The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Strange noise/behaviour

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:19 AM
Reaction score
So I was on the 2 lane highway the other day, doing 100kph and came up behind a slower truck, a little light rain and road was slightly wet, had to slow a little to let a car overtake me and when it passed I accelerated firmly while steering out into the outer lane to pass the truck, as I did so I got a god awful grinding shuddering sound. I backed off a bit and it stopped and then all was normal again. I tried to replicate it a few times but didn’t happen again. Anybody else experienced anything like this. I am thinking (hoping I guess) that I accelerated a bit too hard and the road being a bit wet that it activated the ESC/Traction control and that’s what it was but 🤷🏼‍♂️

Sillius Soddus

Production/Transit
Local time
1:19 PM
Reaction score
Did it sound like marbles in a blender? If so, it could be detonation caused by poor quality fuel, dirty MAF sensor, or dirty throttle body. I have had this happen in a couple of cars and only under WOT. Wiping off the MAF sensor and sticking to a specific brand of fuel solved that issue for me.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Did it sound like marbles in a blender? If so, it could be detonation caused by poor quality fuel, dirty MAF sensor, or dirty throttle body. I have had this happen in a couple of cars and only under WOT. Wiping off the MAF sensor and sticking to a specific brand of fuel solved that issue for me.
Diesel, so no, don’t think so.

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For what it's worth I’ve had the ESC activate a few times, and I’ve never noticed a grinding shuddering sound, just the ESC light flashing on the warning light display.

IMG_9018.jpeg

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was too focused on the road to look to see if there was any ESC activation lights etc.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For what it's worth I’ve had the ESC activate a few times, and I’ve never noticed a grinding shuddering sound, just the ESC light flashing on the warning light display.

View attachment 7838210
May have been tyre noise if I lost traction for a hit as well, I have the BFGs and can imagine that on bitumen they could make some noise if scrabbling plus ESC activation etc. but slightly worrying except I couldn’t make it donit again even if I tried and I did and there were no ongoing fault or warning messages and it’s driving just fine now.

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
May have been tyre noise if I lost traction for a hit as well, I have the BFGs and can imagine that on bitumen they could make some noise if scrabbling plus ESC activation etc. but slightly worrying except I couldn’t make it donit again even if I tried and I did and there were no ongoing fault or warning messages and it’s driving just fine now.
Hopefully everything's OK. Thinking about it, most of the times I’ve noticed the ESC light flashing have been on dirt roads, with lots of road noise. The couple of times I’ve noticed it on the bitumen, I was actually going fairly slowly, on very tight uphill bends, so maybe it would be noisier if it’s engaging at a higher speed.

Back
Top Bottom