The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Suspension & wheels Upgradability?

Local time
5:07 AM
Reaction score
Anyone know the final gear ratio, how big of tires can fit (functionally) without modification, if there is space to replace suspension with something with longer travel? In the U.S., the suspension travel is on the low end for something meant for offroad, and I'd love to know if one can lift the Grenadier about 4 inches and throw 35 inch tires on. I understand that such a lift would require replacing upper control arms at least... but is that even possible?... is it even possible to increase travel by replacing the bilsteins? Which bilsteins does it come with? When coming to the U.S., such modifications are highly desired. Thanks!

Local time
3:07 AM
Reaction score
They put 35's on a stock on and drove it across Africa and Iceland. Said they fit with "minor trimming." Aftermarket will come up with a lift kit, 4'' might be a little much imho, I think 2'' would be perfect if any. Coil over suspension and solid axel would be easy to replace but at 4'' you most likely need to start extending brake lines and get geometry corrected suspension 

Local time
10:07 AM
Reaction score
it appears Sir Jim’s prototype was lifted and had 35’s fitted for his overland trip in Africa. That’s the frustration of why they would not I cude this as an optional extra with the correct gearing to suit.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:07 PM
Reaction score
They put 35's on a stock on and drove it across Africa and Iceland. Said they fit with "minor trimming." Aftermarket will come up with a lift kit, 4'' might be a little much imho, I think 2'' would be perfect if any. Coil over suspension and solid axel would be easy to replace but at 4'' you most likely need to start extending brake lines and get geometry corrected suspension
Apparently had a 2” body lift for those

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
2" extra depth for your left foot on RHD models!

Taxi.....

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Anyone know the final gear ratio, how big of tires can fit (functionally) without modification, if there is space to replace suspension with something with longer travel? In the U.S., the suspension travel is on the low end for something meant for offroad, and I'd love to know if one can lift the Grenadier about 4 inches and throw 35 inch tires on. I understand that such a lift would require replacing upper control arms at least... but is that even possible?... is it even possible to increase travel by replacing the bilsteins? Which bilsteins does it come with? When coming to the U.S., such modifications are highly desired. Thanks!
What are the USA regulations re mods , insurance , warranty?

Local time
Reaction score
No regulations preventing one from lifting suspension that I’ve ever heard of - at least not a lift of 1-6 inches. We are getting regs preventing excessive lowering as dragging parts create sparks, hence fire danger (especially in the dry West). I’ve never understood lowering a car, but whatever.

My insurance has been unaffected by 2-inch suspension lift to Jeep JK and to Tacoma. I’m sure it varies by insurance company.

Warranty impact is usually manufacturer based. It also varies a bit by dealership, with dealers that cater to the off-road crowd sometimes being more forgiving and honoring warranties even of a modified vehicle (case by case).

Local time
Reaction score
Final drive ratio 4.10:1

Lifting over 2 inches usually creates problems. If you really want to run 35s, I’d suggest running it stock as long as possible - just to see how it goes for you (maybe the stock tires will be okay). Waiting will also give the aftermarket time to develop. If you still want the 35s after 6-12 months, I’d guess a 1.5 or 2 inch suspension lift would do the trick. Hopefully, there will be a suspension kit available by then. The one potential issue I see with lifting the Grenadier is that the front control arms are short, and so the angle of these arms will get steep with a lift, and this might ruin the suspension geometry. Another advantage to waiting on bigger tires is that the aftermarket will figure-out the problems. A good company (like Old Man Emu) won't sell a lift that ruins the geometry. By waiting, you will know what mods you need in order to successfully run larger tires. It would suck to lift it, buy tires, and find that it is super squirrelly on the road. I suppose it is also possible that no one puts in a ton of research on lifting the Grenadier. If that is the case - all the more reason not to be the guinea pig! Lastly, if you know that you need 35s to drive the trails you want to drive, I'd suggest waiting before you buy the Grenadier - at least until you know that there are good options for a lift and other necessary mods.

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
No regulations preventing one from lifting suspension that I’ve ever heard of - at least not a lift of 1-6 inches. We are getting regs preventing excessive lowering as dragging parts create sparks, hence fire danger (especially in the dry West). I’ve never understood lowering a car, but whatever.

My insurance has been unaffected by 2-inch suspension lift to Jeep JK and to Tacoma. I’m sure it varies by insurance company.

Warranty impact is usually manufacturer based. It also varies a bit by dealership, with dealers that cater to the off-road crowd sometimes being more forgiving and honoring warranties even of a modified vehicle (case by case).
There are all sorts of car modding TV programs that emanate from the USA and are broadcast downunder.
We just shake our heads at how many of the mods are allowed on the streets.
Here anything reasonably significant (over 2" lift, even very large tyres etc) has to be signed off on by a competent engineer.
Otherwise it is illegal.
And no it's not a nanny country as some would have you believe. It's done in the interests of safety.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Surely there is an amendment in the US that gives everyone the right to lift the damn car as high as they want. It would be a god given amendment as well. (please don't shoot me, it was a joke)

Local time
5:07 AM
Reaction score
Regarding insurance; there's no U.S. federal regulation(s), per se that, requires insurance policy adjustment for aftermarket suspension changes. However, there are some considerations to note:
  • Auto insurance policies for comprehensive and collision coverage are modeled to repair a vehicle to its pre-loss condition. If the insurance company doesn't know about your suspension modifications (or roof top tent, etc.), they won't pay for their replacement.
  • If you never report the suspension changes to your insurance company and modify your policy accordingly - and then you get into an accident - the insurance adjustor can now claim that the accident was caused by your suspension changes and deny your entire claim.
  • If you're in an accident with another motorist, that motorist can retain an attorney and - because you have a lifted truck with aftermarket parts that you probably didn't tell to your insurance company - that party can/will be able to successfully sue you into the ground for the damage/loss of their vehicle and any medical care for injuries. Since you never reported the aftermarket suspension parts to your insurance company nor adjusted your collision coverage, you're just a juicy fat target.
  • Some insurance companies in the U.S. won't cover lifted trucks at all. (In particular, GEICO and Progressive have been discussed over on the Toyota Tacoma forums as not covering their lifted trucks. (Others have reported that Liberty Mutual won't cover modified / lifted trucks.)
So, at least in regards to insurance, ignorance (or omitting to report your modifications) is not bliss. If you lift your truck (or just add anything else like rooftop tent, etc.), protect yourself. Call your insurance company and discuss your options (e.g., add the new equipment to your auto policy, adjust your coverage, etc.)

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The rules are put in place because someone did something stupid. 95% of the population are controlled because 1% were stupid.
What do the other 4% do? 🤔

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
11:07 AM
Reaction score
They have already done the "right" things in anticipatory obedience.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
11:07 AM
Reaction score
The rules are put in place because someone did something stupid. 95% of the population are controlled because 1% were stupid.
And because this one percent thinks it knows what is right for the other 99%.

Local time
3:07 AM
Reaction score
No matter what happens, someone in the US will find a way to get 37" tires on this thing. Its a durable solid axle turbo charged v6, its unavoidable. I am willing to bet it will require less work than a Tacoma/Fj/4Runner to fit larger tires.

Also what makes this thing cool is even if Australia comes up with something first, we can order it. Not many US sold 4x4 vehicles have the option to find vendors world wide that make upgrades for them.

Back
Top Bottom