The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Toyota/Lexus Announcements

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:37 PM
Reaction score
Interesting that the month when IG orders go live for the US - Toyota announces the new Landcruiser returns to the US and Lexus announces the new GX Off Road variants. Sounds just a bit suspicious...

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting that the month when IG orders go live for the US - Toyota announces the new Landcruiser returns to the US and Lexus announces the new GX Off Road variants. Sounds just a bit suspicious...
Called marketing strategy

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:37 AM
Reaction score
Ya think???? Shame that they do not make the 300 series LC available in the US - that's the one everyone wants here

The GX is very nearly a 300 series; same engine/transmission, same wheelbase, nearly identical frame

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:37 AM
Reaction score
Seriously? You think Toyota was sitting on years of development and millions of dollars on the new models, waiting for IA to announce the Gren release date? lol. the Gren was supposed to be here last year. So Toyota held back? No way.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Seriously? You think Toyota was sitting on years of development and millions of dollars on the new models, waiting for IA to announce the Gren release date? lol. the Gren was supposed to be here last year. So Toyota held back? No way.
Seriously! Those Toyota folks pulled some parts off the shelf in a matter of 30 mins as a direct response to the IG - as a car company making 8M cars a year - IG would be a juggernaut with their 15K. More interesting topic with a conspiracy theory attached to it ;-). Now if Martians had invaded the US at the same time as the IG market launch - that would be a direct correlation.

Local time
Reaction score
The GX is very nearly a 300 series; same engine/transmission, same wheelbase, nearly identical frame
I looked at buying a GX a number of years ago. Although the engine & wheelbase may have been similar if not identical to the LC, the GX was not the LC. The price on the GX (at that time) was between $52-$55k. The Toyota LC was over $80k. Just think about that price discrepency: whatever makes the less luxurious nameplate $30k more expensive must have been substantial. If it wasn't the size of the SUV, then there must have been some ways to differentiate the LC based on all the parts surrounding the engine, and that must have been where the extra $30k Toyota wanted over the GX price. I didn't find the GX particularly appealing overall, and bought a LR instead. Much later, I did get a chance to test out a LC, and that was just awesome. I don't know what the mechanical differences are, but I doubt Toyota was pricing it $30k more than a GX for nothing😇.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I looked at buying a GX a number of years ago. Although the engine & wheelbase may have been similar if not identical to the LC, the GX was not the LC. The price on the GX (at that time) was between $52-$55k. The Toyota LC was over $80k. Just think about that price discrepency: whatever makes the less luxurious nameplate $30k more expensive must have been substantial. If it wasn't the size of the SUV, then there must have been some ways to differentiate the LC based on all the parts surrounding the engine, and that must have been where the extra $30k Toyota wanted over the GX price. I didn't find the GX particularly appealing overall, and bought a LR instead. Much later, I did get a chance to test out a LC, and that was just awesome. I don't know what the mechanical differences are, but I doubt Toyota was pricing it $30k more than a GX for nothing😇.
The previous generation GX (either a 460 or 470) was very similar to it's sibling 4Runner at the time. This has been shifted with the "current" GX550 (and new US "Land Cruiser") both share the same wheelbase as the LC300 (112.2" or 2850mm). This is the same wheelbase as the LC200 as well. In comparison to the GX460, the GX550 is an increase in 2.4" in wheelbase length and 5"+ in overall length.

In the previous GX460 generation it was powered by the 4.6L V8, where as the 200 series LC had the 5.7 from the Tundra (except mated to an 8spd in later years, compared to the Tundra's 6spd). While the RoW got both the Prado (GX) and Land Cruiser (200 series) in lower level trims, what we got in the US was only the premium, as it was realized back with the LX450 in the 90s that the US market was willing to pay for the premium models specifically.

The reason the LC200 was dropped from US Sales, yet the LX600 (300 series) was brought here was because there was virtually no "luxury" premium factor to push sales of the LX (both were North of $90k, and used 19-20 LC200s still sell for $90-100k). So to separate the luxury brand (Lexus), they discontinued the LC until 2024. The new Land Cruiser is on the same frame as the GX (thus why, in the rest of the world, it is now the LC Prado). And to keep the distinction between them, it has the 4cyl 4th gen Tacoma motor, while the GX550 has the twin turbo V6, with similar output to the Tundra, LC300, LX600.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom