The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Sleep in the back of the Grenadier?

Local time
6:27 AM
Reaction score
I used to have an LR-3 and I loved that you could lay the second and third row seats down and stretch out to sleep. Beats sleeping in a tent!  The back of the truck was perfectly flat, and spacious.

I have not seen the Grenadier in person yet and I wonder if you can do the same with the Grenadier.

Local time
7:27 AM
Reaction score
Being able to kip in the back is something I'd like to be able to do too. 

I asked about this on the prototype day. The commercial two seater will have a completely flat floor, but the cargo floor of the station wagon, which is my preferred variant does not.

Although its cargo floor is flat and the rear back rests can be folded down flat (once the rear seat bench has been lifted up and rested against the front seats) there is a 3 inch or so step up from the load bay to the platform the rear seats are mounted on. 

I've read elsewhere online that the accessories list includes a drawer unit for the cargo floor that will solve this problem. The guy I spoke to on the day didn't know much about this, but did say that it would be relatively trivial to knock something up oneself to achieve the same thing, which is true enough I think.  I'd probably prefer an official solution, although there is currently no sign of it on the configurator...  Might be worth asking Grenadier if they're going to add it – I can imagine it'd be a fairly popular option.

grenadierguy

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:27 AM
Reaction score
Instead of adding the Garmin you could just use your phone and OnxOffroad or Gaia with Apple CarPlay or android auto. 

Local time
Reaction score
I read somewhere that phone navigation requires a link up with a cell tower. I may be wrong.

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:27 AM
Reaction score
From FB - "There is enough length for sleeping in the back if the front seat is tilted forward & you have built a platform. (For a 6ft adult or smaller)". 

Local time
Reaction score
Thank you for the photos. These are the first photos I've seen that shows the second row seat folded down. Wonder if one of the seats can be removed. Maybe that would fix the problem.

grenadierguy

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:27 AM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Javier  javcol userid=8882046 postid=1331782468]I read somewhere that phone navigation requires a link up with a cell tower. I may be wrong.[/QUOTE]
You can download maps to your phone on those two programs (haven't used either one) and google maps too actually. That way you don't need cell phone signal. And they all display through the car screen.

In regards to removing one of the seats. I believe they are mounted to the same elevated frame making space for a second battery and a fuse box. So I don't think that would be an option. There are also photos of this out there on the web somewhere. 

Local time
Reaction score
Thanks!
I didn't know that about the phones.

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:27 AM
Reaction score
So I am very firmly in the camp of people who prefer to sleep in the vehicle (or in an integrated camper top) rather than on a separate RTT. Weight high up, insulation warmth and general nimbleness are driving factors for this in my mind. I do this very effectively in my G-Wagon today.

When I saw the Grenadier in person at SF, these were my observations. The length from the back of the front seats to the back door is about 64-68", which isnt much..but because the Recaros are manually adjusted, you can quickly drop the back rest of the front seats and have a proper 78" sleeping length. So about 6' tall people can easily sleep inside.

I was told that the rear seat design is still not finalized as to how it will fold and/ or tumble. So it could fold flat or tumble in parts like a 4Runner. That may or may not change the sleeping possibilities. I intend to remove the rear seats and install a flat plate (like Goose Gear plate system) to create a blank canvas to build on so its not an issue to me. By my visual estimate, the aux battery, fuses and other paraphernalia under the seat was tucked well under the cargo load floor line. So I dont think a flat surface from cargo door to the back of passenger seats is an issue

The challenge is in the vertical height. I love to sit inside my rig during bad weather or in the evenings reading a book after everyone has retired at camp. My G-Wagon has a vertical space of ~48". That allows for a 10" storage space under the sleeping area and the ability to sit up comfortable for my height. This is even better in LR3 and LR4 with the kink in the cargo area roof line. The Grenadier has only 42". So if you put in a 10" drawer/ cabinet under the sleeping platform, you are left with ~32" of torso space to sit up. Thats the only challenge for me on the Grenadier.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
That was one of my observations as well when I saw it in LA. What I thought would work well though was if there was an option like the Ursa Minor for Jeeps and their pop up camper setup https://ursaminorvehicles.com. The access could be from the safari windows above the front seat. But you still don't get away from the really bad weather and sleeping in a tent sadly. 

