The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Self-driving the Grenadier

To

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:50 AM
Reaction score
Is here anyone who can describe the off-road capability not only from driving the easiest courses like on the easiest experience days places. All themes are discussed, but not this one. On a new Youtube video you can see a Grenadier driving backwards from a steep gras hill. Why? Because of the drivers quality, the not useful tires, or while the car is very heavy. Or about all of this things. The grass hill was not a great problem for my old Defender. This is the threat to sample your experiences about your self-driving tests.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:50 AM
Reaction score
Would you mind sharing the video you mentioned?

To

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Would you mind sharing the video you mentioned?
Both, when you will. But with the focus on your own driving experience with The Grenadier off-road.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I have seen this video which was on a private airfield at some "Grenadier Experience Roadshow" in Bavaria.

The guy went backwards because the instructor (Kurt from Tyrol) told him to do so.

I scratched my head as well. But I think this was not a Grenadier issue as I had myself no problem to climb such a slope - which had however no grass and was dry. The weather was just so.

My impression was that the driver was a bit intimidated and Kurt didn't want to push him to something which he was not really willing to try.

---

I don't understand why you are so reluctant to link it here. How can one tell whether he had a comparable situation without having a comparison?

So here it is (you have to click "view on youtube"). It starts at 12:00:

There was a ditch right in front of the slope. So the instructor told him "back with power" because the Grenadier was sitting on the ground at the back.

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:50 PM
Reaction score
Oh my god! That was frustrating to watch.
I am guessing that guy hasn't driven a 4wd before.
The instructor kept having to maneuver the steering wheel and gear selector for him
I would have yelled at him to hold the damn steering wheel properly as well.
Put your hands in positions 9 & 3 with thumbs resting on those pads
Drive with confidence not like a learner driver.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
He's not a benchmark driver.

That's for sure.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:50 AM
Reaction score
At 9:52 the centre diff light goes out but I didn't see anyone unlock the centre diff?

To

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The instructor was changing so many things for him and steering he could have changed the guys clothes and he wouldn't have noticed
Hey, this is a great forum with lots of informations about the Grenadier. But sometimes i miss the fact, that the Grenadier is an off road car. Only in a few statements you can get little informations about the fundamentals of this car. We are taking about an rough 4x4. Bye a G-Class if you are interested by the night illumination of the infotainment system. My interest stays on the off-road capability. My old Defender is knock out by 25 years of heavy work, so i must bye a car to replaced him. I'm an arborist, and so the car must tow a trailer in heavy surroundings. Mud terrain tires are there an obligation. By driving the Grenadier myself, sorry, but i can bring the car to his limit, because the course are very very easy. Nevertheless the Grenadier had a touchdown. At this point, my Defender would not have. The steering dumper is very low. The tank is very low. The mounting of the rear axle is very low. Has none of you any problems with this point by your own drives? On You Tube you can see the lot of grinding traces the Grenadier tow in the landscape. The Defender with little adjustments left their no traces.
I must not list the lot of very good points on this car. There ist great number. But not all is gold. My old ragged Defender is in some points clearly superior. But my Grenadier cargo 2 seater will come in December 2022 - so an eMail by Ineos. But i am not totally convinces about the car. There are to much of not knowing off his off-road capabilities. But my contract coming soon. Perhaps someone of you can supply me with the missing informations. Thank you!

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I think that the information you are looking for is simply missing because no one has a Grenadier yet. And the 15 minutes at a driving event are at best good for the first impressions. Which in turn means that a lot of statements will just be based on guesswork. If you have ordered one and are faced with the decision of whether or not to sign the contract, imho you have two choices:

1. sign and buy. If it was not the right thing to do: sell.
2. do not sign and wait for feedback from some owners.

The second option will take some time to get results. Don't expect less than a year. And the owners will probably have different priorities than you. So, the first option is more attractive, but you have to accept some risk of financial losses, but it may also make you some money.

No risk no fun. ;-)

Last edited:

Pipm4000

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I drove the Grenadier on a wet course near Milton Keynes. The course was well rutted and muddy and whist not an insane off-road course was probably worse that anyone would sensibly take any heavy vehicle. It was incredibly easy for the Grenadier. I’m used to towing off-road with quad bikes and buggy’s so can tell when something is at its limit. The car I drove only had the centre lock diffs. With full locking diffs the limitations will be clearance and tyres. I have absolute confidence in its ability off road.

Local time
1:50 PM
Reaction score
Hello, Well went for a Grenadier drive yesterday here in Perth, WA at an Industrial driving instruction ground. The vehicle wasn't one of the prototypes but a 95% production model. I normally drive manual vehicles (Colorado, Hiux, Landcrusier etc) so Whilst I can't speak German I can understand what the gentleman in the video was going through. Having said that I can see the benefit of an automatic in loose sand. The Grenadier effortlessly trundles through sand with the tyres at normal road pressure. Handles hills with ease. It can be a bit choppy in ruts but definitely more comfortable than my present Colorado. The driving expert who was in the car with us said he thought I went a little fast probably because you don't have that jarring feedback that you get from a rear leaf sprung vehicle. Anyway I blamed it on the latest Lewis Hamilton video.
Having driven automatics in the past it was good to find the vehicle has an amount of engine breaking especially in low range manual mode 1st, 2nd. This probably removes the need for descent control unless you leave it automatic all the time. I would have liked to go rock climbing like you have go over in the Pilbara but overall it was a good experience. Even the wife said she didn't get thrown around in the back so there's a plus for passengers.
So if you want to be picky there's a couple of things. Any Aussie is going to say it needs a bigger fuel tank or a preferably a second one. Perhaps move the fuel filters underneath and have a second one on the other side of the prop shaft to the normal tank. Oh and a speed read out in the little fascia panel and the ability to turn it off in the center panel so your partner can't see it. Finally Being older I'm going to have to figure out a way to get the spare off and on the rear door.
Still a good vehicle though and glad I ordered one.
Grey Nomad

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
"Oh and a speed read out in the little fascia panel and the ability to turn it off in the center panel so your partner can't see it."

amen to that Grey Nomad!!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:50 PM
Reaction score
IMO the problems arise when people try to lift the tyre and onto the studs. Round back , straight legs, twist = ping
Practise this at home and if uncertain of this manoeuvre , hit the gym until the body is confident.
You do not want a busted disc on a rainy day in remote country!

Inez

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Another option:

Local time
1:50 PM
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas.

There’s plenty more on the web. However, most are for vehicles with tailgates like the 1st link and a lot are also permanent installations.

https://mirack.com.au/

I’m looking to have something temporary and light. At this point it looks as though I’ll end up making it myself.

Imagine the next links product is upside down and let you mind run wild. It will also cope with the 160mm offset of the hitch to the spare’s position. If you think about it.

https://www.manutec.com.au/products/caravanandcamperparts-1/dropdowncaravanlegs-1-3/

Finally, here’s something that appears to be simple, light and compact.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29158093.cfm

Perhaps the end result will be a mixture of ideas. I’ve got 6 months to come up with something in the shed.

For the other designers amongst you here’s an idea for attaching what ever you come with to the spare wheel. The wheel has 6 studs the mount has 3 studs, that’s 3 spare, for the lowering mount. Make a disc with the same stud pattern as the wheel. You’ve got it, attach the disc to the wheel with 3 studs and the mount with the other 3 studs. From the center of the disc have a pole or pipe welded to it. On the lifting device have a pipe that slides over the disc’s pipe with say a pin to secure it. Remove the mount nuts lower to the ground release the wheel and vice versa.

Well Ineos say they’re keen for people to come up with things and necessity is the mother of invention.

Back
Top Bottom