The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Q&A Americas Towing Package: What is its rating? And can we use a 2" receiver shackle adapter for towing a second vehicle?

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
4:54 AM
Reaction score
I have not seen a picture of the NA Class towing assembly. I "assume" we can adapt it for a receiver shackle adapter to safely attach a tow strap?
It would also be good to know the safe working load for this receiver! It "may" not be enough for use with a kinetic rope for "dynamic" recovery, so an actual specification would be good!
Obviously, a dynamic recovery with a kinetic rope will put higher loads on any recover point than simple non-dynamic recovery! I am thinking that perhaps it would be better to use a suitable rated bridle attached to the two rear recovery points (as you would if you were being the person "extracted" using a kinetic rope (front or rear!).

Sekurt

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:54 AM
Reaction score
Unfortunately my dealers 2 vehicles both are blanked for the tow package. It’s also strange on their Trialmaster because it has the high load wiring package but no NATO plug either. One of the specific things that I was looking for was the tow setup for NA. Guess I’ll just have to wait a few more weeks

Vote:

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The NA receiver is the same as the RoW receiver; it is purposely built to be compatible with any of the global towing adapters.

Since it is rated to tow 7,700lbs, it is just as safe to use for recoveries as any other hitch rated in a similar fashion.

Two attachment points are always better than one, but, at the end of the day, each recovery is different, and what you have available is what you're working with.

During the PTO2 tour I don't think we ever used a hitchlink or similar, always the OE recovery points, and never bothered with a bridle, even for some pretty substantial kinetic pulls and neither truck batted an eyelash over it

Vote:

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
The NA receiver is the same as the RoW receiver; it is purposely built to be compatible with any of the global towing adapters.

Since it is rated to tow 7,700lbs, it is just as safe to use for recoveries as any other hitch rated in a similar fashion.

Two attachment points are always better than one, but, at the end of the day, each recovery is different, and what you have available is what you're working with.

During the PTO2 tour I don't think we ever used a hitchlink or similar, always the OE recovery points, and never bothered with a bridle, even for some pretty substantial kinetic pulls and neither truck batted an eyelash over it
Did you just attach to one recovery point and do an "offline" pull?
If so, pretty poor technique! ;)

Vote:

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Did you just attach to one recovery point and do an "offline" pull?
If so, pretty poor technique! ;)
No need to bridle every pull, and you work with whatever you have. Textbooks are great, but is far from real world execution

Vote:

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
1:54 AM
Reaction score
I have not seen a picture of the NA Class towing assembly. I "assume" we can adapt it for a receiver shackle adapter to safely attach a tow strap?
It would also be good to know the safe working load for this receiver! It "may" not be enough for use with a kinetic rope for "dynamic" recovery, so an actual specification would be good!
Obviously, a dynamic recovery with a kinetic rope will put higher loads on any recover point than simple non-dynamic recovery! I am thinking that perhaps it would be better to use a suitable rated bridle attached to the two rear recovery points (as you would if you were being the person "extracted" using a kinetic rope (front or rear!).
I disagree. The elastic or 'kinetic' tow ropes do not demand more of your recovery points. I believe they require LESS, are safer, and make the job so much easier and smoother.

Vote:

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
I disagree. The elastic or 'kinetic' tow ropes do not demand more of your recovery points. I believe they require LESS, are safer, and make the job so much easier and smoother.
(my thoughts: you may disagree!) That depends on the impetus you put into the recovery. Many receivers are only rated for the expected towing. You may exceed them if your kinetic rope is subjected to the full weight of the vehicle you are recovering with and how badly the "stuck" vehicle is "stuck". Of course, if you are doing a "mild" recovery, you are correct....

Vote:

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
No need to bridle every pull, and you work with whatever you have. Textbooks are great, but is far from real world execution
Are you implying I got my "knowledge" from textbooks? And you have "superior" knowledge and experience? As for "working with what you have: correct. But better to be prepared than have to improvise.....

Vote:

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Are you implying I got my "knowledge" from textbooks? And you have "superior" knowledge and experience? As for "working with what you have: correct. But better to be prepared than have to improvise.....
Not at all, just saying that while multiple points of connection are a "perfect" scenario, it is rarely the actual case

Vote:

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
Not at all, just saying that while multiple points of connection are a "perfect" scenario, it is rarely the actual case
Ineos put two recovery points on both front and rear. If you expect to get stuck, why not be prepared to use both of them, rather than put all the pull on one? even if you do not have a bridle, a tree saver can be used (not ideal, as the strap will not allow the kinetic rope to slide to even the load in off-center pulls... If, s you say "it is rarely the case". maybe a little better preparation (or thought?) is needed ;)

Vote:

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ineos put two recovery points on both front and rear. If you expect to get stuck, why not be prepared to use both of them, rather than put all the pull on one? even if you do not have a bridle, a tree saver can be used (not ideal, as the strap will not allow the kinetic rope to slide to even the load in off-center pulls... If, s you say "it is rarely the case". maybe a little better preparation (or thought?) is needed ;)
We can happily agree to keep on keeping on with our own experiences and instances

Vote:
Back
Top Bottom