The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Strange vibration/rattle

Kevin Mokracek

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:59 AM
Reaction score
I just started getting a strange rattle after I drive over a speed bump or other abrupt dip or bump. It sounds like its coming from the front passenger side and even sometimes sounds like it may be in the roof but I didn't have a rack or safari roof. It sounds like when you flick a spring doorstop, you know the ones we all flicked when we were kids just to hear it twang until your dad told you to knock it off. The vibration happens immediately after hitting a bump or sometimes there is even a one or two second delay before the twangy vibration happens. I just dropped my truck off at the dealer to have the tow hitch installed and mentioned it to them and they hadn't heard of any complaints like it. I also told them don't spend much time looking for it because I need the truck back ASAP for a trip and I didn't want them tearing into it following a phantom noise.
Anyone else had any rattles they can't find?

FieldMonster

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
9:59 AM
Reaction score
I just started getting a strange rattle after I drive over a speed bump or other abrupt dip or bump. It sounds like its coming from the front passenger side and even sometimes sounds like it may be in the roof but I didn't have a rack or safari roof. It sounds like when you flick a spring doorstop, you know the ones we all flicked when we were kids just to hear it twang until your dad told you to knock it off.
I had a *really* irritating high pitched rattle that developed a couple of weeks after taking delivery. It reminded me less of a twangy door-spring (loved your description!) and more of a bolt in a glass jar, but it had a high pitched resonance (and an easy fix!) that makes me think it’ll be worth comparing. For me, it only happened when I’d drive over a cattle grid, or other especially rough surfaces, And gradually got more frequent.

Eventually I sat in the back seat and listened carefully while my wife drove around the roughest surfaces nearby. I narrowed it down to the boot, and then to the bottle jack compartment. It turned out the jack itself was rattling. I had to tighten it (rotating the neck of the jack to snugs it down into body). Blessed relief.

I hope yours is the same, as it’s such an easy and satisfying fix.

Dallas_TX_Grenadier

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
3:59 AM
Reaction score
I too have a strange rattle after I drive over a speed bump or on a bad road. I've only had the Grenadier for a week, and that is my only complaint so far. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet. I'm out of town right now, but when I get back, I will check the bottle jack. Fingers crossed it is as easy as that

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I just started getting a strange rattle after I drive over a speed bump or other abrupt dip or bump. It sounds like its coming from the front passenger side and even sometimes sounds like it may be in the roof but I didn't have a rack or safari roof. It sounds like when you flick a spring doorstop, you know the ones we all flicked when we were kids just to hear it twang until your dad told you to knock it off. The vibration happens immediately after hitting a bump or sometimes there is even a one or two second delay before the twangy vibration happens. I just dropped my truck off at the dealer to have the tow hitch installed and mentioned it to them and they hadn't heard of any complaints like it. I also told them don't spend much time looking for it because I need the truck back ASAP for a trip and I didn't want them tearing into it following a phantom noise.
Anyone else had any rattles they can't find?
Hi Kevin Mokracek, There has been at least one forum member who reported sound coming from the steering stabilizer, almost like a bell being struck. Turned out his stabilizer needed replacing. Something to check out.
DaBull

Steveo

Global Grenadier #1009
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:59 PM
Reaction score
I took my Grenadier to the forest at the weekend and on some types of gravel road I could promote rattles in the headlining. This will be wiring harnesses no doubt.
The solution is to wrap them in open cell foam.
Another job on the list!

Kevin Mokracek

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Kevin Mokracek, There has been at least one forum member who reported sound coming from the steering stabilizer, almost like a bell being struck. Turned out his stabilizer needed replacing. Something to check out.
DaBull
MY truck is at the dealer currently getting the hitch installed, as soon as I get it back I'll crawl under and take a closer look.

Jack123

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I took my Grenadier to the forest at the weekend and on some types of gravel road I could promote rattles in the headlining. This will be wiring harnesses no doubt.
The solution is to wrap them in open cell foam.
Another job on the list!

Thanks for sharing Steveo!

