The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Victron Energy SmartShunt IP65 500 amp Battery Monitor (Bluetooth) install

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:11 AM
Reaction score
So following on from the various discussions on batteries, which does what, etc, and photos of various BMS and calculations chiefly @das mo, @Lollo050968, @emax & @Jean Mercier in:

but also:

I'd decided to fit one of these, It arrived today.

Glad to see there's been no money wasted on the glitzy packaging:
IMG_20230824_133406669_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230824_133416285_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230824_133425599_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230824_133644998_HDR.jpg

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In trying to decide where to fit it @Arkaig noted an Oz installation had placed one here:
FB_IMG_1692875061221.jpg

but it looks like that is a slightly different version of the same shunt. I have the fully potted IP65 version, and either the base has wider fixing holes or they drilled it out to match the existing studs in the Grenadier. Mine just won't fit there without some fettling and if I did put it there, it would have poor line of sight to the LED indicators:
IMG_20230824_161002516_HDR.jpg

So I'm left looking for another space. I'd also like to keep it up off the floor, as any water ingress bound to pool in these areas and it's notable that Ineos have mounted all the electricial hardware (barring the batteries and cable runs) up on "stilts".
IMG_20230824_161239959_HDR.jpg

I've not made a final decision but a good contender for placement of the unit seems to be here, either making use of one or more of the existing holes or even drilling new ones:
IMG_20230824_161407297_HDR.jpg

I just have to consider the cables runs and see if everything is long enough.

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Xrford

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
12:11 AM
Reaction score
I would suggest to try to work a negative bus bar into your configuration to allow a convenient spot to ground your future accessories loads through the shunt

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I would suggest to try to work a negative bus bar into your configuration to allow a convenient spot to ground your future accessories loads through the shunt
👍 Yes that's a good shout, I've just been looking at some.

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:11 AM
Reaction score
In trying to decide where to fit it @Arkaig noted an Oz installation had placed one here:
View attachment 7824701

but it looks like that is a slightly different version of the same shunt. I have the fully potted IP65 version, and either the base has wider fixing holes or they drilled it out to match the existing studs in the Grenadier. Mine just won't fit there without some fettling and if I did put it there, it would have poor line of sight to the LED indicators:
View attachment 7824702

So I'm left looking for another space. I'd also like to keep it up off the floor, as any water ingress bound to pool in these areas and it's notable that Ineos have mounted all the electricial hardware (barring the batteries and cable runs) up on "stilts".
View attachment 7824703

I've not made a final decision but a good contender for placement of the unit seems to be here, either making use of one or more of the existing holes or even drilling new ones:
View attachment 7824704

I just have to consider the cables runs and see if everything is long enough.
Me noop asking basic question: what does the little magic box do?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:11 AM
Reaction score
Ooooooo I like the way you think @DCPU ! I've used these on all of my builds (for aux batteries) for years, but never felt the need to put it on the main battery (unless I'm mistaken by the photos and this is going on the aux battery). After building our Sprinter I have really fallen in love with Victron's gear, and at least some of their products will undoubtedly find their way to my Grenadier as well

Since you have the IP65 model, I wouldn't worry about any water ingress on the device itself, a buddy of mine has had the original (non IP65 rated) model under the hood of his 4Runner for several years and still (somehow) going strong!

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ooooooo I like the way you think @DCPU ! I've used these on all of my builds (for aux batteries) for years, but never felt the need to put it on the main battery (unless I'm mistaken by the photos and this is going on the aux battery). After building our Sprinter I have really fallen in love with Victron's gear, and at least some of their products will undoubtedly find their way to my Grenadier as well

Since you have the IP65 model, I wouldn't worry about any water ingress on the device itself, a buddy of mine has had the original (non IP65 rated) model under the hood of his 4Runner for several years and still (somehow) going strong!
Victron is top notch We have lots of their kit 👍🏼 for commercial and large scale domestic purposes.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ooooooo I like the way you think @DCPU ! I've used these on all of my builds (for aux batteries) for years, but never felt the need to put it on the main battery (unless I'm mistaken by the photos and this is going on the aux battery).
To be fair I'm jumping on other's coat tails.

Yes, this one is going on the auxiliary, but if it works out well then I wonder about one on the starter, especially for understanding the quiescent losses.

They do seen to have a strong fan base.

Definitely belt and braces with the IP65 model and then also wanting to place it off the floor.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:11 AM
Reaction score
Definitely belt and braces with the IP65 model and then also wanting to place it off the floor.
I had to look this one up, but will be adding it to my stock of common sayings from across the pond... Like bits'n'bobs, or faffing about

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Local time
Reaction score
These are great pictures and offer good detail and insight into the installation of a second IBS but I do question why ?

This all started when members noticed that the Aux battery wasn't charging and peaked when @das mo got 'stuck' in the middle of the woods with flat batteries.
INEOS have indstalled a BMW model IBS system on the main/starter battery.
This device is very similar to the Victron intelligent shunt that @DCPU is describing the installation of in this thread, but without Bluetooth.
The Smartpass controller that INOS have installed also seems to be installed at odds with logic in that the cars smart alternator isn't connected to it.
The BMW IBS provides battery status and data which is displayed on the main info screen, and likely to the ECU, to control the alternator.

There is an amount of confusion and lack of clarity which is not helped by the INEOS customer service dept who don't appear to have much of an idea either.

@DCPU you are obviously quite priveleged.
Other members have fitted battery monitors to both the main and aux batteries and are reporting the charge voltage and status of both batteries (as well as monitoring the alternators output across both batteries) which is recorderd in real time as well as offering graphical, historical data.
They have spent circa £40 and are providing a full gambit of data which will clearly identify the issue.
You have spent circa £120 on a device that offers ... what exactly ?

Will it provide more (helpful) information than the 2 monitors the likes af @Jean Mercier (and others) have ?
No is the plain answer.
It just costs 6 times the amount and is providing less than 1/2 the information.
And it's more complex to install.
If you don't have any off-line charging capability (solar etc) or critical power draining devices that require constant monitoring, why would you spend that much money - other than just because you can ?

The pictures are very pretty though.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
@Miki, this is by no means the same.

The Victron shunt provides current information that goes beyond simple voltage readings. The Voltage readings of the voltage monitors are even wrong while the battery is charged.

No point repeating what the above video already says way better than I could. But to put it simply, @DCPU has drawn the conclusion from the discussions here and bought a device that can do what the voltage monitors cannot. The Victron knows voltage AND current and can therefore calculate the actual SoC exactly, which the voltage monitors cannot do. These are really just guesses.

And the BMW IBS is useless as long as there is no OBD sniffer that can read, store and display the IBS readings.

Last edited:

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Will it provide more (helpful) information than the 2 monitors the likes af @Jean Mercier (and others) have ?
No is the plain answer.
Like @emax said, the plain answer is "yes": the Victron measures also current.

One of the other things I tried to find, is the datafile of my Chinese device, and, or I am not clever enough, or it really is concealed very well.

And don't forget, the Chinese device is sending a lot of information to China, this isn't a joke ...
https://doubleagent.net/2023/05/21/a-car-battery-monitor-tracking-your-location

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I blocked mine too. My Chinese gadget definitely shows me that the second battery is getting charge (I am using a 100W ham radio from it a lot) and it's constantly over 90% and usually 100%.

Back
Top Bottom