The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Townsville FNQ drive day

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:34 AM
Reaction score
I noticed this as I was looking through old pictures.
2B foot rest on the left in right hand drive
latest picture of foot rest on the right in a left hand drive vehicle
Does it look significantly smaller

View attachment 7798595View attachment 7798596
Looks about right. I will find the German photo of their version LHD and it will show how the footrest was designed for LHD market.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Unfortunately the exhaust pipe goes down the right hand side of the engine which is what causes the problem on RHD
View attachment 7798601
Bugger - very unmodifiable. Sir Jim is a Brit - this got by him no doubt haha. Aftermarket mod will reduce height of rest by about 10mm... let's see what they deliver in 2023!!!

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:34 AM
Reaction score
If you get a chance please really look at the footrest.

I recently test drove at the Brisbane (well Tamborine really) track. The Grenadier in all respects is a great vehicle (prototype caveat of course!), it climbed the rock track easily and overall, I am impressed. Hence, I'll be keeping my order coming and I even made a few changes only this week (roo bar added!!!).

FOOTREST:
I will start this by explaining that I am stock average height at 177cm, 72kg roughly. So not a big fella really.
There is an ergonomic issue with the footrest in the test vehicle we drove - and I couldnt hide from it (sorry to those who state its 'ok' I will disagree). I was only able to find (1) actual seating position that was "generally" comfortable which was about 75% up on the height adjustment, and the seat back at about 80% of max offset to steering wheel. The left footrest sits about 80mm closer to your hip alignment than the throttle pedal... and that is simply poor design and in most seating positions it was uncomfortable to me. It's the same as my 2006 Triton Ute, where your left leg feels wedged against the center wall and there is no way I could find a position otherwise fitting than the higher seat + set back near max range ... (ill still keep my order rolling though!!!). I found pushing the throttle in this position a minor stretch, as the left leg felt good, but the right had to reach a longer distance to get the accelerator moving. I don't know how that will affect a 300+km drive but with my old Triton Ute as example - it will be an issue. I am stock height and slim in build, so I should be able to find 3 or 4 settings in a good seat to work with, but I tested this for 15+ minutes with a few on lookers and found no other seating position that worked. Aside from this footrest - the vehicle is very nice!
EDIT: Photos attached - the throttle is also about 1 inch behind the brake pedal in resting position, I caught my foot a few times trying to get from throttle to brake and that seems very odd to me. I don't think INEOS would release RHD in this format... the LHD have a footrest effectively in the same plane as the throttle. The engineer at the drive said they had relayed this concern to HQ...
Great, so now you have hijacked a drive in Townsville thread, with a massive post on the “broken record” foot rest. Can we stay on topic?

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What is the difference between a broken record and a footrest?
You 'jump' tracks with a broken record...you brace yourself with a footrest when tracking jumps in a 4wd?😜 in Townsville. ...

I was once in the employ of a US firm in the aerospace industry. (We had some egineers in Townsville but they didn't drive a Grenadier)
My boss was a slow talking Texan whom I admired for his no BS approach and his integrity. His oft quoted conclusion to a seemingly intractable situation was " there ain't no horse so dead that it " cain't" (his Texan pronunciation of can't to rhyme with 'ain't) be kicked s'more (some more)" ..😎

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Aside from my pre- Christmas levity, (consuming too much egg nog on my newly oiled deck) I sincerely hope the drive day in Townsville goes well and you get a decent stretch behind the wheel (no pun intended) :rolleyes:

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:34 AM
Reaction score
trobex-

I spent a lot of time looking at the RHD footrest during the Melbourne drive day.

Yes it is too big and yes it is about 40mm higher than the brake pedal which seems odd to me but driving it was was not really an issue for me (175cm).

The INEOS rep made 3 comments about the RHD footrest:

1. "I've driven more than 20,000km in the Grenadier and not thought it was a problem"
2. "anyway, there was no issue to make it smaller but it's actually been designed by an ergonomic expert"
3. "pull back the rubber flooring and see the gap between. I'm sure the aftermaket will have a solution for those that need it"
I had the same concerns and the rep pulled back the mat to reveal a small lump being covered by the larger ramp. I had no issue sitting in it but unfortunately didn't get to drive it

Local time
Reaction score
Anyone have any links for the Townsville drive day available please? The Grenader Events page ( https://grenadierevents.com/ ) has nothing listing at all.

It's a relatively short 5hr drive for me to get there, and the closest drive opportunity yet.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Anyone have any links for the Townsville drive day available please? The Grenader Events page ( https://grenadierevents.com/ ) has nothing listing at all.

It's a relatively short 5hr drive for me to get there, and the closest drive opportunity yet.
Anything like the previous days, you "might" get an email about a week or so beforehand if your email is registered. I didn't though, so you'll just have to keep an eye out on the events website. Check a couple of times a day would be my advice.

The OP said he got an email from his dealer just to gauge interest so I'd say it's still in the planning.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My advice is to email the FNQ dealer expressing your interest in the drive day and asking to be added to their list for an invite...:D (y)

Greg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
DenisM is right. Email Andrew Lloyd as he was trying to gauge interest and get some numbers.

Andrew Lloyd <andrew.lloyd@pickerings.com.au>
Re: Ineos Grenadier Drive Day

Bushguide

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
8:34 PM
Reaction score
DenisM is right. Email Andrew Lloyd as he was trying to gauge interest and get some numbers.

Andrew Lloyd <andrew.lloyd@pickerings.com.au>
Re: Ineos Grenadier Drive Day
Be aware IG don't have much experience up here in this part of the world, so they are still probably trying to figuring out how to get here.
Les Hiddins AM
Bush Tucker Man

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Be aware IG don't have much experience up here in this part of the world, so they are still probably trying to figuring out how to get here.
Les Hiddins AM
Bush Tucker Man
I am sure several members of the team have flown up there and gone to Port Douglas or similar to do some whale watching

Bushguide

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
8:34 PM
Reaction score
I am sure several members of the team have flown up there and gone to Port Douglas or similar to do some whale watching
I remember when I was a Kid way back when, Tiger Moth's from the Cairns Aero Club used to land on the beach at Port Douglas, and Pioneer Buses (now called Greyhound) used the beach also to give their passengers a buzz by driving up and down.

Back
Top Bottom