Dallas_TX_Grenadier

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
3:59 AM
Reaction score
I too have a strange rattle after I drive over a speed bump or on a bad road. I've only had the Grenadier for a week, and that is my only complaint so far. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet. I'm out of town right now, but when I get back, I will check the bottle jack. Fingers crossed it is as easy as that
Confirmed it was the bottle jack that was the culprit of my rattle, no more rattle after tightening. Super simple fix, incredibly happy now

Kevin Mokracek

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine is getting worse, today while on some mildly bumpy roads the rattle was worse than ever and even persisted for a few seconds after I stopped at times. It also seems to coincide with the RPM of the drive train or wheel speed, the slower or faster I went the rattle kept pace. I crawled under and looked for any loose heat shields, stray branch or anything that might cause it and no luck so far.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:59 PM
Reaction score
Mine is getting worse, today while on some mildly bumpy roads the rattle was worse than ever and even persisted for a few seconds after I stopped at times. It also seems to coincide with the RPM of the drive train or wheel speed, the slower or faster I went the rattle kept pace. I crawled under and looked for any loose heat shields, stray branch or anything that might cause it and no luck so far.
Do you have any "helpful" buddies nearby?
Wheel noise

khmarks

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:59 AM
Reaction score
I took my Grenadier off-road today, and began to experience a similar rattle after a few hours. For me, it seems to be coming from the passenger side and front of the dash or inside the engine compartment. Would love to hear what you learn.

Kevin Mokracek

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I took my Grenadier off-road today, and began to experience a similar rattle after a few hours. For me, it seems to be coming from the passenger side and front of the dash or inside the engine compartment. Would love to hear what you learn.
I crawled under mine today to see what I could find after hearing it more today while off road. I am not sure if I found it yet, still need to take it out and test it but I did find a loose panel in the right front wheel well which is where it felt like rattle was coming from. In the front of the wheel well on both sides is a vented plastic cover that covers the front of the wheel well. It is bolted on at the bottom but at the top it is held in place by two plastic panel pins. One of the pins was not pushed in all the way and I couldn't get it to push in all the way no matter what I did. Because this one pin is loose it causes the panel to rattle or vibrate. My temporary fix was to take some super tacky two sided silicon tape and tear off a long piece and rolled it up in what essentially was a super sticky mass and shoved it into the gap of the panel and the pin.

I am crossing my fingers that this is the source of the rattle. I have a long off road trip planned next week so I will certainly find out then.

khmarks

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I crawled under mine today to see what I could find after hearing it more today while off road. I am not sure if I found it yet, still need to take it out and test it but I did find a loose panel in the right front wheel well which is where it felt like rattle was coming from. In the front of the wheel well on both sides is a vented plastic cover that covers the front of the wheel well. It is bolted on at the bottom but at the top it is held in place by two plastic panel pins. One of the pins was not pushed in all the way and I couldn't get it to push in all the way no matter what I did. Because this one pin is loose it causes the panel to rattle or vibrate. My temporary fix was to take some super tacky two sided silicon tape and tear off a long piece and rolled it up in what essentially was a super sticky mass and shoved it into the gap of the panel and the pin.

I am crossing my fingers that this is the source of the rattle. I have a long off road trip planned next week so I will certainly find out then.
Really appreciate the feedback. I'll look into this over the weekend and let you know what I find online. Look forward to hearing how things work out on your next trip. Cheers!

khmarks

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Quick correction to above. It should say "on mine", not online.

Kevin Mokracek

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Going for a quick ski tour with my dog this morning, I'll encounter some bumpy roads that might cause the rattle so I will report back if I find any change.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I had exactly the same issue a few months back with the vented front part of the wheel arch liner. Not attached at the top and rattling so I mIMG_7366.jpegIMG_7365.jpegade holes and cable tied it to the main part of the wheel arch liner. Job done 👍🏼

Kevin Mokracek

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well that wasn't it. First bump I hit this morning started the vibration. It really sounds like its behind the passenger side dash area

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well that wasn't it. First bump I hit this morning started the vibration. It really sounds like its behind the passenger side dash area
I've one in exactly the same place. It is only intermittent but can start on a good road and stop on a good road. I coming to the conclusion it is a combination of speed and revs setting up so sort of resonance

Back
Top Bottom