The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Thinking of driving from Denver to Boston?

angstorms

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
4:44 PM
Reaction score
From BMW how to break in there engine, note going 100 MPH is not issue on Grenadier, the X5 or M5 well that different story. But you have nicely broken in engine by the time you get part way to through the trip.

"Doing an engine break-in used to be a standard procedure with new cars. And it’s still the case that you should avoid running the engine at high RPM for the first 1,300 miles. Experts recommend a maximum 3,500 rpm and 90 mph in diesel models and 4,500 rpm and 100 mph in gas models. This will give the engine and transmission sufficient time to adjust to each other. Once you’ve reached the 1,300-mile mark, you can gradually increase your speed and your engine’s RPM. In particular, avoid to put too much strain on a cold engine. However, that’s true not just when breaking in a new car but for the whole life cycle of your car. Likewise, never turn off an engine that has been running hard. Allow it to cool down by driving a few miles at a gentle pace." https://www.bmw.com/en/automotive-life/break-in-a-new-car.html

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:44 PM
Reaction score
With the 8 speed transmission, I did not find high rpms to be a concern at highway speeds.

Denver to Chicago is the Ineos no man's land - there are no dealerships along the way. I had no issues, and still haven't at nearly 7000 miles since Dec 26.

Get AAA, have fun - enjoy the trip.

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I wouldn’t worry too much. Take it easy and bring a couple of Jerry cans of fuel just in case.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:44 AM
Reaction score
Thinking of buying one driving from Denver to Boston. Should I be concerned about a brand new car doing 2000 miles? Break-in
An opportunistic 3 week long trip (5,500km...3300+ miles) with a mix of motorway/ interstate highway/ secondary roads was exactly how I "ran in" my diesel Trialmaster. A leisurely first 1000km then gradually running occasional higher revs. I doubt it will be fully run-in/ loosened up until I get past the first 10, 000km (6,000 miles).
Enjoy your trip 👍

Icgreen3

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
From BMW how to break in there engine, note going 100 MPH is not issue on Grenadier, the X5 or M5 well that different story. But you have nicely broken in engine by the time you get part way to through the trip.

"Doing an engine break-in used to be a standard procedure with new cars. And it’s still the case that you should avoid running the engine at high RPM for the first 1,300 miles. Experts recommend a maximum 3,500 rpm and 90 mph in diesel models and 4,500 rpm and 100 mph in gas models. This will give the engine and transmission sufficient time to adjust to each other. Once you’ve reached the 1,300-mile mark, you can gradually increase your speed and your engine’s RPM. In particular, avoid to put too much strain on a cold engine. However, that’s true not just when breaking in a new car but for the whole life cycle of your car. Likewise, never turn off an engine that has been running hard. Allow it to cool down by driving a few miles at a gentle pace." https://www.bmw.com/en/automotive-life/break-in-a-new-car.html
Thanks so much for this.

Back
Top Bottom