The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Safari Windows and Roof Racks- Does it limit options like tents and awnings?

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:21 AM
Reaction score
I’ve always liked sunroofs and open Jeeps. Disappointed with the small safari windows, but I’ll probably get them. That would limit my rack options, but is there a knock on effect on what I can get for those 270degree awnings and roof top tents? Obviuosly less roof rack space on top, but also shorter rails on the sides for mounting awnings. Thoughts?

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:21 AM
Reaction score
I have a short rack on my 4runner but still mounted a full length awning (2m). It sticks past the front by a foot or so, and 6 inches or so in the back. It mounts securely and hasn't budged. It does add a bit of wind noise but not much, and it looks like a full length rack from one side which is a plus. Just don't take it through a car wash and it won't go anywhere. Strength wise, I would have no concerns mounting a tent on top, but that might look too goofy for me.

Last edited:

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:21 AM
Reaction score
how big of a tent? The roof is much longer and a 2 person tent would probably fit on a 3/4 rack.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not sure. Not really planning on it, but since this is my ‘forever truck’, I don’t want to make a decision that severely limits my options later. I hate the sun (really heat), so I can see me getting an awning.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think this is one of the first times I've heard someone say the safari windows are small.... There's more than enough room to stand up through them.

Regardless of that, what tent and awning are you considering? That would be the important question. Although, even the "3/4" (or 5/6 or whatever the fraction(s) will be for the Grenadier from the masses) rack should fit the vast majority of RTTs and if a 2M awning can fit on a 4Runner's 3/4 rack, you'll definitely be fine. Again though, each awning has it's own requirements about un-supported lengths and what not

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:21 AM
Reaction score
You can mount a full size awning on just two crossbars so no, it doesn’t limit that. I dont use roof top tents, but my observation would be that depending what tent you choose you will still have options

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Small windows compared to the large ones on most cars nowadays. Plus the powerpanel in the overhead makes it so you can’t have a continuous one across the front.

Local time
Reaction score
Small windows compared to the large ones on most cars nowadays. Plus the powerpanel in the overhead makes it so you can’t have a continuous one across the front.
But, because of all the controls, sunglass/grrage door opener cubbies, and the ADAS cameras above the windshields in today's cars, their sunroofs—even the huge ones—start above your head. I think IA's design is brilliant, you can actually look upwards and forward with the Safari windows they way we used to be able to do with sunroofs in the 1960s

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:21 AM
Reaction score
I’ve always liked sunroofs and open Jeeps. Disappointed with the small safari windows, but I’ll probably get them. That would limit my rack options, but is there a knock on effect on what I can get for those 270degree awnings and roof top tents? Obviuosly less roof rack space on top, but also shorter rails on the sides for mounting awnings. Thoughts?
I don't think you need a roof rack for a roof top tent. To me it's like putting a rack on a rack if you are considering an aluminum clam shell design. The higher quality tents of that ilk include extruded side rails for mounting awnings, etc. as well as options for mounting stuff up top like solar panels and MaxTrax. Three cross bars should more than suffice for the tent and a full size 270 degree awning - and - hopefully (depending on the tent and crossbar height) - will not impede the opening of the Safari Windows. Going that route helps save weight up top because I suspect three cross bars are even lighter than a 3/4 roof rack.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't think you need a roof rack for a roof top tent. To me it's like putting a rack on a rack if you are considering an aluminum clam shell design.

Exactly, companies like LFD Off Road make specific "minimalist" load bars in place of traditional roof racks if all you'll be mounting up there is a RTT; saves a TON of weight on the roof and makes popping the tent on/off easier as well

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the insights. Just mainly trying to plan ahead. I'm more in a 'maybe buy, buy once, cry once'. Not sure what I'm going to do with this vehicle yet, just want to not limit my options.

retrorob

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:21 PM
Reaction score
I don't think you need a roof rack for a roof top tent. To me it's like putting a rack on a rack if you are considering an aluminum clam shell design. The higher quality tents of that ilk include extruded side rails for mounting awnings, etc. as well as options for mounting stuff up top like solar panels and MaxTrax. Three cross bars should more than suffice for the tent and a full size 270 degree awning - and - hopefully (depending on the tent and crossbar height) - will not impede the opening of the Safari Windows. Going that route helps save weight up top because I suspect three cross bars are even lighter than a 3/4 roof rack.
From my experience with the gutter flexing and rack mounting I would be really wary about putting all that weight on just two bars… but also agree there’s a lot of weight in a full rack and a RTT. Bit of a tricky one!

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:21 AM
Reaction score
From my experience with the gutter flexing and rack mounting I would be really wary about putting all that weight on just two bars… but also agree there’s a lot of weight in a full rack and a RTT. Bit of a tricky one!
That's why I'm going with three crossbars. That should be more than sufficient.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:21 PM
Reaction score
how big of a tent? The roof is much longer and a 2 person tent would probably fit on a 3/4 rack.
I spoke to iKamper - they told me the rack has to cover 3/4 of the length of the tent to work. Their 2.0 tent is 83" long, so the rack needs to be a minimum of 62"

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You can mount a full size awning on just two crossbars so no, it doesn’t limit that. I dont use roof top tents, but my observation would be that depending what tent you choose you will still have options
What sleeping accomodation do you use Andrew?

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What sleeping accomodation do you use Andrew?
I have a camper trailer, but will probably use a swag under the awning for Simpson crossing etc as I don’t want to tow a trailer for that

Local time
3:21 AM
Reaction score
the roof behind the safari windows is just over 2metres long( just over 78 inches) Thats the best i could do on my own with a tape measure in the wind

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
21kg total... based on the 14kg listing for the optional 2 crossbar set.
(I've ordered a "3 bar" set.. on which I can mount a roof basket and light-weight "Oasis" RTT -which I use as a ground based sleeping unit)

Back
Top Bottom