The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Well we can scratch the new Lexus GX (LC Prado) off our list.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:21 AM
Reaction score
Way worse approach, break over, and departure than the Grenadier. According to autoblog:

The approach angle is 26 degrees on all versions. Breakover is 23 degrees on all but the Overtrail, which hits 24 degrees. The departure angle is 21 degrees on the top Luxury GXs, 22 on Overtrail, and 23 on the base Premium trims.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:21 PM
Reaction score
There is no chance that would ever sell as a Lexus in Australia
Base model Toyota Prado maybe
You’re kidding aren’t you. Have you ever bought a Toyota?
Their modus operandi for a new model is to bring out the first year models with stuff all equipment based on what you’d expect, and then add the extra fruit in subsequent releases- Toyota are masters of “treat em mean, keep em keen”.

And American models have ALWAYS been higher specced than what we get here.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:21 AM
Reaction score
Watching that review (product promo!?) highlights how wonderfully utilitarian the Grenadier.

He complains that there is, regrettably, only 2 front seat lumbar support settings on this model - dammit!!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You’re kidding aren’t you. Have you ever bought a Toyota?
Their modus operandi for a new model is to bring out the first year models with stuff all equipment based on what you’d expect, and then add the extra fruit in subsequent releases- Toyota are masters of “treat em mean, keep em keen”.

And American models have ALWAYS been higher specced than what we get here.
Take a look at the Australian Lexus site and see if there is any vehicle as poorly specced as that available.
I had dinner last night with friends, one of which worked at Lexus for 20 years, she looked at that and said straight up there is no way it would be allowed in a Lexus showroom in Australia.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:21 AM
Reaction score
Take a look at the Australian Lexus site and see if there is any vehicle as poorly specced as that available.
I had dinner last night with friends, one of which worked at Lexus for 20 years, she looked at that and said straight up there is no way it would be allowed in a Lexus showroom in Australia.
I poked around and it looks like Lexus is definitely higher end for you, and there is more brand separation between them and Toyota down under. If this was marketed as a Prado do you think the reception would be more positive?

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:21 AM
Reaction score
I thought it was a pretty smart looking vehicle with lots of nice features. Some not so nice too though. Will be interesting to see what the price will be and if any will wonder that way. I am anxious to see the new Land Cruiser for the USA market however, it seems that it might have a 4 cylinder engine which would be crazy bad. If the Lexus was in the stores I would be looking at it.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I poked around and it looks like Lexus is definitely higher end for you, and there is more brand separation between them and Toyota down under. If this was marketed as a Prado do you think the reception would be more positive?
It looks like it will be coming to Australia as the new Toyota Prado , which will make it a good option
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph8xHuWqH28

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Regardless of the internal features it would come down to how robust it is to be honest.

I’ve had 2 prados (which I regularly broke) and 2 landcruisers (not 70 series) and the difference in overall strength capability and robustness is definitely evident imho.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:21 AM
Reaction score
Well, it looks like the Land Cruiser "Prado" model coming to the U.S. will actually have throwback styling: "'Toyota sources' reportedly told Drive that our future Land Cruiser will be styled after its forebears, specifically the 40 Series and 70 Series. It's tipped to feature circular headlights, though it's unclear how much will actually be changed from the regular Prado."

thedrive.com article link

Though not explicitly acknowledged, it looks like Toyota may be paying attention to the buzz the Grenadier is garnering. "The Land Cruiser will be positioned as a dedicated off-road model that directly challenges the Ford Bronco, Jeep Wrangler, and to a lesser degree the Land Rover Defender."

Though I still plan on placing a Grenadier pre-order, I will be watching Toyota with great interest. Competition is good and maybe, just maybe, this will help reduce dealer markups on the Grenadier.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:21 AM
Reaction score
I saw that yesterday too. I found a similar article on CarBuzz that included some renderings that look pretty good. They’re not from Toyota but are fantastic nonetheless.

CARBUZZ LINK

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:21 AM
Reaction score
Both the GX and proposed new LC have so much down-low plastic that neither vehicle appeals to me. I don’t see any true off-road value and there are so many nicer vehicles for on-road touring. It seems simply a marketing ploy to capture some of the Bronco boulevard/take-out driver segment.

Back
Top Bottom