The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Strange grinding noise from the drivetrain + solution

alexandruast

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:37 AM
Reaction score
I took mine for a short bumpy ride.
Attached recording of the sound.
Brought back the car to the dealer to fix the issue.
The culprit are some underside cable holders that got loose in the process of going over bumps, and the holders(and cables, probably) were now being scraped by the front shaft.
Fix is in progress (new clips or zip ties :))

Attachments

• New Recording.m4a.zip
    34.4 KB · Views: 21

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:37 AM
Reaction score
I took mine for a short bumpy ride.
Attached recording of the sound.
Brought back the car to the dealer to fix the issue.
The culprit are some underside cable holders that got loose in the process of going over bumps, and the holders(and cables, probably) were now being scraped by the front shaft.
Fix is in progress (new clips or zip ties :))
Would that be the Bowden cables from the transfer box to the low/high range and diff lock shifter. 🤔

alexandruast

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I will confirm with the dealer later today.
I am one of the few fortunate forum members who has the perfect love triangle for the IG:
I live 10 minutes away from the dealer (Automobile Bavaria Otopeni), the account manager is a friend of mine and the workshop has weekend shifts :)

He went over the board with everything so far - After I test drove the IG and explained what options I want, he got the car ready for me in three days, even the cars they already had sitting there were not equipped from factory with what I wanted. He exchanged the 18" alloys with 17" steelies, installed side steps and table, removed some things I did not want from the equipped car - rear dividers and roof rails, adjusted the price to reflect the changes, also made a generous discount.

After my first issue with the IG yesterday, I met with him at 8PM, crawled under the car, looked into how to fix the problem, assured me that it will be done first thing today. He could fix it there with zip ties, but kindly asked me to leave it for the technicians to inspect what went wrong (I drove it pretty hard for it's first shakedown trip), so they could improve it. Thumbs up so far!
I will keep you updated.

Last edited:

alexandruast

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Is that for the transfer box (Bowden) cables 🤔
The agent said that it was the handbrake, but I don't think so because it was the front shaft grinding and the handbrake goes through the cabin a lot back. Possibly the Bowden.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:37 AM
Reaction score
The agent said that it was the handbrake, but I don't think so because it was the front shaft grinding and the handbrake goes through the cabin a lot back. Possibly the Bowden.
Well for info I had the transfer box Bowden cables come out of their fixings and also the handbrake cable at an earlier point but the handbrake cable was discovered before it became a problem. All rubbing on the prop shaft. All fixed now with a belt and braces job

Attachments

• 4c5425e7-27ae-4492-a38c-fdb9c48a9d93.jpeg
    4c5425e7-27ae-4492-a38c-fdb9c48a9d93.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 3015c980-f74d-45e7-b0fb-b27a39440fdd.jpeg
    3015c980-f74d-45e7-b0fb-b27a39440fdd.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:37 AM
Reaction score
This was the culprit. It fell off the chassis and the steel insert was not present. Probably a factory assembly error.
View attachment 7851871
I hade the same clip come loose on my Grenadier. My dealer replaced it when they did the trailer hitch and software update, but I need to take look at what they fixed. They did tell me they left my cable tie fix in place when replacing the clip.

Back
Top Bottom