The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What do you do for a living?

Local time
5:44 AM
Reaction score
True, it doesn’t pay well. But at least eaving at strangers means luck. Only if you’re not superstitious, though.
Eaving is a talent I do not have. My brother is great at it though. Lucky bastard.

Local time
2:44 PM
Reaction score
Age 10 read the Elsa book of Joan Adamson in Budapest. Age 37 joined UNICEF, served in East and Southern Africa, East Asia, Italy, New York. Bought 1968 CKD Series IIA in Kenya then a 2011 Defender which I used also in Thailand. On 1 October 2021 put down a deposit for the Grenadier.

acwiltshire

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
8:44 AM
Reaction score
Amen brother. I have a ton of respect for people who are mechanically inclined and can work with their hands.

I spent 2 decades working in investment banking and then co-ran the private equity group for a very large asset manager. When COVID hit we retreated to Colorado and haven’t left. Trying to figure out what to do with the rest of my life.

Open to suggestions 🙂
Order the car.
Do one day a week for charity - it gives back to you more than you give
The rest works out .

Wife and I did the maths at 55 and both retired.
Enjoy the car, being kind and the real friends you make thereafter are better than all those associates you ever had whilst working.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
2:44 PM
Reaction score
That doesn't even sound like a real job.
But there are other ways to spend your time in Germany.

Self-glueing-to-the-street for example. Although it doesn't make any sense, you at least have the chance to get a free TV-appearance.

And some even seem to consider this something professional.

Local time
5:44 AM
Reaction score
But there are other ways to spend your time in Germany.

Self-glueing-to-the-street for example. Although it doesn't make any sense, you at least have the chance to get a free TV-appearance.

And some even seem to consider this something professional.
You Germans have too much time on your hands.

Makers52129

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:44 AM
Reaction score
Welcome to the board. Interesting that this was your first post.
Hi Krabby. I started out in the corporate world tolerated that for 20 years at a mid and upper level management position. GLAD I’M OUT OF THAT! Then started an appliance repair business and never looked back. Business has been excellent and Covid was the best thing in the world for the service business. I am 65 years old, recently earned my private pilot’s certificate, bought a plan and now a Grenadier Fieldmaster and the wife and I are both retiring next year and going to enjoy life for awhile!!
Thanks for asking!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:44 PM
Reaction score
There is a difference between (real) "Germans" and "people living in Germany".
Yes.
I visited a friend who's village had been taken over by Turkish migrants.
It went from a small traditional German village to a busy town with a mosque over 10 years.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:44 PM
Reaction score
I used to work for the Ministry of Silly Walks. It was decent pay, but too much travel. After that I was a space travel agent. Great job with rocketing sales, but a bit too musky for me.

Various other jobs in my life. Professional handshaker, freelance gynecolgist. Chief Biscuit Dunker. Then I became an Iceburg Mover, Professional Mourner, VP of Idea Stalling, Under Secretary to the Sub-Committee, and more.

But man, I tell you, nothing like selling sea shells on the sea shore. Fresh air, long walks on the beach (some silly, you can't just turn off the years of training), beautiful sunsets.
RIGHT, so you're a comedian. Not half bad either. ;)

Chris Pomfrett

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:44 PM
Reaction score
I’m not sure if this thread will interest anyone, but I find peoples‘ careers and life’s professional journeys interesting. I’m not interested in your salary, corporate perks, bragging rights, or you simply trying to plug your own business, but what do you currently “do?” Or retired from? Or have done? I know @Stu_Barnes has lead an interesting life!

My Land Rover club is rather small but we’ve come from all different directions. We’ve helped one another out by sharing our various vocations and careers.

My path is a bit crooked. Made it through half an engineering degree but fell in love with journalism. Graduated with from Uni with a camera in hand and entered the newspaper and magazine business as a photojournalist. Shot for a few years, became an editor and department head and … burnt out by working too hard, for too little in a thankless, dying industry.

I managed to put all those math and engineering credits to use though, earning my teaching certificate and becoming a middle school (grades 6&7 so 12-13 YO) math teacher. I ultimately (and thankfully) escaped math and came full circle - I now teach photography and digital design to high school kids. I’m in my 20th year and can’t wait for summer!

So what about you?

Again, if you guys think this is lame, I’ll just can the thread. But we’re a true global community who’s diversity makes it great.
Hi Krabby,
Clinical scientist (UK HCPC 04680) currently in medtech consulting. Retiring soon. MedTech inventor 4 patents (depth of anaesthesia, natural anaesthetic, prion disease diagnostic, brain imaging based on impedance tomography). Worked for NiCE for 11 years. Lecturer in Neurophysiology applied to Anaesthesia at Manchester University 1994-2010. 2 previous Postdocs.
Worked briefly as a visiting Professor at University of California, Irvine using brain imaging to calibrate an invention.
Happy to keep learning.
Chris

AMan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:44 PM
Reaction score
I just turned 39 yesterday. Born and raised in Kenya. Left for university… Canada then the UK. Got my masters in strategy and then moved to London to work in consulting. Lived in Brazil, Australia, Spain… work related. Then packed up and moved to South Sudan… went from a suit to khakis, a hat and a weapon. Ran my business there for 7 years, through two wars. Got married to my childhood sweetheart in-between, had my first son four years ago and my second boy a year and a few months ago. We travel (as a family) frequently for work/leisure. Driven in dozens of countries… road-trips over flights in a heartbeat. I’ve waited patiently for my Grenadier since then, and when it arrived, something in me changed… for the better. Weird but wonderful.

Chris Pomfrett

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:44 PM
Reaction score
I once applied for an anaesthesia patent as well. It was cheap and effective.

But they didn't understad the concept - and finally found it to radical.
Does it hurt? Only if you get your thumbs in the way. Propofol induction /sevoflurane maintenance is my favourite as a patient. Chris

Back
Top Bottom