Local time
Reaction score
Ursa Minor and Goose Gear are companies I never heard of. Thanks for the info!

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Stu_Barnes said:
That was one of my observations as well when I saw it in LA. What I thought would work well though was if there was an option like the Ursa Minor for Jeeps and their pop up camper setup https://ursaminorvehicles.com. The access could be from the safari windows above the front seat. But you still don't get away from the really bad weather and sleeping in a tent sadly. 

Yeah and I think thats where the conversation with Alu-Cab and INEOS is going. Infact if you see the Alu-Cab walk around video of the Grenadier, they even mention that the roof seems easily removable, rather than having to cut it off like a 70 series. I think they will bring their THOR conversion to the Grenadier. It should open up the head room space. I asked Alu-Cab as to how much weight the camper conversion adds and they said its ~130kilos. Thats actually very reasonable considering the added capability albeit a bit high up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsw3EvbHLxI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAwha2lKNkk

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Add a drawer system and a water tank down low and the metacentric height will lower back down, that’s before all the other rubbish I cart around on the floor of a vehicle is factored in ? 

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Speaking of which. I forgot to ask what the rollover angle was for the Grenadier when I was at the LA event. 

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Stu_Barnes said:
Speaking of which. I forgot to ask what the rollover angle was for the Grenadier when I was at the LA event. 

I think I heard the number was ~40 degrees.

Local time
Reaction score
damn I was hoping it was the same height at the LR3 ! Looks pretty tall in the pictures ! ?

Paachi said:
So I am very firmly in the camp of people who prefer to sleep in the vehicle (or in an integrated camper top) rather than on a separate RTT. Weight high up, insulation warmth and general nimbleness are driving factors for this in my mind. I do this very effectively in my G-Wagon today.

When I saw the Grenadier in person at SF, these were my observations. The length from the back of the front seats to the back door is about 64-68", which isnt much..but because the Recaros are manually adjusted, you can quickly drop the back rest of the front seats and have a proper 78" sleeping length. So about 6' tall people can easily sleep inside.

I was told that the rear seat design is still not finalized as to how it will fold and/ or tumble. So it could fold flat or tumble in parts like a 4Runner. That may or may not change the sleeping possibilities. I intend to remove the rear seats and install a flat plate (like Goose Gear plate system) to create a blank canvas to build on so its not an issue to me. By my visual estimate, the aux battery, fuses and other paraphernalia under the seat was tucked well under the cargo load floor line. So I dont think a flat surface from cargo door to the back of passenger seats is an issue

The challenge is in the vertical height. I love to sit inside my rig during bad weather or in the evenings reading a book after everyone has retired at camp. My G-Wagon has a vertical space of ~48". That allows for a 10" storage space under the sleeping area and the ability to sit up comfortable for my height. This is even better in LR3 and LR4 with the kink in the cargo area roof line. The Grenadier has only 42". So if you put in a 10" drawer/ cabinet under the sleeping platform, you are left with ~32" of torso space to sit up. Thats the only challenge for me on the Grenadier.

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
paulN186 said:
damn I was hoping it was the same height at the LR3 ! Looks pretty tall in the pictures ! ?

yeah but the base of the cargo floor is pretty high up. I don’t know what’s in the gap between the floor of the cargo area and the tail pipe (maybe it’s the space for the adblue tanks).
Ineos please give us a factory installed aux tanks in that area and I’ll forgive you for making the interior cargo height 6” too short. 

Local time
Reaction score
just measured the height in my LR3 and it is 42 inches!? Seems the same as the Ineos ? That is the widest point I could find going into the rear sunroof on my HSE.

I think it will be workable for sure ?

Paachi said:
yeah but the base of the cargo floor is pretty high up. I don’t know what’s in the gap between the floor of the cargo area and the tail pipe (maybe it’s the space for the adblue tanks). 
Ineos please give us a factory installed aux tanks in that area and I’ll forgive you for making the interior cargo height 6” too short. 

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Oh wow! The LR3 surely seems like it has more interior height. But if 42" works for you in the LR3 then the Grenadier should work as well. My G-Wagen has 47-49"..so maybe I am a bit spoilt.

Ultimately it comes down to an individuals total height and torso height. I am 6' tall but have a longer torso..so I need the additional headroom if I want to sit up comfortably on a sleeping platform.

Back
Top Bottom