The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

The first Land Rover and Sir Jim with Hammond in a Grenadier too!

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:04 AM
Reaction score
This has to get under LR skin. Imagine if Grenadier did an ad that showed Sir Jim getting in the first LR and then transition him to the Grenadier. Brillant

Last edited:

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:04 AM
Reaction score
It's a great story - Drivetribe just dropped it on YT. The first production LR S1 now restored and owned by Sir Jim and he drove it across Mongolia. Hammond sitting in an IG at the end and gushing is obviously a bonus.

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Oh, waiting for the Jeep supporters to comment on Hammond’s “the grandfather of all 4x4 comment” I think jeep deserves that one, even though personally I am a old defender + proper landrover supporter.

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:04 PM
Reaction score
Now that’s what I am talking about. I always said if you were going to give a Grenadier to any of the TG evil three it would be Hammond that would properly appreciate it. And for all his faults around Brexit it also proves that above everything else Sir Jim is a proper car guy. I cringed when they said restoration but that is how you recommission rather than restore a car like that. And all the real classic car guys I hang around with don’t hide their cars in museums they take them on adventures and let people see and appreciate them. Hats off to Sir Jim.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Oh, waiting for the Jeep supporters to comment on Hammond’s “the grandfather of all 4x4 comment” I think jeep deserves that one, even though personally I am a old defender + proper landrover supporter.
I think you can safely say the Landrover is the the grandfather of domestic/civilian 4 x 4's.
I think the Jeep CJ-3A or the Overlander truck might be considered the first Jeep civilian models with the CJ-2A being more of a "de-militarised" version of the war vehicle.
That would se them both come out at the same time, however Landrover was exported to the world and the Civilian Jeeps were not.
I really think it is fair to say they were both pioneers in a new civilian recreational genre.

1691355785943.png1691355978928.png

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Now that’s what I am talking about. I always said if you were going to give a Grenadier to any of the TG evil three it would be Hammond that would properly appreciate it. And for all his faults around Brexit it also proves that above everything else Sir Jim is a proper car guy. I cringed when they said restoration but that is how you recommission rather than restore a car like that. And all the real classic car guys I hang around with don’t hide their cars in museums they take them on adventures and let people see and appreciate them. Hats off to Sir Jim.
Best feel good video so far. Shows the passion, philosophy and resolve that helped create the Grenadier and made it the natural successor following the old Defender.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:04 AM
Reaction score
I think you can safely say the Landrover is the the grandfather of domestic/civilian 4 x 4's.
I think the Jeep CJ-3A or the Overlander truck might be considered the first Jeep civilian models with the CJ-2A being more of a "de-militarised" version of the war vehicle.
That would se them both come out at the same time, however Landrover was exported to the world and the Civilian Jeeps were not.
I really think it is fair to say they were both pioneers in a new civilian recreational genre.

View attachment 7822534View attachment 7822535
I believe the first 100 Landrovers were built on the chassis of jeeps that were stripped of their bodies. The Jeeps were some of the leftover's in England after WW11. So Jeep first, then the marriage of the two to birth Landrover and now we have their new cousin, Grenadier. Yes a cousin, because they share a lot of the same DNA. DaBull

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Wilkes used to drive a Jeep from his home in Warwickshire to his place in Anglesey. It was there, he outlined his vision using an old stick and scribing it into the sandy beach at Red Wharf Bay. Therefore, Jeep very definitely came well before the first Land Rover.

Reducs

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Supporter
Local time
6:04 AM
Reaction score
Finally got around to watching this. Fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
After watching this I now know what those huge skinny tyres on the roof of a Grenadier were for, that I questioned in another thread 👍🏼

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Wilkes used to drive a Jeep from his home in Warwickshire to his place in Anglesey. It was there, he outlined his vision using an old stick and scribing it into the sandy beach at Red Wharf Bay. Therefore, Jeep very definitely came well before the first Land Rover.
I nicked a stone from that bay when we were there in June.
Possibly the only one in Tasmania now 😁
I might keep it in the Gren as a talisman.

btw they used a Jeep chassis to build the pre prototype LR onto.
But fully boxing the LR chassis was pure genius.

Attachments

• 20230810_210118.jpg
    20230810_210118.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 15

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you need any more stones, let me know. Only an hour away from there. Did you visit the Secret Gardens, near by? They really are a treat too.

Reactions: PBD
Back
Top Bottom