The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

UP-hill assist error

AndrewW

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Forum Supporter
Local time
11:06 AM
Reaction score
Yep! You read it right. After total mirror failure for the third time - ten days no mirror movement on command - my sixth and last error message was “Uphill assist not available”.
Didn’t know I had it or how or why to invoke it! Does it mean the INEOS Gremlins have left the building and are no longer available when the BMW bhp proves insufficient? IMG_1204.jpeg

AndrewW

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That was after:-
1. “Gearbox error”
2. “STOP! - transmission failure” (in RED in the middle of the moors)
3. “Tyre pressure sensors lost” (they went out one by one like the “lights over Western Europe” and then came back.
4. Functioning mirrors stopped again
5. “ESC not available”
6. “TSA not available” whatever THAT is…
7. “Reduced braking performance” - BS that was; I tried…
8. “Downhill assist not available” at 40mph on the flat main road.
9. And finally the “Uphill assist not available”

Needs a frontal lobotomy at (the thankfully booked appointment tomorrow at) Skipton.

Fingers crossed 🤞

AndrewW

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For those who don't know, Uphill Assist is what is sometimes referred to as the Hill Hold function …

View attachment 7839089
Thank you! I knew that function was there - as was on my D4 and invoked daily where I live - but didn’t know that that was what they called it.

(I know I should have read the manual cover to cover but the health and safety warnings send me to sleep. It’s hard to find the facts for the pages of dire warnings. I only really want to know what’s different or unusual - to someone who has driven Land Rovers for 50 years. That’s my excuse…)

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
6:06 AM
Reaction score
Is there Up-Hill assist? I've experienced no hold on up hill starts. Can it be engaged while daily driving?
I have it on a couple cars. I think it is tied to the engine stoppage. I have a suspicion that if you use a macro to get around the stop start function, the auto braking for uphill assist stops working as well. but I don’t know, every time people are using a quick and dirty solution, it’s pretty common to have unintended consequences.
Certainly with auto start and stop, you do not want cars rolling backwards down every incline.

AwestinTX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:06 AM
Reaction score
I have it on a couple cars. I think it is tied to the engine stoppage. I have a suspicion that if you use a macro to get around the stop start function, the auto braking for uphill assist stops working as well. but I don’t know, every time people are using a quick and dirty solution, it’s pretty common to have unintended consequences.
Certainly with auto start and stop, you do not want cars rolling backwards down every incline.
I usually do turn off the auto S/S but I don't think there's hill assist if it's active or not. I've noticed quite a bit of rollback on a few occasions if you're a tad lazy from brake to accelerator. I'll experiment and report back.

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
8:06 PM
Reaction score

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
6:06 AM
Reaction score
Subaru introduced the anti backup hillascent feature a couple decades ago.
Specifically to address heel toe clutch slipping when starting up a hill from a light.
A pretty clever feature.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Subaru introduced the anti backup hillascent feature a couple decades ago.
Specifically to address heel toe clutch slipping when starting up a hill from a light.
A pretty clever feature.
I thought it was a standard feature on all automatics, functionality of the gearbox electronics

Back
Top Bottom