The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steel valve stems

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:14 AM
Reaction score
INEOS has used steel valve stems (thanks @Jean Mercier for the picture) to reduce the risk of damage to them when spinning in mud and sand etc. In theory this sounds like a good idea. But I do wonder whether it’s actually true? I wonder in fact if a rigid stem is actually more likely to get bent or damaged than rubber or plastic as it has no give, whereas a more flexible one might bend as you brush past an obstacle and return once past? 🤔

FC781A53-FC4C-4D83-A274-7599F120C7B4.jpeg

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:14 PM
Reaction score
INEOS has used steel valve stems (thanks @Jean Mercier for the picture) to reduce the risk of damage to them when spinning in mud and sand etc. In theory this sounds like a good idea. But I do wonder whether it’s actually true? I wonder in fact if a rigid stem is actually more likely to get bent or damaged than rubber or plastic as it has no give, whereas a more flexible one might bend as you brush past an obstacle and return once past? 🤔

View attachment 7803628
They have been standard on L/R Discovery for years so should be time tested.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They have been standard on L/R Discovery for years so should be time tested.
Really? I have to admit to not having a clear memory but I don’t recall my D3 having them? Very possible I am wrong though

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:14 PM
Reaction score
Maybe the tire pressure monitoring system requires metal valves? How otherwise would it be possible to fix the electronic part to the rim?
that's what I am thinking. Only car we have with them is the RR and that's the only one with pressure monitoring system. Its also the newest car at 4 years old.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
that's what I am thinking. Only car we have with them is the RR and that's the only one with pressure monitoring system. Its also the newest car at 4 years old.
I drove a Fiat 500 in Sardinia and Sicily in 2019 that had it.
Just told me one of the tyres was low not which one
my 2014 MB has it also

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I drove a Fiat 500 in Sardinia and Sicily in 2019 that had it.
Just told me one of the tyres was low not which one
my 2014 MB has it also
Our Volvo has it but uses wheel speeds to assess. Thus it's not failsafe and needs a reset now and again.
My '94 Disco has it. $35 delivered , and it's worked extremely well in all conditions for 3 years :D Tells me wheel temps also , useful if you are heating up a bearing...

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:14 PM
Reaction score
Porsche
uses steel valves, rubber valves can overturn at high speeds due to centrifugal force and lose air.
thank god for the german autobahn, my 911 runs ~ 320 km/h

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:14 PM
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom