The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Thoughts on future changes to the IG platform

Local time
10:37 AM
Reaction score
As the IG evolves, one future upgrade/change there are two changes I would like to see considered. The first, and easier of the two, would be to make it possible to remove the doors as can be done on Jeeps and Broncos. The second, would require a significant change, would be the usage of aluminum for the body and doors. That might reduce the weight of the vehicle by a significant amount.

I would love to be able to also put 35inch tires under it to increase ground clearance. But think that would also require a significant change to the drivetrain and under carriage.
I have a loaner Wrangler now and LOVE it. It's the funnest second car I could imagine. However, I don't at all share the need to make Grenadier into a Wrangler/Bronco. The Bronco/Wrangler have great options for folks that want doors and roofs off. I test drove a Bronco and that too was really fun to drive. The roofless 4x4 is crowded enough & if you want that, buy it. On the other hand, what if you want a 4x4 with a solid roof for loading? ND is fitted with an impractical glass roof, as JLR is pretty much saying "FU" to folks that want to load a roof. For solid roofs, besides Grenadier, it's looking like the GX/LC platforms to sell in 2024. When you pitch for a ligher and break-away frame/shell, IMO you're completely missing one of the most salient, fundamental features that is truly unique about Grenadier: that solid box frame of galvanized steel, coated to inhibit rust, and sitting on a ladder frame. Reducing weight would mean some of that is comprimised - buy why? If it's just to make it light and airy for beach drive, buy a Wrangler! As for fitting bigger tires on the Grenadier, wait a second... isn't one of the benefits behind body-on-frame design the ability to let owners lift? If that's for you, super, but I've seen a Grenadier with KO2s and looks great. But I get it, it's not like what you can do to a Wrangler, but again, so what? If you want crazy big tires and no roof, that's Wrangler/Bronco already. Given the price discrepency already between the two, if all you want is a no door 4x4 with big tires, nothing Grenadier can do will bring the pricing down to comp. It's like asking Rolex to make a watch with a plastic wrist band just to bring the price down - go buy the Swatch & move on. On the other hand, Grenadier was tested in hot markets, and in New England it's going to need to be fitted with heated everything. It doesn't matter if some don't want it - the $ option for a "heat package" is standard for every car in NE - it's just the market & it can help not only sales, but resales. Also, Grenadier has yet to develop an internal NAV - that's an important item to add for the future. Folks that think "well, my Google maps are ok to be totally reliant upon..." just take a step back and ask yourself: how comfortable are you relying upon "big tech" for anthing that's not also in their own interests? Google maps is somehow benefitting Google, so a manufacturer controlled/developed NAV gives privacy, versatility, customization, and stored memory functions in a way that is vastly superior & desirable compared to "let's just let Google handle privacy and communciations; what can go wrong there?" 🙈 The last thing Grenadier can work on is the seats. Oh I know, everyone loved those Ricaro seats on videos. Blah, blah, blah.... having sat in a Genadier, it's not an impressive feature - the Grenadier is absolutely impressive, but the seats are tag-alongs. Did all those "experts" just conveniently miss how the Wrangler seat is designed to raise/lower by lever (manual)? Those fancy Ricaro get 2 of the 3 ways Wrangler seats can adjust, but only 2 of the 3, so there's clearly something Ricaro missed there.

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:37 AM
Reaction score
Fun to think about. My guess is even by my September build date there will be dozens of small changes based upon feedback, warranty work and more. My list;
1. Little more clearance for tires
2. Lower t/case gears and diff gear option
3. Sway bar disconnects( this one I think is most likely of the 3)
4. Solar charging plug, lets expand the power pack concept, because it is an awesome concept
5. More off road gizmo options
6. Better stereo upgrade option
7. Proper Factory Diff breathers

Last edited:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:37 AM
Reaction score
Heated front screen
More cabin storage space

That’s about it.
We had frost this morning and it got me thinking about a heated front screen (which I had in my Disco II). They're wonderful, but if the IG is so prone to chipping and cracking that's a much bigger bill than straight windshield glass. I ultimately needed two replacements in my DII because of cracks.

Back
Top Bottom