The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Squaring off wheel wells

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:25 PM
Reaction score
My horse is so far ahead of my cart that I should’t even be thinking about getting ahold of a Grenadier. But I can’t stop and I’m constantly thinking about it. That said…

I came across this website “Saddlebag” Although this is designed for the 4 Runner, I think something like this would be perfect to square up the space over the wheel wells. The final configuration Gren rear cargo area is yet to be seen, but from the images I’ve seen thus far, the spaces over the wheel wells aren’t too flat and thus not too useful.

Thoughts?

You can see a pro type in use. The prototype is 3D printed but what seems to be the final product looks injection molded.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:25 AM
Reaction score
Someone’s going to have to come up with something back there. There’s not a lot of depth in the back so I’ve already been thinking of how to use all the vertical space the IG has. Whole new ballgame that’s going to require layers of temp shelving or something to get a fridge and 3 weeks of gear in there for remote travel.
Next comes ripping out second row seats and designing a suspended floor to store gear there.
It was easier with the 100 Series and 200 Series landcruiser because some smarter people had already come up with ideas I could steal. If I do a trip in August I’ll probably have to use my own brain to come up with ideas, and it’s not that big. 😂😂

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I saw an interesting setup on a 4 Runner that removed the 60% seat but kept the 40. There was a permanent platform on the seatless side and then a flip down side over the 40. Then if the back seat was needed the platform flipped up.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Someone’s going to have to come up with something back there. There’s not a lot of depth in the back so I’ve already been thinking of how to use all the vertical space the IG has. Whole new ballgame that’s going to require layers of temp shelving or something to get a fridge and 3 weeks of gear in there for remote travel.
Next comes ripping out second row seats and designing a suspended floor to store gear there.
It was easier with the 100 Series and 200 Series landcruiser because some smarter people had already come up with ideas I could steal. If I do a trip in August I’ll probably have to use my own brain to come up with ideas, and it’s not that big. 😂😂
By August, plenty of people will have turned their minds and hands onto the solution of storage.
By February , maybe not so many...

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Very true. It’s been said in a variety of contexts, but one big upside for us North Americans having to wait is the after market will start offering a plethora of goodies by then. Hopefully any bugs that pop up with the build will be worked out.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
By August, plenty of people will have turned their minds and hands onto the solution of storage.
By February , maybe not so many...
Yeah biggest problem is that all sorts of things will be made for the weekend warrior, but very few of them will handle 4,000km of coragations without falling to bits. But let’s wait and see.
It wouldn’t be the first time I bought ply, brackets and auto carpeting and knocked something up that looked crap but did the job.

Last edited:

Tu Sugars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Gus at KATA, a chippy in Sydney, NEW... builds these to suit, and yes, we all want something different. This setup in my VW slides in and out. I added an IKEA mattress and did 25,000 K in comfort. Rather silly, I have two gas cookers! - The bigger one when with others. Silly as I lived happily on the single burner and used only two aerosols in nine weeks.
My sink has plumbed water and operates on a second battery. I will do an Ecoflow next time over full-size lithium. Things have got so much smaller... and lighter.
I have a February build and watch the group's ideas with much interest. Thanks for the grand ideas so far.
I had a great chat with our local Sydney INEOS dealer - Alex - a friendly fellow with no pretence or flash office! He explained there were obvious whoopsies with emails/IT. Now putting a face and establishing a connection will, I think, make us all feel better. Happy New Year, Lads and Ladies...

Attachments

• My KATA build Gus's special.png
    My KATA build Gus's special.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 47

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:25 PM
Reaction score
Gus at KATA, a chippy in Sydney, NEW... builds these to suit, and yes, we all want something different. This setup in my VW slides in and out. I added an IKEA mattress and did 25,000 K in comfort. Rather silly, I have two gas cookers! - The bigger one when with others. Silly as I lived happily on the single burner and used only two aerosols in nine weeks.
My sink has plumbed water and operates on a second battery. I will do an Ecoflow next time over full-size lithium. Things have got so much smaller... and lighter.
I have a February build and watch the group's ideas with much interest. Thanks for the grand ideas so far.
I had a great chat with our local Sydney INEOS dealer - Alex - a friendly fellow with no pretence or flash office! He explained there were obvious whoopsies with emails/IT. Now putting a face and establishing a connection will, I think, make us all feel better. Happy New Year, Lads and Ladies...
I quite fancy having a go at building something like that. A nice project to keep me occupied in my spare time 👍🏼

Tu Sugars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I quite fancy having a go at building something like that. A nice project to keep me occupied in my spare time 👍🏼
I wandered around YOUTUBE and came on a few blokes doing different things, what we created last time was overkill. I think this time for the Grenadier it will be simple. The twin-opening doors mean we can have a smaller privacy tent which will appease the sometimes co-driver. Even as a mild windbreak, not every adventure has that perfect weather... Tie-offs on the Grenadier do give some new options - Fewer ropes, even a bungee cord might do... Time will tell!

Last edited:

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:25 PM
Reaction score
Yeah biggest problem is that all sorts of things will be made for the weekend warrior, but very few of them will handle 4,000km of coragations without falling to bits. But let’s wait and see.
It wouldn’t be the first time I bought ply, brackets and auto carpeting and knocked something up that looked crap but did the job.
4500km to Lappland scheduled for July. Ferry is booked. We travel with the 4 us. Hope IG to arrive by early May latest, giving me 2 month to build.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think the whole aspect of thinking about, designing & creating storage systems for the Grenadier will be so much fun for so many.

I have some initial ideas but I have decided that:
1. my storage system needs to be fully removable as my G will be doing multiple tasks
2. start with something basic (maybe DIY) in the short term/medium term and then either build on it as requirements change or scrap it

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:25 AM
Reaction score
Yep, nailed it. Did this for the Defender and it's the feature I miss most (I just sold it) - a single sturdy ply/carpet deck and drawer filled with all kinds of quick-accessible necessary crap. Simple and strong wins.

First version survived pretty well but eventually succumbed to corrugations, second version was reinforced and could handle stuff lashed to the flat top deck, a major consideration in my view since the entire contents of the rear jumping up and down places major flex/upwards loads on the drawer system and tries to wrench it out of the car.

Have to think of a similar approach for the Grenadier...

Back
Top Bottom