The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Utility belt staining

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:44 PM
Reaction score
From Facebook, someone took their Grenadier to a hand wash place and it has damaged the surface of their utility belt finish. Most on the thread suggest inappropriate use of TFR chemicals, but something to watch.

IMG_4107.jpeg

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:44 AM
Reaction score
Almost looks like spot rust... That's not good.

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
i dont think is spot rust, its jsut a stain on the aluminium anodizing from the car wash chemicals . in my book not an issue . had it on anodizing before some oil buffing usually takes care of it . ( and lets be honest if i woudl worry about something like this then maybe i should had bought a porsche . )

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:44 PM
Reaction score
From Facebook, someone took their Grenadier to a hand wash place and it has damaged the surface of their utility belt finish. Most on the thread suggest inappropriate use of TFR chemicals, but something to watch.

View attachment 7813849
That looks like the chemicals have had a reaction to the aluminium coating, one reason why i don't go through auto car washes. the detailer near me advises not to go to such places due to this very issue

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
i dont think is spot rust, its jsut a stain on the aluminium anodizing from the car wash chemicals . in my book not an issue . had it on anodizing before some oil buffing usually takes care of it . ( and lets be honest if i woudl worry about something like this then maybe i should had bought a porsche . )
Let's see what the answer is when they fix it. I'm going with oxidizing of the anodised finish and out will be hand stuffed add it looks like a window frame I saw recently which someone tried to clean with a CLR tow product (haha why on earth!). Just take it back to raw and go the real work ute look!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Not an unheard of issue with people using car washes. Alloy wheels in particular.
And those chemicals end up where?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I think one of the other photos shows the issue better:
View attachment 7813857
Caused by alkali. Bit of acid will fix it 🤪
Re washing , I did read that the paint on new cars should be allowed to harden for several weeks before washing, or risk scratches. Especially on black cars...

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:44 AM
Reaction score
My opinion: To long wheel cleaner, or other chemicals on the surface. less water for wash up. Or put directly on dry surface…. Most people use too much, and read not the instructions.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Re washing , I did read that the paint on new cars should be allowed to harden for several weeks before washing, or risk scratches. Especially on black cars...
The paint has had many, many weeks & months to harden while they sat in the batch & hold yards around Hambach and then the dealers yards waiting for various updates.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The paint has had many, many weeks & months to harden while they sat in the batch & hold yards around Hambach and then the dealers yards waiting for various updates.
Yes but that may not be the case from here in for euro cars.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:44 AM
Reaction score
Funny you! All cars that already have been delivered had more than six weeks to mature in the oak casks of Hambach or the dealers back yard 😀

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting some of this to keep dirt out when I'm not using them,

Can someone please measure how much you need for all outer rails and the luggage tie down ones (if i order I want enough for everything.

Rubbing strip LINK

e_33-1.jpg

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see it that's actually a good thing or not.

Firstly from a sense of actually staying in position at 166kmph; and secondly in terms of just holding moisture in.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve not got what you’ve got but I do have a similar stain on the hex screws holding the L track ..
Not my photos, or my vehicle ~ as suggested by others it looks to be user error; can't quite make out your issue. Can you take some in focus photos 😬

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:44 AM
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting some of this to keep dirt out when I'm not using them,

Can someone please measure how much you need for all outer rails and the luggage tie down ones (if i order I want enough for everything.

Rubbing strip LINK

e_33-1.jpg
Hi @joejet, for all rails outside 4.22 m and for the two rails in the boot 1.4 m, all without buffers.

Back
Top Bottom