, the noise started up. Maybe a steering damper issue?
I feel as though aggressively moving the steering wheel left and right while driving affects the noise. The noise ceases when at a full stop.
I do have a service appointment in a few weeks but figured I would throw this info out there for some possible insight.
Hi Sonei, I think others have posted that this is either a worn/defective bearing in the steering unit or perhaps the electric steering unit is defective. DaBull

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:43 PM
Reaction score

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:43 AM
Reaction score
What is "the electric steering unit" ?

Isn't steering supported hydraulically?

🤔 🤷‍♂️
The power steering fluid would tend to support that theory ;)
One cause of grinding noise is a bad SW centre bearing. I believe a few of these have required replacement.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What is "the electric steering unit" ?

Isn't steering supported hydraulically?

🤔 🤷‍♂️
Hi emax, I think the steering unit is powered by electric vs belt driven and the electric motor powers a hydraulic fluid pump. Not an expert. Anyone else want to weigh in.
DaBull

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi emax, I think the steering unit is powered by electric vs belt driven and the electric motor powers a hydraulic fluid pump. Not an expert. Anyone else want to weigh in.
DaBull
That's correct. It's an electric motor operating a remote mounted pump. It's the source of the whistling sound that some owners have reported. Load up the steering with the engine operating and the vehicle stationary and you can hear the pump operating.

On my RHD vehicle the pump and motor are located above the left side frame rail just behind the left headlight. Visible in this pic taken from below (green decal is on the motor housing). Left of this pic is front of the vehicle.

Attachments

• PXL_20230730_013844462.jpg
    PXL_20230730_013844462.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 32

pieter1475

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Hi.
If it was like my noise, (a chinkling sort of noise) , if you have a snorkel it could be the wind flowing past the top 5"or so. Our mechanic found the cause in my car. Push some foam into gap and see what happens. It fixed mine. I improved my foam placement to a more permanent fitting.

Back
Top Bottom