The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Towing on long grades?

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
1:02 PM
Reaction score
I will be Max towing up long grades (Rocky mt passes) with a Grenadier in 2024.

Do any of my friends currently towing (and braking) with a Grenadier have any engine/driveline data to share?

I want to know things like engine/trans temps, braking on descent, stability at highway speeds, etc. Oil consumption? Coolant losses?

TIA

ps. I just don’t want to blow it up, or smoke the trans, when we head up into the Rockies.

My normally aspirated GM 5.5l gasser (non turbo) cried out in pain for the entire ascent past Flagstaff, AZ. The engine was never the same after that ordeal.D4CA2A22-AB91-40B0-A354-50DF06CF17B3.jpeg

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:02 PM
Reaction score
Unfortunately my experience towing with the grenadier is only with the diesel, so I don't know how much help this will be, but I max tow with mine weekly (3.5ton).

Temperatures have shown relatively steady on inclines, with the engine being the only thing that climbs to over 100*c but only just, and very occasionally. Its also quick to drop down telling me the cooling system is quite efficient. Not Rocky mountain inclines I'm sure, but enough to cause lorries ( Semi's) something to seriously think about. Transmission and Transfer case temperatures stay nice and low, mainly due to the gearing i should think.

Stability is excellent, doesn't get bullied about by a trailer at all, and handles the trailer nose weight exceptionally for a coil sprung vehicle. Breaking is also very good. The Gren being a heavy lump really helps it here.

Attached is a picture taken the other morning, you can see she was sitting just under 60 in 8th gear at around 1600rpm with 3.5 ton behind, and I'd just crested a hill.
dash towing.jpg

bikesandguitars

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
11:02 AM
Reaction score
Stay in the right lane, don’t try to keep up with traffic and look ahead. Your engine should do fine. The big rigs sometimes slow to snail’s pace in the right lane on the mountain passes. Keep your distance from them. You might find regaining speed after getting stuck behind one of them to be futile.

All the numbers seem good for towing uphill. It’s the descent I’m a little concerned with. The lower gears seem kind of tall when I downshift. We shall see.

Back
Top Bottom